Senior Charlie Cameron (2017-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Charlie on, Eddie Betts

Charlie Cameron (Brisbane forward, teammate at the Crows for four seasons)

"What he's done for my career, in the four years at Adelaide, he's helped me to be the player I am right now. He brought me in when I was first drafted and, learning off him and living with him, to see what he does on the field and off the field … it's truly amazing. With him fighting to stop racism, it's huge. There's no better person than Eddie Betts at the moment. He's a special person. When he said that all he wanted to do was put a smile on people's faces, I'm pretty sure he's done that for 17 years. He's done a lot for the AFL, for myself and for young Indigenous kids as well. He's played a huge part in my life."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/666894/extraordinary-eddie-coaches-gill-stars-on-best-of-the-betts

Five Lions Named in All Australian Squad

Charlie Cameron, Jarryd Lyons, Hugh McCluggage, Daniel Rich and Dayne Zorko were all named among the 40-person strong squad on Monday.

Zorko and Cameron have earned their chance to collect a second All Australian blazer.

Cameron will also look to add another blazer to his collection after an impressive season in front of goal that saw him emerge as the premier goal kicking small forward in the competition.

With 47 goals for the season, Cameron currently sits as the leading small forward equal with Melbourne’s Bayley Fritsch.

Cameron Leads the Way for Lions

Article-Size-Template.png

It was another dynamic year for Lions fan favourite, Charlie Cameron.

The leading goal-kicker for Brisbane, finishing with 55 goals, the livewire enjoyed his second-best year in front of the big sticks.

Cameron also came fourth in the Coleman Medal race, finishing only 7 goals behind winner, Tom Hawkins and 3 goals off third place.

Trialled in the midfield following injuries to Cam Rayner and Lachie Neale, Cameron had a quiet start to the season by his standards.

The inclusion of Joe Daniher to the Lions forward line posed an extra headache for defenders, seemingly allowing Cameron to move up the ground and show off his impressive pace.

Round 7 saw the return of the Charlie Cameron that fans have come to love though, slotting 4 goals in the Lions 49-point win against Port Adelaide.

It seemed to be the spark that the 27-year-old needed, going on to kick 3-goals a whopping seven times and an additional bag of 5 and 6-goals through the rest of the season.

Charlie was a standout through the Lions finals series, being rewarded with ‘Best Finals Player’.

A silver lining in an otherwise tough night, Cameron kicked 5-goals in his sides losing Qualifying Final to Melbourne and kicked a further 3 in their heartbreaking one-point loss to the Western Bulldogs the following week.

Standout Performance: Cameron Gets Six

In a career-best game, Charlie Cameron put on a clinic at the Gabba in Round 22.

The Collingwood defence were left scrambling as the speedy forward zipped away to kick six straight goals, collecting 12 disposals in the process.

He was also busy in the air, clunking 6 marks as he led the Lions to a thumping 85-point win in front of a packed Gabba crowd.

His impressive performance against Melbourne in the Qualifying Final was another highlight, as to was his 5-goal, 17 disposal game in the west against Fremantle in Round 21.

Season Averages

Disposals – 10.9

Kicks – 8.3 (Above-Average)

Marks – 4 (Above-Average)

Tackles – 2.2

Goals – 2.3 (Elite)

Charlie Inspires a New Generation

Article-Size-Template.png

The importance of life after football isn’t lost on Brisbane Lions star Charlie Cameron.

Growing up on Mornington Island and leaving for Brisbane to pursue further education, the 27-year-old was drafted to the Adelaide Crows in 2014.

Learning his craft from future hall of famer, Eddie Betts, Cameron quickly became a crowd favourite with his electrifying pace and innate goal sense.

And while his wish to return home to Queensland was granted in 2018, the emerging challenge of COVID-19 has hampered his ability to return home.

Spending Tuesday in Mount Isa visiting local schools and the vaccination centre, the goal-kicking superstar was welcomed back with open arms.

In a humbling experience for Cameron, he said it could be easy to get stuck in a rut as an Indigenous kid in a remote community.

"I left Mornington Island as a teenager to pursue schooling at Marist College Ashgrove in Brisbane before I travelled to Western Australia to work in mining, and it was there that I got into AFL," he said.

"I was 18 when I started so I was a late bloomer.

"It's been a tough road but I'm thankful for the upbringing I had and the lessons it's taught me.

"If I could tell these kids one thing it would be to make the most of the opportunities that come your way, take a chance because you never know where it could lead you."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cameron Looking to Add Another String to His Bow in 2022

Charlie.jpg

CHARLIE Cameron says you can expect a slightly different version of him in 2022.

Brisbane's dynamic small forward, who is one of the game's great entertainers, says he'll be looking to roam further afield this season.

There was evidence in both pre-season matches, with a particularly expansive showing against the Western Bulldogs in the AAMI Community Series.

In that six-point win, Cameron kicked two goals from 20 disposals and also had seven score involvements as he often proved a perfect link between the midfield and forward line.

Speaking ahead of Saturday night's season-opener against Port Adelaide at the Gabba, Cameron said he would be more difficult to defend this year.

"I've changed my mindset," he said.

"Over the last two games I've tried to get up the ground, use my leg speed and try to beat my opponents back.

"If I get a good defender, get them up (the ground), and then make the most of my opportunities deep when I get them."

Cameron was a Therabody AFL All-Australian in 2019 and made the squad of 40 last year before being edged out of the final 22 by Sydney's Tom Papley.

He said he was ready for anything Port threw his way.

"It'll depend on the match-up. I'm expecting (Ryan) Burton this weekend but a couple of times I've had (Tom) Jonas," he said.

"Whoever I get I'll try and make the most of my opportunities."

Cameron also confirmed captain Dayne Zorko would play after overcoming a small procedure on his Achilles.

Lions lose another key forward in big win over Eagles

Dead-eye Charlie
Charlie Cameron is having a wonderful season and continued an incredible stretch in front of goal since his horror 2.6 kicking display against North Melbourne in round three. The jet-heeled small forward made the slippery ball seem dry, so clean was he in the air or on the ground. But it was his dead-eye goalkicking that set him apart from anyone else on the field. Cameron kicked 4.1, all beautifully struck set shots. Before his narrow final quarter behind, Cameron had kicked 14 goals without a miss in his past five matches.

Connection Key for Charlie & Dead-Eye Lions

Charlie-Presser-Article.png

Brisbane sharpshooter Charlie Cameron says there's no great secret to why the Lions are suddenly the most accurate team at goal in the AFL.

Brisbane kicked 16.6 in its win over Adelaide on Saturday night, continuing a dead-eye season in front of goal.

Cameron has been one of the primary reasons for the Lions' accuracy, kicking 4.1 against the Crows – his only miss coming from a set shot that thumped into the woodwork – to take his tally in 2022 to 23.10.

"I think we've been able to get it inside 30 (metres), which gives us a better chance to kick goals," Cameron said on Monday.

"Our connection with our midfielders and defenders has been building and building each game."

Goalkicking hasn't always been a strength of Brisbane in the Chris Fagan era.

In 2020, when they reached the preliminary final, the Lions were ranked 17th for accuracy with a strike-rate of just 41.9 per cent.

Last season that improved dramatically to a neat 50 per cent to be ranked fourth, while this year has seen that number again skyrocket to 58.7 per cent.

The next best team through nine rounds is Richmond (52.8 per cent).

Cameron has been one of the catalysts, kicking 18.2 over the past six rounds.

"The North Melbourne game (round three) I kicked 2.6 and was disappointed in my goalkicking," he said.

"I've just tried to focus on my mindset, my goalkicking. Not too much has changed, I'm just trying to kick it through the big sticks."

Other straight-shooting Lions have included Zac Bailey (21.6), Joe Daniher (19.8), Lincoln McCarthy (11.5) and Dan McStay (10.4).

Cameron said the constantly-evolving forward line was functioning well, and praised Eric Hipwood following his successful return from a knee injury against the Crows.

Hipwood was directly responsible for three of Cameron's goals, with two tap-ons and one precision pass with his non-preferred right foot."I'll shout him a few coffees this week," Cameron said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back