Chelsea's slide

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't spend too much time thinking about it. I look back fondly on a player or manager based on what they did, and how they acted not how long they were at the club for whether they qualify to be considered a club legend or not.

I'm not suggesting they have to be in charge for 10 years to be a legend, you just asked what do you do when the legend retires. And I said you reflect fondly on the significant figure of the club who has now left. It was a pretty straight forward answer.

CWhGoOhVAAEpVnP.jpg
Could also have done that with us tbf. We've been through far too many.

I'm not suggesting they have to be in charge for 10 years to be a legend, you just asked what do you do when the legend retires. And I said you reflect fondly on the significant figure of the club who has now left. It was a pretty straight forward answer.

OK.

Terry loves Mourinho and is by all accounts devastated by the decision to sack him. Fabregas has also been very public in his support for Jose. I'd be looking at Costa, Hazard, Oscar or Matic if looking to point fingers at potential 'moles' in the squad - especially Costa. Or any number of the youth/role players he's frozen out over the past year, for that matter.

John Terry has been captain of the club since 2004 through numerous player mutinies (perhaps that's too harsh a word), and whether he played an active role in undermining these managers or not, he has to be held partially accountable in my opinion. The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

If he can't influence the players to continue doing their job to a high standard despite any personal issues they may have with the manager, then there isn't much point to him being captain.

John Terry has been captain of the club since 2004 through numerous player mutinies (perhaps that's too harsh a word), and whether he played an active role in undermining these managers or not, he has to be held partially accountable in my opinion. The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

If he can't influence the players to continue doing their job to a high standard despite any personal issues they may have with the manager, then there isn't much point to him being captain.

Yep. The buck stops with Terry in terms of the playing group and once again they get there way.

Yep. The buck stops with Terry in terms of the playing group and once again they get there way.

Probably a good thing he's done at the end of the season then. Not sure he'll end up in MLS / Chinese League either, they don't generally sign defenders as marquee players. Suspect JT will retire at the end of this season unless he joins a lower end EPL team or championship team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't believe we're now writing managers off after 3-5 years.

I personally hope Ranieri lives for another 100 years! :D

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Would've thought each manager would be assessed on a case by case basis. Some may go stale, others may re-invent themselves and continue to be successful. Makes absolutely no sense to have an arbitrary 'use by date' where you replace the manager after x years no matter what, and I would be amazed if any club was actually foolish enough to commit to such a policy.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Would've thought each manager would be assessed on a case by case basis. Some may go stale, others may re-invent themselves and continue to be successful. Makes absolutely no sense to have an arbitrary 'use by date' where you replace the manager after x years no matter what, and I would be amazed if any club was actually foolish enough to commit to such a policy.
Agreed. It depends on the playing squad, the staff etc etc. So many things to come under consideration.

A captain speaks for his players that why he is captain, not so that he can control any issues players have with the manager, albeit within reason of course. Sure if its one player who has a problem he can resolve that quietly but when its multiple players then generally that speaks volume (especially did in this instance) and you can be almost certain that the manager is at fault.

In any case I'm not sure why we're doubting Terry ability to lead as although I can't stand the campaigner, he is most certainly a terrific captain who especially leads on the field and is huge reason for Chelsea success. Off the field he is a bit of campaigner i.e. Bridge but had he been Arsenals captain in the fabregas years then we most certainly wouldn't have collapsed like we did each season.

Agreed. It depends on the playing squad, the staff etc etc. So many things to come under consideration.

Exactly. Baffling if it was truly the case at Man City, and even more surprising if any fans actually liked it as a policy.

A captain speaks for his players that why he is captain, not so that he can control any issues players have with the manager, albeit within reason of course. Sure if its one player who has a problem he can resolve that quietly but when its multiple players then generally that speaks volume (especially did in this instance) and you can be almost certain that the manager is at fault.

In any case I'm not sure why we're doubting Terry ability to lead as although I can't stand the campaigner, he is most certainly a terrific captain who especially leads on the field and is huge reason for Chelsea success. Off the field he is a bit of campaigner i.e. Bridge but had he been Arsenals captain in the fabregas years then we most certainly wouldn't have collapsed like we did each season.
Terry does a lot more good off the pitch than bad.

Unless you're Wayne Bridge...
Yeah what a shame his teammate slept with his ex-girlfriend :rolleyes:

Terry does a ton of stuff for fans. If you send him a shirt, he'll sign it and send it back. He gives stuff away constantly, he personally rang a fan who had issues with the way Chelsea fans at the Bridge were being treated by the club.

Terry does a ton of stuff for fans. If you send him a shirt, he'll sign it and send it back. He gives stuff away constantly, he personally rang a fan who had issues with the way Chelsea fans at the Bridge were being treated by the club.
It is a shame and a s**t thing to do.

Good for him with all the other things though, it's good to hear he connects with the fans.

It is a shame and a s**t thing to do.

Good for him with all the other things though, it's good to hear he connects with the fans.
Never understood it - she was an ex-girlfriend, not a current one.

Blown up out of all proportion that one was. But JT is still a campaigner

Didn't realise Wayne Bridge's ex GF was a Chelsea fan.

Was a bit more than that wasnt it? iirc Terry cheated on his own wife, had a prolonged affair with Bridge's ex, got her pregnant then paid for her to get an abortion. Not something that a good bloke does.

Was a bit more than that wasnt it? iirc Terry cheated on his own wife, had a prolonged affair with Bridge's ex, got her pregnant then paid for her to get an abortion. Not something that a good bloke does.
The real outrage over it is that he slept with his mate's girlfriend, which isn't true.
Agree that the rest of it is really s**t and pretty unforgiveable but to fans he's fantastic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back