Chinese Democracy

Remove this Banner Ad

one of the best albums of all time!!
I wouldnt imagine the old school 'bogan' gunners fans are going to like it... but you have to think of it as a completely different band and type of rock.

I agree axl shouldnt use the name 'Guns n Roses' but oh well.

Most of the demos are better than the finished tracks.

Bullshit!!! The tracks have improved vastly over the demos. I have actually enjoyed listening to the songs grow over the years.

The album is brilliant and sooooo much better than anything that Velvet Revolver have ever done.

not sure if this has been mentioned, but it's now in stores at sanity and JB (saw it at both stores today), may be on shelves in other stores too

I've only heard title track, but if it's any indication of the rest of the album, I've heard enough. Boring.

Only payed it through once since buying it today, and i havent heard a note of it in any format before today.

First impression is a good one, but not 14 years in the making type of good, but that was never going to happen.

Remarkably, there were still a couple of tunes that struck me first up as filler, which is ridiculous when you consider the effort thats gone into churning this out. Some very good moments too though...

Will give it a few more spins before saying any more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bullshit!!! The tracks have improved vastly over the demos. I have actually enjoyed listening to the songs grow over the years.

The album is brilliant and sooooo much better than anything that Velvet Revolver have ever done.

Played it in the car while travelling for the last 3 days. first listen, wasn't overly impressed, 2nd day i thought i'd give it another go and absolutely loved it.
have all the old gunners albums from late 80's early 90's and this is a different sound. axl's voice is still as good as ever, there is 1 or 2 ordinary tracks but on the whole the album is great. if it hadn't taken 13 years this album would be talked up a lot more, were people expecting another use your illusion?

The over-hype/delay of this album has forced me from once really looking forward to it to not even giving a crap when it comes out.

I was a fan back in the day...but on listening (a few times)...a line or two from Pretty Tied Up came to mind...

ONCE THERE WAS THIS ROCK N' ROLL BAND
ROLLIN' ON THE STREETS
TIME WENT BY AND IT BECAME A JOKE
WE JUST NEEDED MORE AND MORE FULFILLING...
UH-HUH
TIME WENT BY AND IT ALL WENT UP IN SMOKE

They are finished.:thumbsdown:

It's got its good and bad moments, much like the Use Your Illusions do.

High points are Better, IRS, There Was A Time, Riad N The Bedouins and the absolute highlight for me is the 2nd last track, This I Love.

You can't listen to it expecting to hear Appetite for Destruction (which is my favourite album of all time, not just GnR), but for what it is, I reckon it's a pretty good album.

A friend who is new to rock music heard it and said "You know what I'd like to hear, that guy singing with Velvet Revolver, that'd be awesome".

I laughed.

High points are Better, IRS, There Was A Time, Riad N The Bedouins and the absolute highlight for me is the 2nd last track, This I Love.

You can't listen to it expecting to hear Appetite for Destruction (which is my favourite album of all time, not just GnR), but for what it is, I reckon it's a pretty good album.

A friend who is new to rock music heard it and said "You know what I'd like to hear, that guy singing with Velvet Revolver, that'd be awesome".

I laughed.

thats gold...... yeah that the main reason l never really got into Velvet Revolver l didn't like that weed of a singer (scotty)

Haha, not a bad track but it sounds like the lost outtake to The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

i listened to most of it at work today and i don't think its that great.

i like the music side of it a bit. but i think his voice is pretty bad on the album, seems like hes just trying way to hard.

i think most people will be let down, simply because axl waited way to long to bring this out.
its also said that this will be the first of a trilogy of albums, hope the next 2 are better.

but each to their own

Had a few spins now and i do hope he has the rumored trilogy of albums in the can ready to go, because if this was all he's got to show for the wait, then he's a dill.

I dont hate this album. In fact there are some really cool moments. "Better" is an absolute killer tune, i really like what he was on about with "If the World" and "Sorry" has gotten better with each listen.

And musically I didnt really find myself missing Slash, Duff, Izzy etc. Most of the playing on this album is excellent, particularly the guitar solos, and theres at least a part of each tune that has something worth listening to. But thats the thing, the album really does feel like a bunch of parts thrown together and its like Axel has tried to fit everything that used to make the Gunners great (certainly in his head anyway) into each tune.

And thats where you miss Slash, Izzy and co. Writing wise, there is some unfocused waffle and the whole reason they all systematically left him (his autocracy) is exactly why he needs them - to trim the fat.

As a whole the album makes no sense, which really make me hope he's got 2 more ready to piece it all together.

But remarkably, and it feels ridiculous even writing this all things considered, there are moments on this album (lyrics in particular and the odd vocal part here and there) which feel like they/he just didnt spend enough time on!! Parts go no where (IRS is rubbish), and other parts just sound like he chose the wrong edit to paste in, and some parts feel like they're never going to end and are just poorly arranged.

Production wise its a monstor. The vocal mix is just insane. So many layers and its almost impossible to tell whether his voice has held up well or not courtesy of the amount of treatment his vocals have gotten. But regardless, that voice does make it a struggle to get through the whole thing in one hit.

Cant help but feel a bit let down, but then again my expectations werent massive in the first place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back