Prediction Changes Round 8 Dogs V Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

What I would like to see over what I expect to see are vastly different.

I expect to see something like:
Out: Weightman (inj) West (suspended) Lobb
In: JUH Libba Baker/poulter

I would like it to be something like:
Out: Weightman (inj) West (suspended) Lobb Bramble Duryea Daniel

In: Libba, JUH, Clarke, Freijah, Poulter Bedendo

B: Khamis Jones Richards
HB: JJ JOD Dale
C : Freijah Bont Poulter
HF: VDM JUH Garcia
F: Clarke Naughton Darcy
R: English Libba Harmes
Int: Treloar Macrae Williams Bedendo
Sub: Gallagher

Whoever is calling for Buku to be dropped is absolutely braindead. We’ve been calling out for an intercept defender for 5 years and we have one that’s taken the most intercept marks in the comp and generated the most scores since round 1, and some want to drop him?

He struggled last night. Fremantle cut us up through the middle and exposed our defence out the back 1v1. No defence would be able to survive that. If you don’t stop the ball at the source, your defenders have no hope.

Last edited:
He shouldn't be. Freo negated him but he is ultra professional and deserves a reprieve
It was very obvious that Freo were looking to isolate Buku and his opponent inside 50 and kick to a player on the lead, knowing he was less likely than Jones to land the spoil/intercept. It’s a side effect of our tendency to push so high into our forward half, leaving our defenders too often in 1-on-1s as soon as Freo are able to rebound. None of this is Buku’s fault. He’s an interceptor but wasn’t allowed to play to his strengths.

They exposed our defensive structure brilliantly, and any good team will continue doing this unless we find a way to improve our stoppage work and forward pressure, or completely overhaul how the entire side structures up (the latter being far less likely)

JOD is the next Shaggy type player IMO, I don’t see a high ceiling for Khamis and Daniel is done on the backline as far as I’m concerned.

Leaves Dale who can be hot and cold, JJ and Richards with Jones
JOD has had a better start than Shaggy who was a whipping boy for a couple seasons before becoming a fan fave.

Out: West (Susp), Flea (Inj), Gallagher (Rest), Daniel (Omit)
In: Clarke, Jamarra, Libba, Friejah

FB: Duryea Jones Khamis
HB: Richards JOD Dale
C: Williams Libba Jamarra
HF: Harmes Naught Garcia
FF: VDM Darcy Clarke
R: English Bont Treloar
INT: Macrea Lobb JJ Friejah
SUB: Bramble

I get Harmes is covering a wing as we're bereft of options, but given Fyfe, Serong and Brayshaw accumulating at will yesterday, I wonder at what point Beveridge plays Harmes as a defensive mid, even in bursts?
(Probably never. But WTF did we recruit him for?)

It’s been pretty clear for a while now that three players play predominantly as the inside mids with the aim of running them into the ground and getting steam rolled late. The tactic of running more players through there and keeping them fresher or having a defensively minded just won’t work even though it won a premiership.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarke to debut. Clarke to annoy the living piss out of Blake Hardwick and get belted in the goolies. Clarke to take his 50m, slot a goal, and smirk.

I don't believe Buku should be dropped, but to say he was only bad because the Freo midfield chopped us up or due to game style isn't completely true.

Being at the game I was watching him closely and there were multiple times he got completed out bodied by Treacy or other Fremantle fwds and didn't give much of a contest. A few other times he was too happy to sit back and let others contest or wrestle and didn't come over the top with enough desperation, which drew a few words from Jones / Duryea afterwards. He also dropped a few marks at times where he read the ball well and put himself in position to intercept, but couldn't finish his work.

He has been pretty good so far this year though and had plenty of friends also who were down last night, so probably deserves another chance and can learn a bit from the game.

I don't believe Buku should be dropped, but to say he was only bad because the Freo midfield chopped us up or due to game style isn't completely true.

Being at the game I was watching him closely and there were multiple times he got completed out bodied by Treacy or other Fremantle fwds and didn't give much of a contest. A few other times he was too happy to sit back and let others contest or wrestle and didn't come over the top with enough desperation, which drew a few words from Jones / Duryea afterwards. He also dropped a few marks at times where he read the ball well and put himself in position to intercept, but couldn't finish his work.

He has been pretty good so far this year though and had plenty of friends also who were down last night, so probably deserves another chance and can learn a bit from the game.
Everyone can have an off day. That's footy....that's life.

Out. In
Lobb. JUH
Weightman (inj) Clarke
Gallagher. Libba
West (susp) Scott
Daniel. Poulter

5 changes is a lot but 2 are forced, one is team balance (Lobb) and the other two are form. Gallagher has been poor 2 out of the last 3 games, and just average in the Saints landslide. Daniel is totally bereft of any form at the present time. Sad to see.

So you would play Tim, Darcy, Lobb, JUH and Naughton and also Jones, JOD, Keath and Buku down back?

Seems extremely tall.

agree, but not that much different to what they've been playing so far

So while we lose West and Weightman and still don't know if we'll get Libba and Ugle-Hagan back the Hawks have got their B&F Will Day back today so he'll be ready to star next week. They should also have Mitch Lewis back (36 goals in 2023).

I know Sydney smashed them today but that's just another reason for them to be up and about next week. Let's not assume this will be an easy win.

A debutant is fine but only one that's earned his spot. Not just for the sake of playing the kids.

So while we lose West and Weightman and still don't know if we'll get Libba and Ugle-Hagan back the Hawks have got their B&F Will Day back today so he'll be ready to star next week. They should also have Mitch Lewis back (36 goals in 2023).

I know Sydney smashed them today but that's just another reason for them to be up and about next week. Let's not assume this will be an easy win.

A debutant is fine but only one that's earned his spot. Not just for the sake of playing the kids.
I'm not convinced that West is gone. If he is, however, the bump is officially dead and should be written out of the rules of football....if it exists as a rule in football.....and if it does, whether it applies consistently at AFL level

Remove this Banner Ad

Back