Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Irritates me how the ch7 guys state EXACTLY what you can see on screen !?

Examples:
• Tv Picture of ‘Crowd attendance 60k’
• Ch7 comment “ a crowd of 60k tonight”

• Tv Picture of ‘a bloody nose’
• Ch7 commentary: “ there’s a bloody nose”

• Tv picture of a ‘guy eating a meat pie’
• Ch7 commentary : “ and fan eating a pie tonight”

Hamish & JB the worst! 😡

Last edited:
I am going to get hate for this opinion but I do miss the days of Triple M on the friday night when it was Darcy, Brayshaw, Lyon, and Dunstall. They all seemed to actually enjoy footy and it kinda had an atmosphere of watching the game with your dickhead mates. Now everything feels soo corporate and sanitised.

I feel the opposite re ch 7. They're trying to be mates/blokey like MMM.

I am going to get hate for this opinion but I do miss the days of Triple M on the friday night when it was Darcy, Brayshaw, Lyon, and Dunstall. They all seemed to actually enjoy footy and it kinda had an atmosphere of watching the game with your dickhead mates. Now everything feels soo corporate and sanitised.
I used to enjoy the old TripleM banter too but it has become sanitised

Plus it can’t be replicated in TV. Used to like JB & BT on radio but TV doesn’t do it for me. And safely Spub’s gone

Has anyone noticed this year that Ch7 commentators have started using the word "agricultural" in all of their calls? Can't remember a FTA game this season that hasn't featured it. It's a particular favourite of Hamish, Alister and Darcy.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I feel the opposite re ch 7. They're trying to be mates/blokey like MMM.
I feel like they are trying to do it but in a way that doesn't offend KFC and other AFL sponsors.

I loved the old BT lines on Triple M. "It's a one point ball game and it's absolutely pissing down here at the G" on ANZAC day 09 or the JB getting all excited whenever Jake king or Stephen Milne got near the ball.

It always seems like they want to go one way but at the back of their minds they remember that they are on TV and they end up in no man's land.

Hell, I even enjoyed the chemistry of like 2018 Friday night of Darcy, Howie, Nathan Brown and Judd

I feel like they are trying to do it but in a way that doesn't offend KFC and other AFL sponsors.

I loved the old BT lines on Triple M. "It's a one point ball game and it's absolutely pissing down here at the G" on ANZAC day 09 or the JB getting all excited whenever Jake king or Stephen Milne got near the ball.

It always seems like they want to go one way but at the back of their minds they remember that they are on TV and they end up in no man's land.

Hell, I even enjoyed the chemistry of like 2018 Friday night of Darcy, Howie, Nathan Brown and Judd

Watching finals from the 2007-16 era just feel so much more intense because of Dennis, and even Bruce. Dennis commentating the 3rd quarter of the 08 grand final just has a feel of grandiose, intensity and occasion that can't be matched today. They both had a penchant for rising to the level of the game that BT and JB just don't have on channel 7. For me it is because I know what they can do when they are unleashed on the radio, so listening to a watered down version of themselves means you know they are holding back, so even in moments that should be epic/big it just feels like they are going through the motions. I wish 7 would just let them be themselves, people are going to watch the footy no matter what. I feel we are missing out on some epic calls, like what classic call has BT or JB produced that you can name off the top of your head in the last 5 years? It's all by the numbers. Or maybe I am just getting old and footy doesn't mean as much to me as it did when I was younger

Watching finals from the 2007-16 era just feel so much more intense because of Dennis, and even Bruce. Dennis commentating the 3rd quarter of the 08 grand final just has a feel of grandiose, intensity and occasion that can't be matched today. They both had a penchant for rising to the level of the game that BT and JB just don't have on channel 7. For me it is because I know what they can do when they are unleashed on the radio, so listening to a watered down version of themselves means you know they are holding back, so even in moments that should be epic/big it just feels like they are going through the motions. I wish 7 would just let them be themselves, people are going to watch the footy no matter what. I feel we are missing out on some epic calls, like what classic call has BT or JB produced that you can name off the top of your head in the last 5 years? It's all by the numbers. Or maybe I am just getting old and footy doesn't mean as much to me as it did when I was younger
BT and JB arer just too busy with their heads up each others bum holes telling in jokes and trying to be witty and funny.
That's why you feel the way you do.

It says a lot about the current standard of Ch 7 commentary that, while we can easily recall the highs of Bruce/Dennis as the above, the thing we tend to remember about BT's commentary is how many players he gets incorrect or his attempts to create excitement when a game is done and dusted.

was BT yelling "OUT OF BOUNDS" in the last 5 years?

other than that, maybe the Dom Sheed goal vs Collingwoood?

Personally I think that mindset is part of the problem. I don't care about the commentators making "epic calls", I neither listen for them nor want them. Commentators are like umpires - if they're doing their job well you don't notice they're there.

Unfortunately it's the exact opposite of the AFL and every single television network that covers footy. They think they are the stars and the players are just supporting them.

"Harris Andrews with that laconic style of play"

Safe to say JB doesn't know what that word means

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peanut Brian Taylor getting confused and thinking Port Adelaide is playing Collingwood instead of Sydney, we know you get the players mixed up peanut, but a whole team!

"Harris Andrews with that laconic style of play"

Safe to say JB doesn't know what that word means
Everyone knows what he means, so what's the problem?

Peanut Brian Taylor calls Tom Hawkins Jack, this clown really needs to go

Flips it, Slaps it, Dumps it, Caresses it, Clunks it, Little Give. If they have a heritage round this year maybe the commentators could use terms like kick, mark and handball for a bit of novelty value.
I'm no fan at all of BT or JB but in slight fairness to them, some variations to the usual description doesn't hurt also.

Yes! Luke Hodge can barely speak English. "these blokes are chuckin the game away"
Blame Channel 10 for this as they put in such a pathetic bid for the AFL rights which left the AFL with no choice but to give Channel 7 the rights to the football for the next 7 years.
But with the way Technology is going I can see the next AFL rights only being on streaming services and by then Taylor and Brayshaw will be too old and gone.

Blame Channel 10 for this as they put in such a pathetic bid for the AFL rights which left the AFL with no choice but to give Channel 7 the rights to the football for the next 7 years.
But with the way Technology is going I can see the next AFL rights only being on streaming services and by then Taylor and Brayshaw will be too old and gone.
I really wish Channel 9 would take an interest in the rights. It was only due to being on 9 for that 5 year period that the coverage improved at all from the amateur style it was prior to 2002, and it's gone backward since then.

I really wish Channel 9 would take an interest in the rights. It was only due to being on 9 for that 5 year period that the coverage improved at all from the amateur style it was prior to 2002, and it's gone backward since then.
Yes I agree to some degree but the next time to rights come Eddie will be too old

Remove this Banner Ad

Back