Teams Cleveland Browns - GPODAWUND [sic]

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi guys, looking fwd to the match up this week, should be a good game. Have always liked the Browns and Baker is good value to watch. It will be interesting watching the 2 QB go at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This could get interesting.

No Hunt. Maybe no Chubb, Odell or Jarvis. Probably no Wills or Conklin. On a short week it'll probably be best to rest Baker. That's basically the offense. And no JOK, who's clearly been our best defensive player along with Garrett.

For me, the biggest problem is still Baker not getting the ball out quick enough. I don't know if he just doesn't see the quick option or isn't confident in hitting the tight windows, but he keeps checking out and inevitably being sacked. I don't think play calling is the problem, it's just a matter of taking what the D gives you. I don't care if the running backs have 20 catches a game, get the ball out. Especially with third string tackles.

ESPN's Dan Graziano reports the Browns could sign Baker Mayfield to a contract worth more than $30 million per year.
"I still think — actually, I know — that the Browns would bring Mayfield back for the right price," Graziano said. "I don’t think they want to pay him at Patrick Mahomes/Josh Allen levels, but they believe they can win with him and would pay him in the mid-to-high $30 millions per year to stick around." It would be a shockingly rich deal for a quarterback who has struggled through much of his first four years in the NFL, and whose 2021 play has been up and down at best. Mayfield hit his stride during the final six games of the 2020 season, throwing 11 touchdowns to one interception with a 65.4 percent completion rate. Making Mayfield one of the four or five highest paid QBs is risky, to put it mildly. But teams don't often let potential franchise signal callers walk in free agency.
http://edge-plus.nbcsportsedge.com/?utm_int=Edge1249
SOURCE: ESPN.com
Oct 26, 2021, 9:59 AM ET

105.7 The Fan's Jason La Canfora reports the Browns are "not willing to waive" Odell Beckham as the team attempts to reach a financial resolution with him.
La Canfora added that Beckham will remain away from the team but on the 53-man roster for now. His release will come eventually but the Browns are likely trying to find a way to lessen the financial burden of that move. Unless Beckham is so desperate to get out of Cleveland that he is willing to give up a portion of his salary, the Browns hold little leverage in the situation. If he is cut under his current contract, he'll be placed on waivers. A team would be on the hook for his contract which includes $8 million this year but nothing in guarantees beyond 2021. Assuming no team is willing to take the hit, Beckham will become a free agent shortly after being waived.
SOURCE: Jason La Canfora on Twitter
Nov 3, 2021, 2:03 PM ET

Michael Silver reports Browns coach Kevin Stefanski told players that Odell Beckham "is essentially not on the team right now."
Silver added that Stefanski informed players the team told Beckham to stay home which explains why he wasn't at practice today. All signs point to the disgruntled receiver being done in Cleveland. Rumors swirled around possible trades for the former star but nothing materialized ahead of Tuesday's deadline. The Saints were reportedly interested in him but didn't want to take on much of his salary. If he is cut by Cleveland, Beckham will land on waivers where teams can claim him and his lofty cap hit this year. If he clears waivers, the Browns will eat the remainder of his dead cap hit and Beckham will become a free agent. Beckham's situation remains in flux but fantasy managers can plan on being without him for Week 9.
SOURCE: Michael Silver on Twitter
Nov 3, 2021, 1:12 PM ET

You may disagree with the method. But it’s hard to disagree with the result.

All signs are pointing to the Browns releasing receiver Odell Beckham Jr. Then, if no one claims the balance of his $14.5 million on waivers (all terminations after the trade deadline require exposure to waivers), Beckham becomes a free agent for the first time in his NFL career.

It gets better for OBJ. Under the CBA, he then gets to collect the balance of his salary as termination pay, to sign with another team, and to double dip, keeping the full amount of the money from both teams

It'd hurt a lot more if Beckham was playing even remotely well.

My preference would of course be to have him out there and to have him more involved. Baker has definitely missed throws to him this year, often by not taking his first read and then getting himself in trouble in the pocket. But on the flip side of that, Beckham has done nothing to earn his QBs trust with so many key drops on third and fourth downs. I suspect there'll be a lot of talk about why we didn't trade him - but ultimately, his trade value would have been like a 6th round pick. Having him on the roster was worth more than that...we just probably didn't expect him to sabotage all that after the deadline.

The money this year won't hurt us, and he wouldn't have been on the team next year. More playing time for Peoples-Jones is only a good thing, and Schwartz can stretch the field better than an ageing Beckham could. Hopefully it doesn't drag on.

Browns informed WR Odell Beckham of his release.
Profootballtalk's Mike Florio initially reported the move, while Yahoo's Charles Robinson has since confirmed it. Since the trade deadline has come and gone, Beckham must first clear waivers even though he is a vested veteran. Florio reports that is where the tricky part comes in, as Beckham has agreed to a "revised contract that reduces the team’s obligation to pay Beckham, if he’s not claimed on waivers and becomes eligible for the balance of his salary termination pay." As Florio points out, the key for Beckham is making sure his salary does not go low enough that he actually gets claimed. Beckham wants to clear waivers and be free to choose his new home. Robinson reports the Browns "failed to receive any trade offers for Beckham," with perhaps only the Saints even considering one. Slowed by injury and intrigue during his star-crossed time in Cleveland, Beckham's initial market could be uncertain, but he will undoubtedly draw interest from a gaggle of competing teams.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com
Nov 5, 2021, 1:59 AM ET

Report: Odell Beckham Jr. asked to be traded multiple times

Posted by Mike Florio on November 5, 2021, 9:15 AM EDT

It’s been a lot longer in the making than it seems.

Browns receiver Odell Beckham Jr. asked to be traded on multiple occasions this year, according to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. He first requested a trade in the offseason, while recovering from a torn ACL suffered against the Bengals last year.

His most recent request came after what will end up being his last game with the team, Sunday’s home loss to the Steelers.
The Browns tried to trade Beckham, but they found no takers. Discussions occurred with the Saints, but the two teams couldn’t agree on compensation for the Browns or the amount of Beckham’s remaining salary that the Browns would pay.

The situation became public on Tuesday morning, with Odell Beckham Sr. posting a video that showed various occasions in his OBJ was open and quarterback Baker Mayfield failed to get Beckham the ball. Then, LeBron James tweeted, “#FreeOBJ.” Per Cabot, the social-media campaign “created a firestorm” for the Browns, and it “left Mayfield beside himself.”

It’s ultimately going to leave Beckham with a new team. As PFT reported last night, and as others have confirmed, the Browns plan to release Beckham today, his 29th birthday.

Myles Garrett on Odell Beckham release: It shouldn’t have gone this far

Posted by Josh Alper on November 5, 2021, 5:33 PM EDT

Wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. is no longer teammates with Browns defensive end Myles Garrett and Garrett said Friday that he didn’t know the full extent of Beckham’s dealings with team executives, but that he doesn’t think things needed to escalate to the point where Beckham was dropped from the roster.

Garrett said that things moved “quicker than anyone expected” and that he would have liked to have known more about what was happening “because it seemed just like it happened overnight.” It’s clear things were brewing longer than that, but Garrett still feels like there should have been a resolution that didn’t result in a split.

“The man had one touch last week and he was disgruntled,” Garrett said, via Ashley Bastock of Cleveland.com. “I can’t say it was rightfully so, but he’s the No. 1 receiver. I mean, the No. 1 receiver, you have to expect some things are going to come with that. For it to spiral out of control like this, I feel like it shouldn’t have gone this far. But now, I don’t make those decisions. At the end of the day, we’ve got to come together as a team and surround ourselves with the people in this building and move forward. At the end of the day, nobody’s going to stop and wait for us to pick up the pieces.”

General Manager Andrew Berry said on Friday that he didn’t think it was “appropriate to share” full details about the discussions between the team and Beckham about where things were heading, but everyone from the Browns is going to have to turn the page to Sunday’s game against the Bengals now that the matter is done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back