Preview Changes vs Tigers (Round 4)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't be surprised if Sweet is a late in now for Scott with no clear back up ruck option. Unless he goes the Dunkley approach again however would seem unlikely due to his shoulder issue

I love a good selection melt and as a board this week's performance has been pretty solid, but I don't really get the oft repeated view that we've substantially changed our structure this week.

We've made 3 changes to our 22.

The 1 unforced change was dropping a defensive winger, Roarke,r and replacing him with the most obvious Footscray player for the role, Butler

Then we made 2 forced changes;

- A KPD ,Keath, for a guy who has been playing KPD at the club we recruited him from, presumably to play the same role.

At 193 some say he's not a genuine KPD, but he's strong enough to play Ruck minutes, so he seems as equipped as any of the options I can see available to us this week

- Then a 3rd tall/hybrid type defender in Cordy for whom we chose Williams as the replacement.

Now maybe we could've selected slightly differently, maybe Khamis fitted the role slightly better, but Keath and Cordy are both experienced options and TOB and Williams are similarly experienced.

Cordy v Williams is not that major a change for mine.

I just don't get why people see these particular changes as being some kind of major change to our structures.
Agreed. Structure is more or less the same. Maybe a little bit more dynamic/rebounding with Cordy -> Williams, which I'm in favour of.

Gotta bring Sweet or Schack in. If Bont or Dunks go anywhere near the ruck, I’ll have a meltdown.
With Soldo out, Richmonds ruck structure most likely will be Nank doing the vast majority with Lynch or Balta doing the balance.

If so, we'd be ok with English going with Nank and then O'Brien following Lynch/Balta in to the Ruck as required.

That seems the most logical. What we actually do is anyone's guess.

I'm feeling a bit more optimistic about tomorrow. The Chicago Cubs beat the Milwaukee Brewers at Wrigley Field 5-4 in the home opener this morning our time. It was a bamly 6C at gametime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who will be the Tigers back up ruck? I'm assuming Balta. Unless we bring in Schache then we literally have no one else that can chop out (I refuse to list Dunkley). If Schache comes in then the sides are structured similarly.

Lynch - Gardner
Riewoldt - O'Brien
Balta - Schache (2nd ruck)

Naughton - Tarrant
Miller/Broad - JUH

Hardwick will definitely try to stretch our defense with Balta early on. If Naughton is getting ahold of Tarrant then that switch would be made later on in the game. Regardless of what happens, we have absolutely zero matchup for Balta. He can easily be the match-winner for them.

I'm guessing that Schache plays otherwise we're playing Scott in the ruck.... Surely...he has to come in.. I'm mean, come on.....?

Schache in for Hannan I’d be really comfortable with the team, he’s not going to dominate but at least can chop out down back, up forward or ruck wherever he’s most needed. Leaves us sooo much more flexible, what do we lose? 5 Scott touches & pressure acts? Even with Shache in we’re still more mobile than just about any other team that will get picked this week.

At the moment the glass half full side of my brain thinks this'll be the game we stamp our authority again as top four fancies. Play in a similar fashion to the prelim and the tigers are sitting at HT 10 goals down wondering what happened.

Then the glass half empty takes over and winces at the lack of any authoritative KPD against two established KPFs amongst some other tall timber. When the tigers have a dominant patch out of the middle they'll kick 5-6 goals in a 10 minute period and it's game over.

The reality is probably somewhere in the middle - we will generally dominate contested ball, territory and inside 50s but will only win if we have somewhere near half-decent conversion.

1-3 would be a lot to come back from for top four. Not unheard of as I think the lions did it only last year, and we have a fairly decent run of games coming up. But 2-2 having already played demons/blues/swans/tigers looks a whole lot better.

Hannan out may hurt us as they have some aerial threats in the back half.

We're going to need to clean up our atrocious inside 50s if we are to win this match

Remove this Banner Ad

Back