Preview Changes vs Saints May 4th 4:35 at Docklands [out: Stephens/Laz/WiPhi/Biggie / In: Sleevo/Pink/Arch/Shiels]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have dinner engagements next Saturday and thus won't be able to attend or even watch this game at all, so we're gonna win FYI
I be there standing up near some sort of bar to drown my swallows if are getting thumped but hay enjoy the dinner hopefully you will enjoy

• Sheezel to mid/fwd
  • Mckercher to the Sheezel distributor role
  • Surround Mckercher with actual defenders (not Scott, Sheezel, Fisher)
  • Simpkin to play wing
  • Scott to play wing
  • Pink to replace Biggie
  • Back 6 of Chom Pink Mckercher Hardeman McDonald Corr + Bergman
  • Drop Stephens, Fisher (one can be sub)
  • Powell to play midfield

FB - McDonald - Pink - Corr
HB - Mckercher - Chom - Hardeman
C - Simpkin - Sheezel - Scott
FOL - Xerri - LDU - Powell
HF - Lazarro - Greenwood - Duursma
FF - Curtis - Larkey - Zurhaar

IC - Wardlaw - Bergman - Drury - Tucker
SUB - IDGAF / Stephens / Fisher

I am so confident that this side would significantly out perform what we have seen thus far. Actual defenders playing in the back 6 + better wingman, will help us transition and defend transition far better. So far this year we have had Mckercher, Sheezel, Fisher and Scott all playing as defenders at the same time, that needs to stop. Greenwood as purely relief for Souv but also to second ruck and play a defensive role on their intercept defender. Midfield rotations of Sheezel, LDU, Powell, Wardlaw, Simpkin, Lazarro.

Until we line up something like this, I don’t see us coming close to oppo.

In: Logan McDonald, Sam Taylor, Zak Butters, Chad Warner, Jake Riccardi
Out: Will Phillips, Will Walker*, Tarryn Thomas*, Jack Mahony*, Flyn Perez*

Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

Actually a bit brutal when you look at all the players taken after who we picked & 4/5 aren't even playing anymore.
its not all bad, for example it looks like not all teams develop players better than us, take craftys VFL form after he wet to the suns,

1714307034338.png

The worst bit is, some of the players are hoping they get dropped. Put them out of their misery.

And, they still won’t.

Clarko has a big job to turn this morale and culture around.
Must bring in some experienced players to reset the standards and provide some sorely missed leadership. Our current leaders have gone missing.

The worst bit is, some of the players are hoping they get dropped. Put them out of their misery.

And, they still won’t.

Clarko has a big job to turn this morale and culture around.
Who are these players? When you look at the reactions on the debutant videos, there are plenty of them who are desperate to get a game and delighted when they do, and I’m tipping there are also a few more currently out of the team who would rather play seniors than VFL. Anyone who actively wants to be dropped should be, but I doubt anyone does.

• Sheezel to mid/fwd
  • Simpkin to play wing
  • Scott to play wing
  • Pink to replace Biggie

I am so confident that this side would significantly out perform what we have seen thus far. Actual defenders playing in the back 6 + better wingman, will help us transition and defend transition far better. So far this year we have had Mckercher, Sheezel, Fisher and Scott all playing as defenders at the same time, that needs to stop. Greenwood as purely relief for Souv but also to second ruck and play a defensive role on their intercept defender. Midfield rotations of Sheezel, LDU, Powell, Wardlaw, Simpkin, Lazarro.

💯

You forgot to drop Bailey scott

That would make a statement not tolerate the butchers crap anymore

No ones dropping Bailey Scott except you. Think about it. I'll give you a tip as well... you're not smarter than everyone else like you think you are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After watching the VFL game, imo, the only real candidates for promotion would be Bergman, Archer, and at a stretch, Maley, trouble is there are at least double or more current seniors worthy of demotion, talk about a selection dilemma.
Curtis Taylor had 25 and a goal. Was he any good?

He’s been putrid should 100% be dropped
I agree he has been putrid in that defensive role. But he has proven he can play on a wing which is where he is suited.

I know you don’t like him, but even you would have to admit, that Bailey Scott back to the wing over Cat Stephens instantly improves us.

The experiment of playing Stephens in this type of form in the AFL side has to end. We are throwing out team balance for the sake of one soft turnip. It’s madness.

Curtis Taylor had 25 and a goal. Was he any good?
Are we that desperate that we are going back to this well?

Once thought he could become a player but that was a long time ago. I didn’t watch the VFL this week, but his games prior to that weren’t flash at all.

At that level you should be dominating if you are considered AFL standard.

Kids are being let down by senior players. Need some strength in the midfield.
Out: Tucker,,,,,kicking out on the full in D50 with no pressure can't be excused. In Shiels
Out: Philips, can't move and confidence looks shot......In Greenwood, play him in the guts
Out: Stephens, go dominate VFL, do that and wont be hard to get back in!!!! In: everyone's favorite whipping boy Curtis Taylor.

Have to set some standards, and if senior players aren't delivering, the challenge should be to go back and dominate VFL, it should be easy enough to get a spot back considering how many ineffectual senior players are going round right now.

• Sheezel to mid/fwd
  • Simpkin to play wing
  • Scott to play wing
  • Pink to replace Biggie

Great post but unfortunately we have quite a stubborn coach in Clarko. It has its positives (backing in your players, not disrupting the balance etc)

But we are coming close to "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result"

Great post but unfortunately we have quite a stubborn coach in Clarko. It has its positives (backing in your players, not disrupting the balance etc)

But we are coming close to "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result"
Yeah I don’t disagree, I don’t expect us to roll out these changes this week either unfortunately. Until we do, expect same result every week.

our performances won't improve until we get 29-30 year olds with a few years left that can help with a culture change.

We won't improve our ceiling, but the floor is at the Earth's core. Needs to be addressed.

The only wins we'll get is against teams so cooked mentally they can't score heavily and we somehow get a run on.

Would like to see Clarko acknowledge what's not working. I think Stephens and Fisher can offer something with a differently structured side but currently their selection is having too many negative flow-on effects and throwing the balance out of whack.

My 2 cents:

Out: Stephens, Phillips, Fisher, LMac
In: Bergman, Archer, Ford, Taylor(sub)

• Shift Bailey back up to the wing primarily
  • Bergman slots in to HB
  • Powell back into the mid rotations
  • Sheezel & McKercher to rotate between HB and mid but should only be max 2 of Sheez/Kerch/Hardeman in the back 6 at any given time.
  • Ford HF but can rotate Tuckers wing

Backline rotations: Comben, Biggie, Corr, Archer, Bergman, Hardeman/Sheez/McKercher/Tucker

Wing rotations: Tucker/Ford, Scott/McKercher

Primary CB rotation: LDU, Wardlaw, Powell/Lazz
Secondary CB rotation: Jy, Sheezel, PC/Zurhaar

Forward rotations: Larkey, Duursma, Drury, Ford/Jy/PC/Zurhaar/Lazz/Powell

FB: Comben - Corr - Archer
HB: McKercher - Bergman - Sheezel
C: Tucker - LDU - Scott
HF: Ford - Duursma - Lazzaro
FF: Curtis - Larkey - Zurhaar
FOL: Xerri - Wardlaw - Powell
IC: Nyuon - Drury - Simpkin - Hardeman - Taylor(sub)

Wouldn't say this is my ideal side but feels more balanced to me.

Out: Tucker,,,,,kicking out on the full in D50 with no pressure can't be excused. In Shiels
Out: Philips, can't move and confidence looks shot......In Greenwood, play him in the guts
Out: Stephens, go dominate VFL, do that and wont be hard to get back in!!!! In: everyone's favorite whipping boy Curtis Taylor.

Have to set some standards, and if senior players aren't delivering, the challenge should be to go back and dominate VFL, it should be easy enough to get a spot back considering how many ineffectual senior players are going round right now.
Phillips and Stephens shouldn't be considered senior players. Really even Jy, Larkey etc shouldn't be considered senior players but they are cos our list balance is screwed.

Got enough Wingers in the team already. We don't need to replace one with another one from the VFL. We need backmen who are genuine backmen which will allow us to release our better wingers from their unsuited backline roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back