Analysis Collingwood 2019 AGM

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s on Wednesday evening 13th Feb

(Having players like WHE and Crispy sign extensions this time of year is always a good reminder that the AGM is coming up ;) )

Anybody going? It’s open to Legends / Club 5 / Social club members. Unfortunately I can’t make it this year

I’m guessing it’ll be a reasonably happy occassion? Member’s scarves showing the wrong years-of-membership is probably the most we can complain about? The finances weren’t amazing, but we did make a profit and our seniors made the GF, our VFL lads made finals, our VFLW girls were the minor Premiers, our netball girls did poorly but have had a cleanout. Our AFLW girls have performed below expectations for the third year now and maybe some questions will be asked about that.

Any predictions about life memberships?

Last edited:

What kind of tidbits get revealed at these meetings?

Members ask questions like "Why is the price of hotdogs at Etihad so high" and "I think we would of won the grand final if we played Darcy Moore, you should of played Darcy Moore" and the club politely tells those people to pass the mic to the next person and then we all go home.

Members ask questions like "Why is the price of hotdogs at Etihad so high" and "I think we would of won the grand final if we played Darcy Moore, you should of played Darcy Moore" and the club politely tells those people to pass the mic to the next person and then we all go home.
Sounds riveting. So it's like stereotypical BigFooty stuff rather than like "How have you rated X's development?"

What kind of tidbits get revealed at these meetings?

It’s typically about the strategic direction of the club rather than specifically the department that’s responsible for guys and guys kicking a pigskin around a paddock (which tends to be the domain of the members’ forum). Anybody going there expecting Bucks to wax lyrical on the chances of IQ playing round 1 will be sorely disappointed.

Some might wonder what else there is to Collingwood apart from the footy teams and those darstardly netballers. There’s the financials (profit and loss, revenue streams, sponsorship deals), membership issues (I’ve been a member for 122 years so why can’t I drink full strength beer at the footy?!?), club image (pokies, corporate social responsibility issues, etc, etc), media, merchandise and there’ll be others.

They typically give out a bunch of life memberships. Some will be to your girlhood/boyhood heros. Some will be to be people behind the scenes who you’ve never heard of before, but have gone way above and beyond in their service to Collingwood.

Last edited:

You forgot the bit about Ed singing, and them serving free beer afterwards as an inducement to wind it up.

So sort of like live bigfooty

;)

You’re not wrong by the way

So sort of like live bigfooty

;)

You’re not wrong by the way

Sure, there are some that are like that ...

... but IMO that’s greatly in the minority, and all the more so since they put on the members’ forum to give people a specific opportunity to air that stuff.

I reckon the folks at the AGM tend to be quite level headed and have an interest in the strategic direction of the club.

Yeah, there’ll be a bunch of duff questions, but most will be reasonable.

It’s typically about the strategic direction of the club rather than specifically the department that’s responsible for guys and guys kicking a pigskin around a paddock (which tends to be the domain of the members’ forum). Anybody going there expecting Bucks to wax lyrical on the chances of IQ playing round 1 will be sorely disappointed.

Some might wonder what else there is to Collingwood apart from the footy teams and those darstardly netballers. There’s the financials (profit and loss, revenue streams, sponsorship deals), membership issues (I’ve been a member for 122 years so why can’t I drink full strength beer at the footy?!?), club image (pokies, corporate social responsibility issues, etc, etc), media, merchandise and there’ll be others.

They typically give out a bunch of life memberships. Some will be to your girlhood/boyhood heros. Some will be to be people behind the scenes who you’ve never heard of before, but have gone way above and beyond in their service to Collingwood.
I’ve often wondered if we as a club give enough life memberships to the unsung heroes not sure we really do?

Players, committe types sure.

As an example a lady Marilyn Cook worked for years at the club as did her husband Bill Cook (property steward).
Though we gace a lady life membership who was wife Alex Weislitz recently for her high work in bringing in monies etc.

Sure, there are some that are like that ...

... but IMO that’s greatly in the minority, and all the more so since they put on the members’ forum to give people a specific opportunity to air that stuff.

I reckon the folks at the AGM tend to be quite level headed and have an interest in the strategic direction of the club.

Yeah, there’ll be a bunch of duff questions, but most will be reasonable.
Ofcourse you’re correct.
It’s usually genial over all with some long winded stuff.

Sounds riveting. So it's like stereotypical BigFooty stuff rather than like "How have you rated X's development?"

It’s worth pointing out that this is a quasi legal requirement because of the club’s corporate structure.

And whilst it might seem boring and irrelevant ...

... consider the bigger picture. There are clubs like Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney and West Coast who are perennial over-achievers irrespective of their players and coach ... and there are clubs like St Kilda, Melbourne and Freo who are perennial under achievers irrespective of their players and coach.

Consider Carlton. They have won five wooden spoons since 2000 ... who do you blame for that? You can’t blame the coach because they’ve had seven of them from seasoned experts like Malthouse and Parkin to rookies like Brittain and Smiley. You can’t blame the list because they get the same salary cap as everyone else, and they’ve probably had as many high draft picks as GWS. You can’t blame the recruiters because they’ve probably turned over as many recruiters as senior coaches. Ditto fitness departments. Yeah, they’ve had board changes and President changes ...

... but the culture within the four walls of that club (which the board is ultimately responsible for) is a culture of losers.

Consider Richmond. They owned ninth spot on the ladder for years. Then some motley pack of merry men and women put up a board challenge (remember the “focus of football” ticket?). Peggy and co survived, they pulled their finger out and Hey Presto! they win a Premiership after 245 years in the wilderness.

Yeah, boards and governance and AGM’s might not be sexy ... but they matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s worth pointing out that this is a quasi legal requirement because of the club’s corporate structure.

And whilst it might seem boring and irrelevant ...

... consider the bigger picture. There are clubs like Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney and West Coast who are perennial over-achievers irrespective of their players and coach ... and there are clubs like St Kilda, Melbourne and Freo who are perennial under achievers irrespective of their players and coach.

Consider Carlton. They have won five wooden spoons since 2000 ... who do you blame for that? You can’t blame the coach because they’ve had seven of them from seasoned experts like Malthouse and Parkin to rookies like Brittain and Smiley. You can’t blame the list because they get the same salary cap as everyone else, and they’ve probably had as many high draft picks as GWS. You can’t blame the recruiters because they’ve probably turned over as many recruiters as senior coaches. Ditto fitness departments. Yeah, they’ve had board changes and President changes ...

... but the culture within the four walls of that club (which the board is ultimately responsible for) is a culture of losers.

Consider Richmond. They owned ninth spot on the ladder for years. Then some motley pack of merry men and women put up a board challenge (remember the “focus of football” ticket?). Peggy and co survived, they pulled their finger out and Hey Presto! they win a Premiership after 245 years in the wilderness.

Yeah, boards and governance and AGM’s might not be sexy ... but they matter.
No, I'm not commenting on that aspect, that's of interest to me. It was more questions like "why can't I drink full-strength" and two-bit pontificating from members of the public that would make it unappealing to me.

Members ask questions like ... "I think we would of won the grand final if we played Darcy Moore, you should of played Darcy Moore" ...

I know what you mean and you’re probably right ...

... but most of the folks there would have seen Collingwood lose around ten Grand Finals, so it’s not unreasonable that they would respectfully expect the club to account for the loss. Irrespective of pre-season expectations, we wouldn’t be Collingwood if we were simply satisfied with making it to the Grand Final.

Ed is an experienced operator, he won’t wait for somebody to ask. He’ll predictably go on about how much progress was made lst season season, but they’ll be expecting to do better this year.

No, I'm not commenting on that aspect, that's of interest to me. It was more questions like "why can't I drink full-strength" and two-bit pontificating from members of the public that would make it unappealing to me.

Most questions are respectable and reasonable. There’ll be a few that are ridiculous and they’re the ones that are memorable.

Hopefully someone asks how the pokie exit will affect the bottom line, if/how we’re going to replace that profit/revenue, how much we sold them for and details on how we’re looking to spend that money.

Why there been a Real Lack of Content from the Media Team

I’m loving that aspect of this off-season. It’s the most under the radar I can remember the club ever being which has been long overdue. As long as they communicate injuries and lift their game on training footage I’m happy.

I’m loving that aspect of this off-season. It’s the most under the radar I can remember the club ever being which has been long overdue. As long as they communicate injuries and lift their game on training footage I’m happy.

I thought with the Upgrade of the Media Department means we get to see more

I thought with the Upgrade of the Media Team and Equipment means we get to see more

Sometimes less is more! I think you’d be perfectly entitled to enquire over the lack of content, but I’d rather focus on the lack of innovation in the content. Bring the fans closer to the action and you can increase content at the same time, IMO.

I’m also just offering a different opinion and I think your criticism of lead time on the intraclubs was particularly valid. I’d just prefer a scenario where we don’t need to know when they’re on to attend and can tune in from our lounge room or office.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back