FTA-TV Clarice

Remove this Banner Ad

torq

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not sure it deserves a thread but any Thomas Harris/Silence of the Lambs fans will tune in.

Disappointed in the first episode. Unlike some shows & films that drag, this moved too quickly into a routine police procedural. Some critics say the third episode (yet to be broadcast) is an improvement. Some questionable casting (although Aussie actress Rebecca Breeds as Clarice is arguably the best thing about the show). Overall, however, I just think it's been poorly developed and written. And I really wanted to like this.

I heard Pete Ford discuss this on the radio- says some dude "owns" the right to the character of Hannibal Lecter. So they cannot show him/portray him/mention him in any way shape or form in this series.

Seems kind of ******* stupid if you ask me. Maybe offer him some $$$ so you can?

I do hope it picks up tho for any BFers watching it.

I heard Pete Ford discuss this on the radio- says some dude "owns" the right to the character of Hannibal Lecter. So they cannot show him/portray him/mention him in any way shape or form in this series.

Seems kind of ******* stupid if you ask me. Maybe offer him some $$$ so you can?

I do hope it picks up tho for any BFers watching it.

De Laurentis estate. It goes back to when Dino De Laurentis bought the rights to Red Dragon to make Manhunter. When Silence of the Lambs was made, they had to seek permission to use the character even then. No doubt they tried negotiating but they may insist on a large fee or even a percentage which doesn't make it worthwhile. De Laurentis was a bit of a loony so can imagine whoever owns the purse strings now isn't much better.

Its not a critical element just yet so maybe they'll successfully negotiate something later if the series becomes successful. Similar to Ash vs the Evil Dead where another studio owned Army of Darkness so they had to be careful not to refer to the events of that film. Only in later seasons were they finally allowed to. But then they never did say 'Terminator' in Sarah Connor Chronicles and only skirted the edges with 'terminated' in the final episode.

I hope if they get Hannibal, they also get Will Graham because I had hoped him and Starling team up in the 3rd book but never happened...

It goes back to when Dino De Laurentis bought the rights to Red Dragon to make Manhunter. When Silence of the Lambs was made, they had to seek permission to use the character even then.

Well that explains that. But I would argue that it is a critical element to the authenticity of the character and the fabric of this show.

Despite the fact that Starling is supposed to have been working in the FBI's Behavioral Science Unit for a year since killing Buffalo Bill, there are no scenes filmed at Quantico and Jack Crawford is neither seen nor mentioned in the first episode.

Well that explains that. But I would argue that it is a critical element to the authenticity of the character and the fabric of this show.

Despite the fact that Starling is supposed to have been working in the FBI's Behavioral Science Unit for a year since killing Buffalo Bill, there are no scenes filmed at Quantico and Jack Crawford is neither seen nor mentioned in the first episode.

Jack Crawford is a Red Dragon character as well. I've since discovered the Hannibal TV series team tried to get permission to use Silence of the Lambs characters but they all fell through which isn't a great reciprocal relationship to begin with.

I personally don't see Lecter as critical to Starling's world, at least not yet anyway. They met for a time on a case then he escapes. From what I recall of the Hannibal novel, Starling had been busy with a lot of other bullshit with the FBI in those 7 years to even worry about Lecter.

It has potential but 2 critical issues for me

The 'conflict' set up is going to annoy me to tears

Also I didnt buy how a Special Forces guy could be taken out by a 45kg rookie FBI agent

But I will watch in hope that it improves. It has a Blacklist feel where the main story is only there to move along the season arc

I struggled ( due to tiredness) to finish the episode - watched until Clarice was inside the house and had disclosed personal information and I was out

Havent gone back yet and not sure I feel compelled to do so.

Might wait for ep 3 and do a catch up and decide then

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ep 4 was crap. 35 mins of boring dialog then a couple of mins of action scenes. Add white privilege blah blah and I'm out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back