Review Changes for WCE: Round 14.

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I correct in thinking that harbrow and Dixon will be back after the Bye, how far off is Swallow?

Yeah I believe so, where do we fit Dixon in?

We need a new thread to discuss the next round. :D

Here we are!

Dixon is in line for return after a good showing in the 2s. Harbrow as well.

You would think Brown is also in line to return after his injury. May also to come back in if Rory is down. Just nurse him back.

I would go:

Out: Tape(inj), Thompson(inj), Wilkinson(omit), Russel(omit. Needs more than the bye week off to recover IMO)
In: Dixon, Harbrow, May, Brown

Setup to look like:

FB: Hine, Warnock, Brown
HB: Harbrow, May, Iles
C: Caddy, Hunt, Rischitelli
HF: Patrick, Dixon, Stanley
FF: Hickey, Day, Matera

Fol: Smith, Bennell, Ablett

Int: Brennan, Horsley, McKenzie, Sexton

Swallow still about a month away. Will have an update on that tomorrow hopefully.

Very nice to have Dixon and Harbs back into the side. Dixon has transformed into something else this year. His second and third efforts is very valuable to use when he's around the stoppage. Love it when he goes to get his own clearance!

Not expecting a huge game from Harbrow on his return. But if he can find some nous, that would be good.

Cheers Sunny ;)

OUT: Thompson, Tape
IN: Harbrow, May

Cant seem to find a spot for Dixon, unless we take out Hickey perhaps?

I would try Dixon to be a CHF and Brennan around the contest. Just to give us some more clearance power. Russell or Wilko out for mine.

Very difficult to see Dixon not included in the side with what he gave us.

Gotta remember, over in the West is a big wide ground. I'm not sure we can afford to not have some runners in there. That's why I dont see Dixon and both Hickey in the side.

Unless one plays in defence as they have the young atheletic Darling, Natanui, Cox, Lynch, 3 of those will be in the forward line at any one time which is a headache for any team. We will have Warnock (who isn't the most atheletic bloke), May who is a bit of a gorilla again probably not as agile. I suspect this might be a game where Dixon might get thrown in defence also? Hine, Brown, Harbrow, Iles aren't the tallest of players.

I would try Dixon to be a CHF and Brennan around the contest. Just to give us some more clearance power. Russell or Wilko out for mine.

Very difficult to see Dixon not included in the side with what he gave us.

I think Wilko might stay in for his fitness/athelecism. Might be a good matchup for Darling? Both young fellas, although Wilko gives up about 5cm, and about 5kg I think but might burn him on the rebound?

I think Wilko might stay in for his fitness/athelecism. Might be a good matchup for Darling? Both young fellas, although Wilko gives up about 5cm, and about 5kg I think but might burn him on the rebound?

I dont think Ive ever seen Wilko burn anyone off the rebound. And Darling is very quick. ;) Just not sure Wolko deserves senior selection after getting destroyed by Boomer last week. If he plays it will be as a purely shut down role.

I dont think Ive ever seen Wilko burn anyone off the rebound. And Darling is very quick. ;) Just not sure Wolko deserves senior selection after getting destroyed by Boomer last week. If he plays it will be as a purely shut down role.

That's a very good point Sunny. For a guy who broke the draft camp sprint record, Wilko doesn't use his pace anywhere near to full advantage. I can only recall seeing him really take off once and that was a while ago. He doesn't appear to be super quick over the first 5 metres but once he hits full stride he can really move. The problem with that, is that it is the first 5 metres that are the most important to get a break on an opponent in the AFL - being able to break clear of congestion. He uses his pace well defensively but not offensively. Perhaps K can teach him how to sidestep an opponent better.

Well it is Harvey, one of the greatest kangaroos ever? I dont think there is any shame in being beaten by a champion of the game.

I'll concede on Wilko seeing its so far 2 against 1 :p What are the suggestions to combat the Weagles tall timber?

Anyone know how far away Lynch is? I think Dixon needs to be used as combo full forward/2nd ruck, no room in this day and age to carry hickey/smith/Dixon among others in the same team. Id keep Patrick/Hine in the team for at least the next month and see what they can do.

That's a very good point Sunny. For a guy who broke the draft camp sprint record, Wilko doesn't use his pace anywhere near to full advantage. I can only recall seeing him really take off once and that was a while ago. He doesn't appear to be super quick over the first 5 metres but once he hits full stride he can really move. The problem with that, is that it is the first 5 metres that are the most important to get a break on an opponent in the AFL - being able to break clear of congestion. He uses his pace well defensively but not offensively. Perhaps K can teach him how to sidestep an opponent better.

I think Wilko does use his speed to the advantage, but we just rarely see him burn anyone off the rebound because he plays such a defensive role. He was breathing down Boomer's neck all night, which is a testament to his acceleration and pace I think. So if we see him take off, it's usually after someone that has managed to get out of reach. Which I think isn't a bad idea. It's very difficult to get away from Wilko when he's on his game, so long as he's not giving away too many frees.

Back onto the game, I'm finding it incredibly hard to get motivated about it. It will be good to see Harbrow at least back into the side, but... I just sense that we're going down for a pretty big loss. Very, very little chance of winning. The week after is no better. Playing the Cats after a road trip to Perth. Go figure. :p

Watch the media jump all over us again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flash had some nice write ups in the media for his game on the weekend, I thought he was really poor, fumbled, poor disposal, turn overs and must of been smothered 3 or more times. I didn't mind Hines game and thought he did OK on a clever player in Thomas. BTW I still think Thomas should be sighted for the dive across Seb Tapes legs that resulted in the injury.

Patrick & Hine are both inexperienced at the top level, so it was encouraging just to see them get so much of the ball in their first games for the year. The results from their efforts were not much different to say McQualter or Brown in previous matches, but if they can get used to senior footy, they could improve a lot. I'd definitely keep them both in for West Coast.

I think we're in for a hard time in the West. The Eagles are quite imposing physically, especially with Naitanui on the rampage.

No love for Mav coming into the side? Really? From all reports he's been solid in the 2s and has been more then ready to come back in if that's true.

I know Mav went pretty well against Broadbeach, but how did he go against the Lions in the 2s last week?

He's unfortunately just on the fringe. With Hine doing do well last week, it's hard to see who would come out? The only other out I could see for Weller is Wilko, but I've got Harbrow coming in for him.

Id go:

Out: Tape, Thompson, Russell, Hickey (Hickey unlucky but cant carry too many bigs on the wide subi ground)
In: Harbrow, May, Shaw, Dixon (all 4 are best 22 in my opinion)

disagree with this burn out rubbish. The kid is 19 or whatever, and played 4 games? 5? Run him into the ground, we have got Nicholls as well, Dixon to come back in as well, Fraser as a backup. Put him through his paces give him an opportunity to show his worth, let him get confident within himself and the rigours of senior football. We are changing 5 blokes almost every week, its a bit aggravating.

No love for Mav coming into the side? Really? From all reports he's been solid in the 2s and has been more then ready to come back in if that's true.
Until he performs in the seniors I'll be pretty apathetic about him coming in.

disagree with this burn out rubbish. The kid is 19 or whatever, and played 4 games? 5? Run him into the ground, we have got Nicholls as well, Dixon to come back in as well, Fraser as a backup. Put him through his paces give him an opportunity to show his worth, let him get confident within himself and the rigours of senior football. We are changing 5 blokes almost every week, its a bit aggravating.
But didn't we arguably do that with Smith last year and he has never really been the same since?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back