Current Claremont Murders Discussion & Edwards trial updates pt2

How would you find Bradley Robert Edwards?

• Not guilty on all

• Guilty on all

• Ciara Glennon - Guilty

• Ciara Glennon & Jane Rimmer - Guilty

• I need more information!

• This is sooo sub-judice, I'm dobbing you in shellyg

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The court then heard Mr Bagdonavicius handed over a billy bucket containing Ciara Glennon's head hair mass to Detective Senior Sergeant Joseph Marrapodi with the Macro Taskforce on November 17, 1997.

This hair mass is AJM 54, which the prosecution says contained 41 critical fibres matching the uniforms worn by Telstra technicians in the mid-1990s as well as seats matching a Holden VS Commodore - the same make and model assigned to Mr Edwards by Telstra in the mid 1990s.

The billy bucket is said to contain five grey polyester fibres that match fibres found in a Holden VS Commodore.

"The court then heard in 2001 Ciara's head hair (billy bucket) was stored at PathWest in box 39.
Mr Bagdonavicius told the court on August 27, 2001 he prepared Ciara's head hair exhibit to be sent to the coroner on August 31.
When asked what else was stored in storage box 39, he said only items relating to Ciara Glennon.
The court then heard the billy bucket was returned to the coroner that day"

"The court heard that when Mr Bagdonavicius examined AJM 40 - Ciara's left thumbnail that is alleged to contain trace DNA belonging to Mr Edwards - he had written that it was "debris, not suitable for analysis".
When asked why he wrote that, he said: "The item was described as left thumbnail and on previous viewing there was no actual nail in the container." When asked how he made that assessment, he said it was made from a visual inspection.
Mr Bagdonavicius then told the court he requested that AJM 42 - the left middle fingernail – undergo further Qiagen and Low Copy Number testing.
When asked why, he said the last time it was tested on October 25, 2001 at PathWest there was an "indication of something" but it wasn't strong. He said the amelogenin result says there was a possible trace of a male but that he ultimately marked no male DNA."

40 not opened, Ever, until 2008 it seems. He is cooked.

Last edited:
"Ms Barbagallo has pointed out Mr Bagdonavicius that the paperwork he completed in relation to the transfer of the hair mass in and out of the mortuary was wrong, and that he was using the wrong batch number reference for the item. "

Oh my God! More errors

"Ms Barbagallo has pointed out Mr Bagdonavicius that the paperwork he completed in relation to the transfer of the hair mass in and out of the mortuary was wrong, and that he was using the wrong batch number reference for the item. "

Oh my God! More errors
And thats why they started using barcodes :)

AJM42. Initial testing in 1997 "The gel evaluation of AJM42 revealed there was not a "strong product" detected on the sample, but that there may have been something there."
2001 testing "October 25, 2001 at PathWest there was an "indication of something", but it wasn't strong. He said the amelogenin result says there was a possible trace of a male"
This does make me think that may be 42 and 40 both had picograms of DNA and when combined they went over the threshold to test.

On September 8, 2003, AJM 41 to AJM 47 underwent further testing at PathWest, the court heard.

Mr Bagdonavicius said while PathWest was not accredited to carry out Low Copy Number testing he said staff were familiar with it because the test involved carrying out more amplification cycles than the normal procedure.

He said as a result AJM 41 produced no male DNA present. AJM 42-45 remained the same as the last test while they found a partial trace of male DNA on AJM 46.

When asked if further work was carried out by PathWest on AJM 46, he said no. AJM 47 remained the same, he said.

The court then heard AJM 48 - which had also been described as debris and not suitable for testing - was incorrectly marked on the document as having been tested on August 22, 2003.

Mr Bagdonavicius told the court on the document it says AJM 48 was meant to be Qiagen tested in November 2003, but when asked if it actually was tested he said no.

When asked if by November 2003 AJM 40 and AJM 48 had been sampled or had work done, he said he believe it hadn't.

"AJM41 - parital profile for Ciara detected, no male DNA present

AJM46 - partial profile for Ciara detected, trace of male DNA detected on low copy number testing.

AJM49 - partial profile for Ciara detected, male DNA detected on low copy number testing." (WAToday)

This essentially means that amelogenin must have shown both X+Y peaks or else they couldnt know..

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Justice Hall has asked Ms Barbagallo to give an outline of how the prosecution's case was progressing.
She told the court after Mr Bagdonavicius, she plans on calling forensic scientist Denise Galvin, then Senior Sergeant George Patton who packaged up the critical exhibits including the fingernails with former head of PathWest Laurie Webb before they were sent to the UK for testing in 2008.
Then she said she would call the former head of Macro, Detective Jim Stanbury, who took the samples with Mr Webb to the UK.
Ms Barbagallo then said she hoped to call witnesses from the two UK labs that tested the samples, Cellmark and FSS, forensic scientist Scott Egan and then the State's DNA expert, Dr Jonathan Whittaker.
When asked how long she expected to remain on DNA, Ms Barbagallo told Justice Hall she believed until the end of this month before moving on to the fibres.
The court also heard the prosecution's last witness will be Detective Senior Sergeant Joseph Marrapodi, who interviewed Mr Edwards after he was arrested."

Don't know about anyone else. There's 2 witnesses for me that I can't wait to see what evolves from their testimony. Dr Whittaker and Jim Stanbury. Both critical IMO.
Scott Egan, Dr. Whitaker, Andrea Lea, Peter Collins and Paul Rankin. Thats my top 5 :)
Edit: And the video tape of the BRE interview :)

There is going to be ms Galvin who prepped all the stuff for nz
DNA is like, soooo yesterday. Fibres are where its at now...Its what all the groovy hip people are doing :)
The more I have read on fibre analysis, the more keen i am to hear this evidence. If its a strong as I suspect it may be, then it will be the extra nail.

Need the media to start an application to allow the interview to be live streamed!!
get onto it packer 7 west media or whatever you call yourselves these days :)

New Zealand lives streams important court cases. The Bain family murder trial was very notable - the bastard eventually got off even though a legal review found he did it on the balance of probability. They are at this moment giving him back the murder weapon as he is the sole surving heir of his victims :mad:

Last edited:
WA Today Blog -
"Senior Sergeant Marrapodi will be the last witness called for the state - as he will talk the court through the six hour police interview with Mr Edwards after his 2016 arrest, in which the state says Mr Edwards lied repeatedly and "feigned disbelief" at his DNA being found at the 1988 Huntingdale sex attack and 1995 Karrakatta cemetery rape crime scenes.

He confessed to the crimes three years later."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back