domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
I have just got home from a special morning gathering. My extended family met at Victoria Park at 7:00 am this morning to spread the ashes of my younger brother on the sacred turf and speak some words about him and what Collingwood means to our family. We recalled so many stories about Victoria Park. I pointed to various locations of the ground and stands and each place held precious memories.

I had stood in the centre of the ground with my younger brother 22 years earlier. Our mum had just died and our dad was dying. We lost both of them at the young age of 68 and 70 within three months of each other. We chose Victoria Park as our catch up venue because it holds such a sacred place in our hearts. My brother and I sat in the Sherrin Stand and simply looked at the green grass in silence for a long time, with so many beautiful memories of our dad and unforgettable moments from games from our childhood the three of us attended coming to mind.

I asked my brother to walk to the centre of the ground as I had decided I was going to tell him to his face how much I loved him. Losing people reminds you of how fleeting our existence is and I had made a promise I would never lose a loved one and have the regret that I never told them how much I loved and admired them.

My little brother was a toughie. He boxed, he ran a bricklaying company and he was a "bit of a lad" yet he had a very soft centre. I'll never forget the look on his face when we reached the centre of the ground and I said I had something I wanted to say to him. I told him how much I loved him and how proud I was to call him my brother. I told him he was the most creative, multi-talented person I had ever known. He was a little embarrassed and taken aback but clearly deeply touched. I felt such a sense of peace knowing I had spoken the words out loud. I have done the same with all of my family and friends and it frees me of the dread of leaving things unsaid when a loved one dies. We can't avoid death but we can ease the pain a little by having no regrets.

So today we stood in that very same space and each family member, brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces took turns to spread his ashes on the centre circle of Victoria Park.

It reminded me once more of how much this club means to so many of us. It is a constant thread running through our lives and it binds us in a way which honestly makes no sense. We feel such love for the black and white. It's our team. Five generations of my family have supported this club and I'm sure the grandkids' children will carry on this great tradition.

I know that Craig McCrae " gets it" in a way few of our coaches have. He constantly acknowledges the supporters. He made sure every player understood the history of this club and their own guernsey. I think that is why our army has never been louder or more passionate than in the last two years. We really feel and believe we are on this journey with the players and not just spectating from afar.

It was a beautiful morning. It makes tomorrow all the more meaningful.

Floreat Pica.

Thank you for sharing your powerful testimony with us today. Having lost both parents, and my older brother, over the last nine years, I can validate your message as I had a similar experience with my Dad. He brought me up to worship the New York Football Giants. Through our team, we were most intimate and that is when I laid my heart as he lie on his deathbed only hours from being taken from liver cancer. But we had many other close exchanges afterward, in my dreams, long after he passed. The same with my mother and brother.

That you were able to use the Victoria Park ground as the backdrop for your experience was magical and I hope you both find that other level with which to connect at. It may take time, so be patient and let the magic of your day do its thing.

Thanks again for sharing your story.

Peace, my friend!

Thank you for sharing your powerful testimony with us today. Having lost both parents, and my older brother, over the last nine years, I can validate your message as I had a similar experience with my Dad. He brought me up to worship the New York Football Giants. Through our team, we were most intimate and that is when I laid my heart as he lie on his deathbed only hours from being taken from liver cancer. But we had many other close exchanges afterward, in my dreams, long after he passed. The same with my mother and brother.

That you were able to use the Victoria Park ground as the backdrop for your experience was magical and I hope you both find that other level with which to connect at. It may take time, so be patient and let the magic of your day do its thing.

Thanks again for sharing your story.

Peace, my friend!
That means a lot. Thanks for your kind words.

Last edited:
I have just got home from a special morning gathering. My extended family met at Victoria Park at 7:00 am this morning to spread the ashes of my younger brother on the sacred turf and speak some words about him and what Collingwood means to our family. We recalled so many stories about Victoria Park. I pointed to various locations of the ground and stands and each place held precious memories.

I had stood in the centre of the ground with my younger brother 22 years earlier. Our mum had just died and our dad was dying. We lost both of them at the young age of 68 and 70 within three months of each other. We chose Victoria Park as our catch up venue because it holds such a sacred place in our hearts. My brother and I sat in the Sherrin Stand and simply looked at the green grass in silence for a long time, with so many beautiful memories of our dad and unforgettable moments from games from our childhood the three of us attended coming to mind.

I asked my brother to walk to the centre of the ground as I had decided I was going to tell him to his face how much I loved him. Losing people reminds you of how fleeting our existence is and I had made a promise I would never lose a loved one and have the regret that I never told them how much I loved and admired them.

My little brother was a toughie. He boxed, he ran a bricklaying company and he was a "bit of a lad" yet he had a very soft centre. I'll never forget the look on his face when we reached the centre of the ground and I said I had something I wanted to say to him. I told him how much I loved him and how proud I was to call him my brother. I told him he was the most creative, multi-talented person I had ever known. He was a little embarrassed and taken aback but clearly deeply touched. I felt such a sense of peace knowing I had spoken the words out loud. I have done the same with all of my family and friends and it frees me of the dread of leaving things unsaid when a loved one dies. We can't avoid death but we can ease the pain a little by having no regrets.

So today we stood in that very same space and each family member, brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces took turns to spread his ashes on the centre circle of Victoria Park.

It reminded me once more of how much this club means to so many of us. It is a constant thread running through our lives and it binds us in a way which honestly makes no sense. We feel such love for the black and white. It's our team. Five generations of my family have supported this club and I'm sure the grandkids' children will carry on this great tradition.

I know that Craig McCrae " gets it" in a way few of our coaches have. He constantly acknowledges the supporters. He made sure every player understood the history of this club and their own guernsey. I think that is why our army has never been louder or more passionate than in the last two years. We really feel and believe we are on this journey with the players and not just spectating from afar.

Floreat Pica.
Domus... My condolences for your loss. Your post was touching and beautifully written. Your post also is a timely reminder that we should not take life for granted, and to tell our friends and loved ones how much they mean to us.

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tremendous Domus.
I was there last week and sat in the Sherrin and Ryder stands for extended periods.
Watching the people walk their dogs, I don't think they would understand what that place means to us, but I don't mind them enjoying themselves on the hallowed turf.
Your brother will forever be on the spot tread by Len Thompson and Albert Collier.

Domus... My condolences for your loss. Your post was touching and beautifully written. Your post also is a timely reminder that we should not take life for granted, and to tell our friends and loved ones how much they mean to us.

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Thanks for your kindness

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Domus that was a marvellous heartfelt post Brother,I am so sorry for your families loss mate, life can be so short sometimes. I am glad you were able to put your brother on a sacred place for 5 generations of your family, I visited my father in aged care last week and whilst there I phoned his sister my auntie she is 95 and spot on mentally and physically but she has had more than her tragedy in her life,she had 2 girls who both died in their 40,s from breast cancer one is bad but 2 is heartbreaking.

Lost of your Brother I feel for you mate,it would nice if the boys get up tomorrow for your family quite something to have 5 gens following the one club and it is what makes the Pies what they are, Go The Pies.

Domus that was a marvellous heartfelt post Brother,I am so sorry for your families loss mate, life can be so short sometimes. I am glad you were able to put your brother on a sacred place for 5 generations of your family, I visited my father in aged care last week and whilst there I phoned his sister my auntie she is 95 and spot on mentally and physically but she has had more than her tragedy in her life,she had 2 girls who both died in their 40,s from breast cancer one is bad but 2 is heartbreaking.

Lost of your Brother I feel for you mate,it would nice if the boys get up tomorrow for your family quite something to have 5 gens following the one club and it is what makes the Pies what they are, Go The Pies.
Thank you, for your kind words. I can't imagine going on living if I lost two of my kids.

Floreat Pica.

Dear Domus thank you for your beautiful post and my deepest condolences to you and your family. A beautiful eulogy for your brother. Yes Collingwood is more than a football team and Victoria Park is more than a football ground. It tells the story of our community though our memories and ongoing connection to place. It’s meaning is both mysterious and vivid. Gathering there binds us like no other experience.

Floreat Pica

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thoughts with you and the family domus. Thanks for sharing that experience and those words. It's just a silly game but the club, the community and the bonding it enables is so much more than that.

Floreat pica.

Floreat Pica.
Wow. This post really hit home. First of all condolences on the loss of your dear brother and thank you for writing such a heartfelt post. I too belong to a family Collingwood dynasty from my grandfather who migrated to Melbourne from Scotland in 1913 to my own five grandkids. My kids even married Collingwood supporters. I find it hard to articulate what the club and fellow supporters mean to me. As a child my family was very religious, something I walked away from totally at 17 seeing through the manipulative crap. I think Collingwood honestly filled the void as something to believe in and a community to belong to. The 60s-80s were tough times re missed flags but I believe that the fact that the Collingwood tribe stuck fast during that time is partly responsible for the solidarity that defines the club. I've learned in my old age that it doesn't matter who wins anymore. I'm comfortable in the belief that my team is superior to all others and has something they wouldn't even know about. Go Pies!.💕

Wow. This post really hit home. First of all condolences on the loss of your dear brother and thank you for writing such a heartfelt post. I too belong to a family Collingwood dynasty from my grandfather who migrated to Melbourne from Scotland in 1913 to my own five grandkids. My kids even married Collingwood supporters. I find it hard to articulate what the club and fellow supporters mean to me. As a child my family was very religious, something I walked away from totally at 17 seeing through the manipulative crap. I think Collingwood honestly filled the void as something to believe in and a community to belong to. The 60s-80s were tough times re missed flags but I believe that the fact that the Collingwood tribe stuck fast during that time is partly responsible for the solidarity that defines the club. I've learned in my old age that it doesn't matter who wins anymore. I'm comfortable in the belief that my team is superior to all others and has something they wouldn't even know about. Go Pies!.💕
Thanks. It's almost impossible to explain the sense of belonging and passion to people who have no interest in football.

Dear Domus thank you for your beautiful post and my deepest condolences to you and your family. A beautiful eulogy for your brother. Yes Collingwood is more than a football team and Victoria Park is more than a football ground. It tells the story of our community though our memories and ongoing connection to place. It’s meaning is both mysterious and vivid. Gathering there binds us like no other experience.

Floreat Pica

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Thanks. I'm a little overwhelmed by the beautiful, heartfelt responses. I think it just underlines what I wrote. It really is a community or "tribe" and the passion and connection is real.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back