Christian Porter

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is a question we can discuss now.

Can you envisage a report of such consequence to the general public, that the public interest consideration should outway concerns over defamation of individuals?

And if the ABC wrote such an article, then was sued for millions, would this be the right thing do you think?

One of the favoured methods of suppressing reporting of governments in despotic minded countries is defamation law.

So, a minister might be embezzling billions, and if this is reported, it's the reporter in prison. It's the reporter lambasted for breaking the law.

Because it's the embezzlers of billions, and alleged master of the universe rapists that get to write the defamation laws.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app
I have heard (and I stand to be corrected) that Australia doesn’t have a public interest defence for defamation for the media.

Its a defamation action (available courtesy of the ABC).
Courtesy of Christian porter. He chose to take action against abc. That is his choice alone. Now if abc found guilty THEN it is appropriate to say that the action is due to the ABC.

Courtesy of Christian porter. He chose to take action against abc. That is his choice alone. Now if abc found guilty THEN it is appropriate to say that the action is due to the ABC.
I did not say 'the action is due to the ABC', though I understand how you might read that into 'courtesy of the ABC'. I was referring to the media campaign led by the ABC to find him guilty, effectively requiring him to prove himself innocent.
The ABC now finds ' the boot on the other foot' & appears to have acknowledged they can not prove him guilty ( the truth defence).

That does not mean the ABC are guilty of defamation, its what the action is about.

But that’s not my point Chief. I’m happy with how much the ABC gets in fact I’d be happy for it to get a bit more. My concern is that the ABC makes bad judgement about how to capitalise on the fact it doesn’t the commercial pressures and risk that other media entities do. I think that ABC uses its commercial risk free statement to produce controversial content that other outlets don’t make because they would otherwise face commercial repercussions such as sponsors dropping out.

I would much rather they focus their commercial risk free status by developing Australian drama, giving coverage to less popular sports and restoring local content to regional news bureaus.

in short I think ABC picks too many fights that require it to spend too much on legal advice and representation at the expense of more worthwhile causes.

Regards

S. Pete
If the ABC did not undertake such investigative journalism where do you really think we would be in 2021?
Seriously, the ABC is the only unbiased, uncompromised, uneditorialised and uncorrupted media outlet in this country.

I sometime wonder what country some posters on BF think they live in?

If the ABC did not undertake such investigative journalism where do you really think we would be in 2021?
Seriously, the ABC is the only unbiased, uncompromised, uneditorialised and uncorrupted media outlet in this country.

I sometime wonder what country some posters on BF think they live in?

A country where only right wingers are allowed to make accusations.

Hang on what?

Right wingers, AKA glass-jawed snowflakes, don't like other glass-jawed snowflakes (AKA right wingers) being accused of doing dodgy stuff.
The only people who are allowed to make baseless accusations is glass-jawed snowflakes (AKA right wingers).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A country where only right wingers are allowed to make accusations.
[/QUOTE)

Poor state of affairs IF truth is not behind accusations/allegations .... wanting something to be true does not make it true, & its gutless to be unwilling to stand up & be counted.
Exactly this issue is being played out today over Porters lead counsel, Ms Chrysanthou SC, & the relevance of the adjudication being clearer.

Nah, me n Snake Baker are smack bang in the middle of all the chaos. We don't buy into the whole left v right thing.

No different to a bunch of Christians arguing over churches, whilst the real world deals with real issues
&
makes progress due to absence of the chatterers on the left & right wings engaged in mindless virtue signalling.

No different to a bunch of Christians arguing over churches, whilst the real world deals with real issues
&
makes progress due to absence of the chatterers on the left & right wings engaged in mindless virtue signalling.

Have you noticed how it's only the Murdoch cronies that run with this virtue signalling narrative?

Have you noticed how it's only the Murdoch cronies that run with this virtue signalling narrative?

The lynch mob ?
Have a look at why Bornstein withdrew his candidacy.

Any suggestion its absent from either side of politics beggars belief, BUT sadly its there.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back