News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

An ex-Sun rookie Andrew McQualter about to be interim senior coach at the Tigers. The AFL world really is all kinds of crazy…
The next coach of the Richmond Football Club

andrew-mcqualter-1f45913f-e109-401a-aad1-495dacb0b51-resize-750.jpeg

Gold Coast Suns - Owning Richmond since 2011

While I’m all aboard Dimma to the Suns, it would be madness for him to quit due to ‘burnout’ just to jump back in the furnace 6 months later at a club where he would be under immediate to perform despite the club having never performed before.

Absolute best case scenario is the end of Dews contract in ‘24.

But part of the burnout has to be the length of time at one club, reaching the mountain top, feeling like you are still close enough the last couple of years, then falling flat.
And you don't want to stay too long and have it end in tears. See Clarko at the Hawks and Simpson at the Eagles. No good for anyone especailly when they are the coach who won a flag or two for you. Hinkley has bounced back a couple of times, but they are still chasing a flag.

No one would be surprised if he disappeared for 3 months, then bobbed up again at the end of August as teams start looking for a new coach. If we don't start winning more games against the middle ranked teams this year, Dew will certainly be gone and we will be looking.

Big 4 weeks ahead. Dogs look top 6, but Crows and Blues look like middle ranked teams. Throw in a bye, and if we go 0-3 or 1-2 and get flogged by the Crows or Blues, that might be it. This was the year where win/loss counted the most, so got to get some actual wins.

1684801826780.png
Calm the farm everyone… his burnt out. Unlike Sack Dew I say back Dew. He has turned the ship. Before the afl assistance package we had a handful of afl quality players
Intrigued how you can explain how he has turned the ship. No other coach in the history of AFL has survived with such a dismal record. His record compounded by the number of high draft picks obtained during his time.
There needs to be a complete overhaul of the whole structure of the club.
Maybe this is happening as this week they have someone on the Board of Directors who knows something about footy with more changes muted.

Maybe this is happening as this week they have someone on the Board of Directors who knows something about footy with more changes muted.
Presumably you mean mooted rather than silenced?
Interesting I've harped on about this since our inception
Our Board has been a Community representation project with a dash of affirmative action
We need footballers and people who die a little inside every time we lose
Not people happy for a seat at the President's table at home games wearing a beanie and a scarf who wouldn't know a sherry from a sherrin
Yes yes-I know a sherry IS a Bordeaux

:):):)Presumably you mean mooted rather than silenced?
Interesting I've harped on about this since our inception
Our Board has been a Community representation project with a dash of affirmative action
We need footballers and people who die a little inside every time we lose
Not people happy for a seat at the President's table at home games wearing a beanie and a scarf who wouldn't know a sherry from a sherrin
Yes yes-I know a sherry IS a Bordeaux
Yes meant mooted. My bad. :) Freudian slip.

Last edited:
View attachment 1694610

Intrigued how you can explain how he has turned the ship. No other coach in the history of AFL has survived with such a dismal record. His record compounded by the number of high draft picks obtained during his time.
There needs to be a complete overhaul of the whole structure of the club.
No other club has been in the position we where.

Bleeding players left right and centre whilst not be able to attract or retain players through the draft whilst also having to completely rebuild through the draft.

You can say that on field we have been awful but off field we are as stable as we've ever been and that's mostly in part to Dew and Mark Evans.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

FWIW I don't think Dew will be our coach next year, performances are below where they should be and if we want to move forward we need someone else at the helm IMO. Though I admit I am very hard on the man so maybe that is my bias speaking.

BUT that is not to underestimate the job he has done righting the club off-field and bringing in a workplace that players want to be apart of, he should be congratulated for that.

I hope he is like the Brendan McCartney at the Dogs before Beveridge got there where he has laid the foundations for the club going forward.

He came into an absolute mess and has got us to being a competitive team on most weeks, from here though I feel we need someone else to take that next step.

FWIW I don't think Dew will be our coach next year, performances are below where they should be and if we want to move forward we need someone else at the helm IMO. Though I admit I am very hard on the man so maybe that is my bias speaking.

BUT that is not to underestimate the job he has done righting the club off-field and bringing in a workplace that players want to be apart of, he should be congratulated for that.

I hope he is like the Brendan McCartney at the Dogs before Beveridge got there where he has laid the foundations for the club going forward.

He came into an absolute mess and has got us to being a competitive team on most weeks, from here though I feel we need someone else to take that next step.
If we don't win 3 of the next 4 games he'll be gone.
It then becomes a matter of who will be the best fit for us and they want to come here.
Any of Clarkson, Hardwick or even Simpson and Hinkley.
All with a proven track record and would be walking into a side about to take off (PLEASE be true 🤞)

Former Gold Coast coach Guy McKenna says Damien Hardwick would be a perfect fit to help the Suns retain their talented list as the premiership coach recharges his batteries before a new coaching adventure.
Hardwick walked away from Punt Road after three premierships as he told chief executive Brendon Gale “the tank is empty” after 13 and a half seasons in charge.

The Tigers coach declined a farewell game or even a lap of honour as he was met with a hail of plaudits for his role changing the face of modern Richmond.

While he was contracted for 2024 he had always told Gale he would know when it was time to walk away regardless of that deal.

Hardwick is certain to consider rival coaching opportunities although those close to him wonder whether he will take a full season out of the game before a new senior coaching opportunity.

But asked about his future plans Hardwick refused to look further than sitting on the couch with his kids watching Richmond this week but clearly will consider future opportunities.

But Gold Coast shapes as a natural fit for Hardwick and partner Alex out of the Melbourne fishbowl, with the AFL potentially able to hand him a hefty ambassadorial bonus.

Alastair Clarkson was aware if he moved to the Suns last year they were the only club of his available options which could have had an AFL-paid figure outside of the football department cap.

Dew is contracted for 2025 but with the Suns an assisted club is understood to have a payout figure in his contract.

Gold Coast chief executive Mark Evans said on Tuesday “Stuey is our coach” as he urged the Suns to concentrate on finishing the season with a finals berth.

But McKenna told the Herald Sun if Dew did move on, Hardwick would be the ideal man to help a club that has lost so many stars with player retention even if he couldn’t guarantee success.

“He comes with credibility. He still needs a good list because look at Clarko this year with North Melbourne. But it certainly has to help. It would help their brand and it would help the off-field stuff, with getting coaches to work up there.

“He is a premiership coach and you are dealing with managers who want to take their players away and it helps if you have a coach who has had some success.

“To have a premiership coach come in and round them off would be attractive but he did say he is burnt out, so who knows how long it would take for him to fill up his tank.

“The biggest factor is keeping players there. If you throw up five things that would help having him there, that is 60 per cent of it.”

Evans declined on Tuesday to guarantee Dew’s tenure through to 2024 but the 4-6 Suns still have their finals destiny in their own hands.

“It’s been a strange time in footy to have the news on Alastair (Clarkson) and for Damien to conclude at Richmond this week,” Evans said.

“What I know is that we were in this same position last year, where the external commentary is that we will need to change a coach.

“What we were terrific at doing last year is focusing really hard on our performance.

“And my advice to every single person connected to the Suns is that it is shoulder to the wheel. Stuey is our coach and we are getting behind that and we are going to get those wins over the next month or two months and set up a really promising finish to the season

Some with short memories.

Current coach of the year is a guy who was in his first year and has continued on this year with his team leading after ten rounds.

Some with short memories.

Current coach of the year is a guy who was in his first year and has continued on this year with his team leading after ten rounds.
He's also from the biggest club in Australia with a wealth of experience in players over 25 and some serious quality players from 19 to 25.
Much easier to be coach of the year with a Big 4 club which also includes endorsement payments to keep quality at a lower price

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not convinced that bringing Hardwick in next year is a great idea. Dude sounds like he needs a good rest over this season and next. If we get close to finals, give Stuey one more run. If not, well Josh Drummond is available I hear.

Or we could go an ex-Sun in Andrew McQualter!

You'd love to have a crystal ball to know the answer but I'm not sure a new coach is the answer. The current plan stacks up when executed properly and they actually kick easy set shot goals. Still the improvement from within, the key group of Anderson, Rowell, ballard, King, luko, Powell are still young but about to come into their prime, some smart recruiting ( we're still waiting on the big fish) and a bit of luck with injuries all together still think we are so close new coach or not. We are talking hardwick up as the difference yet dew seems to have the wood over him in recent meetings.

Would Damien willing to be an assistant? Get out of Melbourne, live in a more relaxed city and dont have to deal with head coaching pressure?

He's also from the biggest club in Australia with a wealth of experience in players over 25 and some serious quality players from 19 to 25.
Much easier to be coach of the year with a Big 4 club which also includes endorsement payments to keep quality at a lower price
A reality check on the supposed “serious quality players”.

All Australian team 2022 had one Collingwood Player Brayden Maynard in the back pocket.

Coaches Association 2022 award no Collingwood Player in top ten.

Players Association 2022 none in top five.

The AFL ladder for 2021 had Collingwood second last. Just ahead of North.

Evan’s sounds very similar to the Saints last year..

Saints said Ratten was their coach… 2-3months later… gone.

All Australian team 2022 had one Collingwood Player Brayden Maynard in the back pocket.

Just go follow collingwood

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

blah-talk-to-the-hand.gif

How have we improved on last year?
Can beat the bottom 3-4 teams
50/50 beat the middle 8 teams
Get flogged by the top 6 teams

Nearly beat the dees at home last year too
Got flogged by brisbane in the 4th quarter at the Gabba last year too

Same same rinse and repeat

Not saying Dewey’s a bad bloke or even an ok coach, but saints finished above us last year and their board didn’t settle for “maybe next year” they changed coaches and now they’re a serious finals contender.

Time to set some standards

That is not to say it would be surprising if Hardwick were to coach next year. He probably will. His burnout, if that is what it is, was with this group of players whom he felt needed to hear a new message and voice. It was not that he had tired of coaching. After a few months of sun in Europe, it would be entirely unsurprising if he developed a fondness for the Suns, an accommodating place to be.
That is a decision for later.

Evan’s sounds very similar to the Saints last year..

Saints said Ratten was their coach… 2-3months later… gone.
Evans also said the same thing last year before we re signed Dew.

Means absolutely nothing right now.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back