Prediction Changes Vs St Kilda round 4, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't there a study that you hit a sweet spot after 2-3 drinks, in terms of humour, charm and pool shots?
Lower doses of ethanol shut down the parts of the brain that control behaviour and inhibit extreme behaviour. Higher doses of alcohol do this too, but they also shut down other functions such as hand-eye coordination and other crucial things including blood flow!
It is probably the only recreational substance that causes permanent pathology change from the first dose.
It is probably the only substance where the actual process of withdrawal from addiction can be fatal in itself. Not just nasty like other substances, but delerium tremens (the heebie jeebies) is deadly.
Almost all cultures have developed ethanol production a very long time ago, for fun times as well as to 'purify' putrid water - except for some arid-region people (ethanol is diuretic so wastes body water) and very-cold region people (ethanol is a peripheral vasodilator, so just like its double effects on the brain, at first it opens up the small blood vessels and combats frostbite, but later on, core body temperature plummets and you die).
A lifetime of study of the effects of ethanol...
And as they said in 2nd year physiology, if you don't know the answer to the exam question, think about your own body.

If Allen is rested: -
Rotham Barrass Hurn
Cole Gov Shep
Duggan Redden Gaff
Waterman Darling Ryan
Cripps Kennedy Jones
NN Kelly Sheed
Nelson Winder Brander Langdon
Petch - sub.

If Allen is in: -
Rotham Barrass Hurn
Cole Gov Shep
Duggan Redden Gaff
Allen Darling Ryan
Cripps Kennedy Jones
NN Kelly Sheed
Nelson Winder Brander Langdon.
Waterman - sub. (or Waterman on bench with Langdon as sub)

Can't really resolve the emergencies. With Shuey out we you'd think we'd use Winder before Ainsworth, since he's flown. Why have Vardy and Waterman flown? -Vardy was emergency last week. Witherden been emergency 2 weeks running. Vardy and Venables on shopping/family trip to Melb? Waterman our best 22/24 bit rusty but handy. Wouldn't use Vardy surely, after Doggies episode? Ducks and drakes, will find out soon enough...

Last edited:
Zero chance they move Duggan out of the midfield in the absence of Shuey.
In addition to Duggo, who do you think is next in line for us for a stint in the middle. I read somewhere during the offseason JJ experimented there. Since we have many small forwards ( cameron, crippa, petch, ah chee and langdon) maybe time to take a gamble with JJ. your thoughts?? or even cole in the middle??

In addition to Duggo, who do you think is next in line for us for a stint in the middle. I read somewhere during the offseason JJ experimented there. Since we have many small forwards ( cameron, crippa, petch, ah chee and langdon) maybe time to take a gamble with JJ. your thoughts?? or even cole in the middle??
Although it was just a praccie against the purple mob, he actually did alright in the middle from what I saw

To be honest I’m surprised Brander seems to have gone past O’Neill, he’d be next I would have thought. Jones might do stints but I’m not sure they’ll pick him as one of the six full time midfielders. Then it comes down to Ainsworth (I know, I know) or giving a debut to Ledwards or Trew. Or maybe push Cole or Nelson onto a wing in order to give Witherden a chance, that’d be an option.

To be honest I’m surprised Brander seems to have gone past O’Neill, he’d be next I would have thought. Jones might do stints but I’m not sure they’ll pick him as one of the six full time midfielders. Then it comes down to Ainsworth (I know, I know) or giving a debut to Ledwards or Trew. Or maybe push Cole or Nelson onto a wing in order to give Witherden a chance, that’d be an option.

Nelson spent pretty close to half a game in the middle (either CBD or on a wing) against the dogs. Mostly tagging, but not all of the time.

TBH, once we lose Shuey and Yeo out of the team maybe having a full-time-tagger (or close to full time) isn't a bad idea. It is harder to win the midfield contest as our 4th/5th/6th best mids aren't as good/experienced as most oppositions - so maybe using Nelson to tag would work (and we have coverage/depth in the backline more than we do mid or forward).

Us
Used creatively we are beginning to have some midfield depth now, starting with XON+Brander.
Cripps and AhChee can also go through there. JJ, Cole, Nelson if needed. Then Winder, Trew, Ledwards. A couple are fillers, but the rest are solid....and last but not forgotten, Ainsworth...and remember that guy called Hutch?
Towards the back end of the season, should have great/versatile depth across the lines, injuries allowing.
We haven't had it so good (strong) for quite awhile...sets us up very well for September!

During the week Simmo made a comment that O'Neill got plenty of the ball in the WAFL and he's still working on a few things.

Translation: We think his defensive game sucks.

XON may have to play several good weeks before getting back in the senior side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is harder to win the midfield contest as our 4th/5th/6th best mids aren't as good/experienced as most oppositions
Take the best two mids out if any team (other than, maybe, the Bulldogs), and the depth that comes in is going to look shakey. It's not really a fair comparison.

I agree with your overall assertion that a dedicated defensive mid will be beneficial in the absence of Shuey and Yeo.

As a corollary to this, while getting Kelly looks like a masterstroke now, the intention of the trade was for him to play alongside the other two, not instead of them. If we can have all three fit and firing at the pointy end of the season, we will be hard to beat.

Also, it is important to note that NN has gone to another level which makes it almost irrelevant who we have in the middle. His tap work has become more complex. His tapping is equivalent to watching Shane Warne bowling. If you listen to the commentary it sounds like ashes series, NN is going over the top, or the flipper/flicker. I'm expecting NN googly this week. :)

Last edited:
Take the best two mids out if any team (other than, maybe, the Bulldogs), and the depth that comes in is going to look shakey. It's not really a fair comparison.

I agree with your overall assertion that a dedicated defensive mid will be beneficial in the absence of Shuey and Yeo.

As a corollary to this, while getting Kelly looks like a masterstroke now, the intention of the trade was for him to play alongside the other two, not instead of them. If we can have all three fit and firing at the pointy end of the season, we will be hard to beat.

Absolutely - not saying that they should be as good - just that as we find ourselves in the situation of 2 of our best 5 mids being out currently, the backup talent are naturally not going to be as good as some of the top-tier midfields we come up against.

I just want to see Nic, Shuey, Yeo and Kelly in the one team. We've only been gifted that 8 times, and Shuey went off injured in one of them. So call it 7.5 times.

It's arguably the most dominant and dynamic CBD rotation going, and we won't have it available to us for too much longer. If they're all fit and firing after the bye and leading into finals, it'll cause some headaches.

I just want to see Nic, Shuey, Yeo and Kelly in the one team. We've only been gifted that 8 times, and Shuey went off injured in one of them. So call it 7.5 times.

It's arguably the most dominant and dynamic CBD rotation going, and we won't have it available to us for too much longer. If they're all fit and firing after the bye and leading into finals, it'll cause some headaches.

Was a decent chunk of those times in the first Hub? 🤮

JJ seems to be pretty clean and not a bad thinker. Certainly has some of the attributes you'd want to see.
Not sure about his defensive side either way, but one thing he'd need to work on is his endurance.

I'm liking the idea of Brander as that Cripps/Bont sized mid with pretty good hands and decent skills.
Trew looks like the tackling machine we need and if XON can improve the defensive side of his game we could have a pretty good mid there.

What we need as a team is young guys to come through and push out those guys that were our #4-6 mids behind Shuey, Yeo and Kelly (calling Gaff a winger). Guys that were solid, putting in the occasional fabulous game, but overall not as good as the #4-6 that teams like the Dogs, Pies, Tigers etc. can put out.

Sheed is a pretty decent 4th mid.
Missed him for some reason. I was thinking the guys like Redden, Hutchings and so on that are getting on and slowing down a bit. And have always been solid B's at best.

And we need injury cover for the top end as well.

Was a decent chunk of those times in the first Hub? 🤮

Yeah, and how many of those was Yeo really, truly, fully fit for? He was sluggish to start, pushed through once Shuey went down, then came down with OP, which they all pretty much admitted he'd been dealing with for a while. Add to that Kelly's slow start to the year.

Would be nice just to have them all flying at once. Hopefully, in the grand final this year :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back