Current Claremont Murders Discussion & Edwards trial updates pt3 - The Verdict

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

In saying that, I have wondered whether Yovich's apparent lack of any real substance in regard to his defence was always geared towards potentially getting another bite via appeal.
Good point, will be interesting to see how this theory pans out. But would that not be detrimental to Yoviches reputation? Would he knowingly risk that? Has this type of legal maneuver been used before? If so what would be the odds it would work? Would certainly answer Yovich's lackluster defense!

Justice Hall's CSK trial 619 page verdict document WASC399 (p590-600) on the BRE Police interview on his day of arrest makes for interesting reading.

Particularly the section on Telstra clients he claims he worked for, which includes the 'police'.

'2289 The accused worked for Telstra from 1988 until his arrest. He said his role remained largely the same throughout his employment, namely
the installation of telephone systems. This was only for corporate and government clients. This included the Health Department and police, but he was more involved with banks and, later, technology based groups. He said that there could be overtime because some clients wanted the work done after hours.'

And this bit when being questioned about the semen DNA match of his to KJG (Karrakatta) and in denial mode
'2300 ... Brad, your daughter said that your most prized virtue is your honesty. This is your chance to show that she's right'

On the parts of the interview that were edited out Justice Hall wrote.

'2032 ... The interview was edited to remove parts that were of no relevance (either as a result of agreement between the parties or rulings by me). I have not taken any of the edited parts into account or been influenced by the fact that the interview has been edited.'

Particularly the section on Telstra clients he claims he worked for, which includes the 'police'.

'2289 The accused worked for Telstra from 1988 until his arrest. He said his role remained largely the same throughout his employment, namely
the installation of telephone systems. This was only for corporate and government clients. This included the Health Department and police, but he was more involved with banks and, later, technology based groups. He said that there could be overtime because some clients wanted the work done after hours.'

Interestingly, there is some more information on where BRE claimed to have worked, from the West's Live Blog on the day the edited Police BRE interview was played in Court at the CSK trial on 5 May 2020. With the West's info including the Education Department and BHP, but omitting the Police Department, which the WAtoday live blog mentions that day.

'Questions in this section of video now being played to the court surround Mr Edwards employment with Telstra.
Mr Edwards told the detectives that he was based at the Leederville depot before moving to Colin Street, West Perth then to Osborne Park depot adding that his main role was to fix phones in the metropolitan area.
He said some of his clients included government and corporate clients such as the Health Department, Education Department and BHP'

'Detective Marrapodi is asking Mr Edwards about where he used to be based at various stages during his employment at Telstra. He said he worked from offices in Leederville, West Perth and Osborne Park.
He said from 2009 he worked for Telstra's business service looking after corporate clients which included police.'

Have we all seen this, BRE's family have already begun appeal preparations?

"The family of convicted Claremont killer Bradley Robert Edwards have already begun preparing to help him appeal his convictions after he was found guilty of murdering two women in the late 1990s. "

"It has now been revealed relatives of the killer have contacted prominent barristers in Perth seeking legal advice, Nine News and WAToday reported. "

Have we all seen this, BRE's family have already begun appeal preparations?

"The family of convicted Claremont killer Bradley Robert Edwards have already begun preparing to help him appeal his convictions after he was found guilty of murdering two women in the late 1990s. "

"It has now been revealed relatives of the killer have contacted prominent barristers in Perth seeking legal advice, Nine News and WAToday reported. "

Good old Daily Mail with old news , this was reported the day after the verdict.

"Amanda Barnard told the court on Monday she had examined thousands of women working as an on-call doctor for the Sexual Assaults Resource Centre, but the case was memorable because it was a violent assault by a stranger, the victim was hooded and restrained, and she had been a virgin.
Dr Barnard said the extent and pain of the teenager's injuries was also notable. The court heard she suffered bruises, abrasions, cuts, swelling and tenderness, including around her wrists and ankles, where red marks from being bound remained visible hours later.
It also caused nerve damage, with the victim reporting persistent numbness in her left thumb."

She was left bleeding, dirt-stained and had leaf matter "deeply entangled" in her hair, Dr Barnard testified.

Former detective Teresa Kurtis described the "very slight" girl as being physically shaken and distressed after her ordeal."

Unbelievable the level of violence and pain this brave woman endured, and what horrors SS, JR and CG might have suffered prior to their deaths.😪

Interestingly, there is some more information on where BRE claimed to have worked, from the West's Live Blog on the day the edited Police BRE interview was played in Court at the CSK trial on 5 May 2020. With the West's info including the Education Department and BHP, but omitting the Police Department, which the WAtoday live blog mentions that day.

'Questions in this section of video now being played to the court surround Mr Edwards employment with Telstra.
Mr Edwards told the detectives that he was based at the Leederville depot before moving to Colin Street, West Perth then to Osborne Park depot adding that his main role was to fix phones in the metropolitan area.
He said some of his clients included government and corporate clients such as the Health Department, Education Department and BHP'

'Detective Marrapodi is asking Mr Edwards about where he used to be based at various stages during his employment at Telstra. He said he worked from offices in Leederville, West Perth and Osborne Park.
He said from 2009 he worked for Telstra's business service looking after corporate clients which included police.'
As he'd worked on the police phones, it seems the Cold Case Squad (CCS) have purposely kept a low key about BRE having worked on some of the police phone systems. I don't suppose they'd followed up on that lead and interviewed any of those police officers. Might keeping that low-key, be because the CCS want to ensure, the public are kept in the dark. The less the public know the better, make sure any hints of police corruption are kept as quiet as possible because they don't want any formal corruption inquiries to arise. Oh, no, not more work us!

When I spoke to the CCS about my little incident, I got the impression they weren't particularly interested because it would only prove that WAPOL were definately looking for BRE prior to 1988 - keep that can-of-worms nicely closed.

My word, the CCS have done all their best to ensure any fellow police officers haven't been involved. Well done to CCS. 👏 :clapping: 👏

As he'd worked on the police phones, it seems the Cold Case Squad (CCS) have purposely kept a low key about BRE having worked on some of the police phone systems. I don't suppose they'd followed up on that lead and interviewed any of those police officers. Might keeping that low-key, be because the CCS want to ensure, the public are kept in the dark. The less the public know the better, make sure any hints of police corruption are kept as quiet as possible because they don't want any formal corruption inquiries to arise. Oh, no, not more work us!

When I spoke to the CCS about my little incident, I got the impression they weren't particularly interested because it would only prove that WAPOL were definately looking for BRE prior to 1988 - keep that can-of-worms nicely closed.

My word, the CCS have done all their best to ensure any fellow police officers haven't been involved. Well done to CCS. 👏 :clapping: 👏
Yes, as time goes on, it seems like WAPOL are trying to keep quite a few things low key! and I bet they're praying there wont be a coronal inquiry into SS's murder, where it may all come out.

Good point, will be interesting to see how this theory pans out. But would that not be detrimental to Yoviches reputation? Would he knowingly risk that? Has this type of legal maneuver been used before? If so what would be the odds it would work? Would certainly answer Yovich's lackluster defense!
The obvious answer is that Yovich "should" have been provided with "all" the relevant evidence by the prosecution, favourable to either side or not, therefore he could have and should have been able to identify & introduce anything he wanted to himself in defence, but he didn't so its a mute point.

However, if you take into consideration all the circumstances they faced leading up to the trial from the sheer volume of information the case entails to the continual late disclosure of evidence promting Hall to tell the prosecution they shouldnt still be amassing new evidence & the defence have a right to know what they have and still have enough time to formulate their defence & then having to issue an order stating nothing else can be disclosed without approval. Then Yovich going into trial after claiming they're changing the evidence whilst still awaiting his own expert reports etc....the lost evidence &everything else that was less than ideal, I assume that if theres anyway they can spin it to show that was prejudicial to them at all or they've since learnt something else needs additional context to make sense and they dont have it, Im sure any lawyer knows how to go about doing exactly that. At the end of the day, I wasn't in court everyday to hear everything, you cant rely on the blogs and the reporting to cover all of it or be sure that its accurate, the judgement doesn't contain everything that was presented in court & we don't have access to the transcripts or the case file to be able to say for sure whether they could find a way to force an appeal or not. Nor whether thats a valid consideration or if Yovich is even deserving of calls of a lack of defence.

I just find with the amount that we have heard, their defence being simply that he didnt do it, we dont know anything about it & we wont offer a thing in his defence except a questionable challenge as to whether a particular day was "really hot" or not, is totally bizarre. Not one person to vouch for him and say I dont believe it, no one to speak to his character or tell a story that may indicate even 1 aspect of their claims are inaccurate, just nothing at all? Its bizarre & from where I'm sitting, I dont see that approach boding too well for the reputation either.

If it has been done before & I'm certain it has been plenty of times, it will have been well disguised and no one will ever admit it. Defence lawyers are just as sneaky as prosecutors in that regard. If they can get one over the other side, within the confines of how they're permitted to attempt to do that before the court, they absolutely will. The courts decision as to how to deal with whats presented to them is up to the court. Defence lawyers have to defend guilty parties all the time and their role is to try to get the best possible outcome for their client too. Unless youre pleading guilty, it doesn't come into it. Both sides are morally corrupt in their actions & get paid very well to be that way, its the nature of an unsavoury profession IMO. Provided they don't profess their guilt to the lawyer at any time prior to trial, there's nothing to prohibit throwing everything they can think of at the court to acheive their objective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An extract from Tim's much anticipated book. So heartbreaking reading this Don Spiers quote. 😪

Chapter 5 — Macro

‘I WOULD sit in the lounge chair ... and it would be as if someone put a band around my head above my ears and was just tightening it. There was just immense pressure in a circle around my head. I was actually sitting there pulling my hair out.”

That was how Don Spiers described those dark days in early 1996 after his beloved Sarah went missing."

Enigma of the Dark — The Claremont serial killings book extract: Macro taskforce
Tim Clarke

CG was quite the little detective reading this account? Wonder why she didn't trust him??

Detective Marrapodi asked if he has any other social media accounts under different names.

"Going back, [my second wife] was getting paranoid about me having an affair with someone, I used to have a number of different Facebook accounts because I was playing the games on Facebook and if you've got different people playing you can donate different bits and pieces from the game to other people," he said.

Detectives have asked how many emails he had.

He has given a few different emails saying, "My wife used to get in there and search through my emails".

CG was quite the little detective reading this account? Wonder why she didn't trust him??

Detective Marrapodi asked if he has any other social media accounts under different names.

"Going back, [my second wife] was getting paranoid about me having an affair with someone, I used to have a number of different Facebook accounts because I was playing the games on Facebook and if you've got different people playing you can donate different bits and pieces from the game to other people," he said.

Detectives have asked how many emails he had.

He has given a few different emails saying, "My wife used to get in there and search through my emails".

Internet Addiction has been destroying marriages and relationships ever since the WWW came along...... and it most certainly is not unusual for gamers to have multiple fb accounts for the very reason he said. It is why it is said that facebook lies about the number of users it has, because of fake accounts, duplicated accounts, spamming accounts, bot accounts, gaming accounts etc etc. Of course every account has a unique email address attached to it (to sign in with) and many link to games outside of fb.

Having said that, i would put money on BRE have accounts for nefarious purposes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back