Preview Changes v Carlton - Rd 5, 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

If Carlton has one weakness, it is probably in ruck.

If Hayes doesn't play this game, he likely never will under Hinkley, because Hinkley might consider that ruck weakness as justification for only picking Lycett.

After next week's debacle, I look forward to Michael Voss grinning like a Cheshire cat at his press conference, and saying proudly, "It's pretty clear who the brains in the Port coaches box was last year."

If Carlton has one weakness, it is probably in ruck.

If Hayes doesn't play this game, he likely never will under Hinkley, because Hinkley might consider that ruck weakness as justification for only picking Lycett.
Gotta beat them on an even playing field.

It's unsportsmanlike to take advantage of another's deficiency.

If he's faster than you, don't you dare try and slow him down.

If he's stronger than you don't you dare think you won't be wrestling.

If he's mentally susceptible to mind games, don't you dare get into his head.

We're not winning this one either, are we?

The only thing in our favour is we play the G much better than AO - the wider wings make it harder for oppo defences to bring numbers to every contest. There are also no crowd pressures.

I think this'll be higher scoring, so I think I'd be playing Farrell if ready.

Clurey and Bergman both OK on return, so that will help our rebound. A ten day rest may also help.

Out Ken

In

season 5 GIF

We lacked height against Melbourne and we will have a similar problem against Carlton. We will probably have to match up on a Carlton forward line with De Koning (203cm), McKay (204cm) and Silvagni (194cm) with Pittonet (203cm) in ruck. As if that wasn't enough in their backline Carlton have Weitering (196cm) and Young (201cm).

We need to find some extra height from somewhere.

After next week's debacle, I look forward to Michael Voss grinning like a Cheshire cat at his press conference, and saying proudly, "It's pretty clear who the brains in the Port coaches box was last year."
Voss was at Port 15,16,17,18,19 as well. Let's not conveniently forget them either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We lacked height against Melbourne and we will have a similar problem against Carlton. We will probably have to match up on a Carlton forward line with De Koning (203cm), McKay (204cm) and Silvagni (194cm) with Pittonet (203cm) in ruck. As if that wasn't enough in their backline Carlton have Weitering (196cm) and Young (201cm).

And Charlie curnow.

I’d bring in Hayes to play as a forward mainly.
He doesn’t even have to mark much just make it hard for the defenders to mark easily and walk it out. Our mini league has taller forwards.

And Charlie curnow.

Charlie Curnow (192cm) is not that tall, Clurey or McKenzie if he is fit, could match upon him but while one of them takes Curnow who looks after the others?

If we follow the same selection policy as last week we will not even worry about the opposition talls and let them mark at will just as Gawn, Jackson and May did last night. You would think Sam Hayes and Sam Skinner would be considered even if one of them starts as an interchange, at least they are there if things get ugly.

Charlie Curnow (192cm) is not that tall, Clurey or McKenzie if he is fit, could match upon him but while one of them takes Curnow who looks after the others?

If we follow the same selection policy as last week we will not even worry about the opposition talls and let them mark at will just as Gawn, Jackson and May did last night. You would think Sam Hayes and Sam Skinner would be considered even if one of them starts as an interchange, at least they are there if things get ugly.

Rule 1 of Hinkleyball- Do not try to think!

On a serious note Hayes is a well overdue inclusion.

Hayes is clearly a break glass in case of emergency player for 2022, just like Ladhams used to be. If he starts to play Ken will drop him as soon as Dixon is back as he ends up chopping out for Lycett. Ken's hanging on for life, he won't change much.

Charlie Curnow not playing?

Silvangi isn't that tall is he?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back