Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
Hey guys,

I'm what you'd call a bit of a coffee novice. Been drinking it for a few years, but only the instant stuff, and it's not exactly optimal for taste and keeping my waist line under control.

I think it's time time to branch out and discover what REAL types of coffee are best before I return to Melbourne (the coffee capital of the world). Pretty much I'm 70% about the caffeine hit and 30% about the taste.

Based on my research, a long machiatto might be the way to go, or perhaps a magic latte. Any other suggestions on what to ask the local barista to ensure I'm sipping on something delicious AND buzzing in the morning?

Or any tips on good coffee machines under a grand that might be worth investing in?

Hey guys,

I'm what you'd call a bit of a coffee novice. Been drinking it for a few years, but only the instant stuff, and it's not exactly optimal for taste and keeping my waist line under control.

I think it's time time to branch out and discover what REAL types of coffee are best before I return to Melbourne (the coffee capital of the world). Pretty much I'm 70% about the caffeine hit and 30% about the taste.

Based on my research, a long machiatto might be the way to go, or perhaps a magic latte. Any other suggestions on what to ask the local barista to ensure I'm sipping on something delicious AND buzzing in the morning?

Or any tips on good coffee machines under a grand that might be worth investing in?

Ah yes, coffee. The thing that keeps me waking up in the morning.

I currently own an EM7000 which is a great machine under 1k. I've had it for 2 years and no issues whatsoever. The em6900 before it had a long life from what I heard as well.

To go with your nice new shiny machine I also have an em0480 grinder. Some people like the breville brand but I've never owned one so can't comment on them.

As for the beans, there's quite a few online stores you can go to. If you look up elixir, they're in Brisbane and I really like their coffee. Order $53 worth for free delivery. There's ona in the Act. If you can afford it, I'd recommend little stores like these coffee rather than the cheap stuff from supermarkets.

Hey guys,

I have had a coffee addiction for many years. Firstly, you'll be pleased to know that if you start drinking black coffee, it won't affect your waist line!

I own this: https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/breville-the-duo-temp-pro-espresso-machine-bes810bss

I also used to be a barista for a while. The key to good coffee is mostly about the beans. They need to be fresh and freshly grinded. If you know what you're doing you can use a cheap machine to get really nice coffees.

I only drink long blacks which can taste bad to some, but if you've been drinking instant it will be a 1000% improvement.

If you do go down this route, it'll take you a few goes to get it how you like. Experiment with it. Amount of coffee in the group head, amount of time that it strains, whether you need a little hot water in it, etc.

Most importantly, and what a lot of coffee makers get wrong, is you don't want to burn the coffee. 90% of the time this happens while it's straining.
If you put too much coffee in the group head, the boiling water will take too long to pass through and it'll burn. You want that caramel/nutty aroma when it's coming out. That's when you know it's good! Heaps of Youtube vids on that too i'd imagine.

Another CHEAP alternative I love, Turkish or Polish Coffee. It's like preparing a milo (don't drink the grounds tho). Give it a go!

I have had a coffee addiction for many years. Firstly, you'll be pleased to know that if you start drinking black coffee, it won't affect your waist line!

I own this: https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/breville-the-duo-temp-pro-espresso-machine-bes810bss

I also used to be a barista for a while. The key to good coffee is mostly about the beans. They need to be fresh and freshly grinded. If you know what you're doing you can use a cheap machine to get really nice coffees.

I only drink long blacks which can taste bad to some, but if you've been drinking instant it will be a 1000% improvement.

If you do go down this route, it'll take you a few goes to get it how you like. Experiment with it. Amount of coffee in the group head, amount of time that it strains, whether you need a little hot water in it, etc.

Most importantly, and what a lot of coffee makers get wrong, is you don't want to burn the coffee. 90% of the time this happens while it's straining.
If you put too much coffee in the group head, the boiling water will take too long to pass through and it'll burn. You want that caramel/nutty aroma when it's coming out. That's when you know it's good! Heaps of Youtube vids on that too i'd imagine.

Another CHEAP alternative I love, Turkish or Polish Coffee. It's like preparing a milo (don't drink the grounds tho). Give it a go!
Thanks mate! I actually ended up buying a very similar machine to that not long ago. Still in the experimental phase but I've found that a long machiatto followed by a strong latte in the morning gives me an incredible buzz. The long mach is a bit rough to get down but is growing on me, then the latte helps act as a bit of a chaser while provided an additional caffeine hit.

So pretty much I'm having 4 shots of espresso in the morning, perhaps not all that healthy but I've read 5 a day is OK so I'm not going to worry too much! It certainly beats having 3-4 of those 3-in-1 satchels that I used to do for years.

Thanks mate! I actually ended up buying a very similar machine to that not long ago. Still in the experimental phase but I've found that a long machiatto followed by a strong latte in the morning gives me an incredible buzz. The long mach is a bit rough to get down but is growing on me, then the latte helps act as a bit of a chaser while provided an additional caffeine hit.

So pretty much I'm having 4 shots of espresso in the morning, perhaps not all that healthy but I've read 5 a day is OK so I'm not going to worry too much! It certainly beats having 3-4 of those 3-in-1 satchels that I used to do for years.

Well if you're having all of your caffeine in the morning and it's not affecting your sleep i reckon its just fine!

I love coffee (drink about 8 a day, all before 2, virtually all black, will have a milk based drink at a cafe about once a week).

The 5 a day mark is commonly quoted, although it is not clear whether there are other confounding factors affecting it (those who might drink a lot of coffee might be more likely to work long hours in a stressful job etc).

I currently own an EM7000 which is a great machine under 1k. I've had it for 2 years and no issues whatsoever. The em6900 before it had a long life from what I heard as well.

We had the em6900 for ~ 9 years. We had it repaired a couple of times; once to remove calcium (didn't clean it enough) and once to replace the pump. Aside from that, it was a great machine, especially the double pump which meant you could pour the coffee and froth the milk at the same time. The Mrs was recommended the https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/breville-the-barista-espresso-coffee-machine-bes870bss and after a debate, we bought it. It has meant we no longer buy our beans ground and I've learnt to live with the single pump. Would recommend.

I'd recommend little stores like these coffee rather than the cheap stuff from supermarkets.

Agree, avoid supermarket stuff. Buy from coffee shops or wholesalers (1 kg bag lasts us at least a month). $8-$15 for a 250g bag which lasts us at least a week (~2-3 cups per day).

A mate has had 3 over about 5 or 6 years...he had to return the first 2 within the first two years under warranty. They're OK, but the pump is a bit weak, which i'm guessing is why they broke (too much use maybe??? they'd use it 3 to 4 times a day, pouring two cups at a time). You also don't always get the best extract (i.e. you want to get a pour that looks a bit like honey dripping out, as opposed to what looks free flowing water and a percolator like taste.

Most machines are very similar in terms of parts, they used to be made and designed in Italy but probably made in China now
I got a sunbeam machine for $25 bucks form an op shop almost brand new
Still going about 6 or 7 years later
Makes a good coffee (well I do with it)
Its really more about the fresh grind than the machine ( a good grinder that portions)

I did a barista course as part of some volunteer work I did for the local sports club.

Fresh grind to suit local humidity (coffee is better in cold places finer grind more flavour)
Even and firm pack (consistency)
Quick load and make (most burnt taste is from leaving the coffee in the machine too long before you start it)
Stop when you see the change in colour (more liquid doesnt make a stronger coffee)
Practice

there you go your now a barista like Jab Watson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont bother ordering a machiatto in Melb, half the baristas here dont even know how to make one, you will get some wildly different looking coffees from doing so. The best ones wont ask you if you want a long or short mac, because the aficionado's will tell you, long macs dont exist.

I buy my beans from here www.fivesenses.com.au mostly because I live around the corner but they are excellent, have tried seven seeds and sensory lab and a few of the other main ones but keep coming back to them, and Im now too snobby to buy anything but single origins and thier range is the best.

For a home machine I have em6900. A grand is an awkward price point for coffee equipment, you are better off having a cheap machine and a good grinder rather than the other way around, the machine wont make the coffee taste better, it may be a bit quieter the more you spend or last a bit longer but a good grinder will definitely give you a better tasting coffee.

Last edited:
What is your definition of a Macchiato? Is it a shot with a bit of frothed milk? There is a fair bit of variety with the macchiato and how you get the milk, tiny bit of froth to a dollop of milk.
Why isn't there a long macchiato? That's my general order as it's the closest thing to what I make at home with my stovetop espresso. Which is a double shot and a drop of milk.
Long black can be a bit strong and flat white/latte can be a bit creamy

61s2pDunk9L._SL1500_.jpg

Best coffee machine ever. and cheap

What is your definition of a Macchiato? Is it a shot with a bit of frothed milk? There is a fair bit of variety with the macchiato and how you get the milk, tiny bit of froth to a dollop of milk.
Why isn't there a long macchiato? That's my general order as it's the closest thing to what I make at home with my stovetop espresso. Which is a double shot and a drop of milk.
Long black can be a bit strong and flat white/latte can be a bit creamy

For me its an espresso with a dallop of milk froth on top, but some barristas are better frothers than others. I reguarly stop at Coffee Chakra in Myrtleford when driving through but one day I ordered a long mac from him and got informed that there is no long mac, he just makes one kind. Upon further investigation on the net, I realised its a bit of a talking point. https://www.fivesenses.com.au/blog/theres-something-about-macchiato/

If you like filtered coffee - this and nothing else is your purchase. Couple that with either a Breville Smart grinder or a Helor 101 hand grinder and you're set. I've got both - prefer the Helor as you can take it anywhere with your aeropress. Brew at a ratio of 60g coffee / 1L of water with your water brewing temp at 95deg celsius (you can set this on the Behmor)

Freshly ground beans are imperative, so make sure you spend a bit of money on that.

http://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au/ViewProduct.aspx/1229-behmor-brazen-plus-coffee-brewer

https://helor-coffee.com/

got one in my house. make 500ml in the morning and 500ml at night. by that rate I'm powering through a kilo of coffee every 3 or so weeks - but it takes my spend per coffee down to $1 per cup. multiply that out - I'm saving $6 a day, doesn't take long to make my money back.
That machine looks good for an office I reckon.

Metallic taste?
I am not sure about the aluminium one but the stainless steel one does not leave a metallic taste at all.
Also I brew it on a very low heat on gas so it just trickles out and take it off the heat when it goes a blonde colour.
After a while you know when to take it off before it steams up.
Really nice flavoured coffee doing it this way.

I have this bad boy and use various beans roasted in the last few weeks. Love it. Two long blacks a day, like clockwork. Any more and I get weird. Can't do caffeine in the afternoon or I don't sleep. Have to balance my uppers and downers. I find anything with milk tastes like a dessert to me.

images

Remove this Banner Ad

Back