Collingwood- So Much More Than a Football Team

Remove this Banner Ad

I have just got home from a special morning gathering. My extended family met at Victoria Park at 7:00 am this morning to spread the ashes of my younger brother on the sacred turf and speak some words about him and what Collingwood means to our family. We recalled so many stories about Victoria Park. I pointed to various locations of the ground and stands and each place held precious memories.

I had stood in the centre of the ground with my younger brother 22 years earlier. Our mum had just died and our dad was dying. We lost both of them at the young age of 68 and 70 within three months of each other. We chose Victoria Park as our catch up venue because it holds such a sacred place in our hearts. My brother and I sat in the Sherrin Stand and simply looked at the green grass in silence for a long time, with so many beautiful memories of our dad and unforgettable moments from games from our childhood the three of us attended coming to mind.

I asked my brother to walk to the centre of the ground as I had decided I was going to tell him to his face how much I loved him. Losing people reminds you of how fleeting our existence is and I had made a promise I would never lose a loved one and have the regret that I never told them how much I loved and admired them.

My little brother was a toughie. He boxed, he ran a bricklaying company and he was a "bit of a lad" yet he had a very soft centre. I'll never forget the look on his face when we reached the centre of the ground and I said I had something I wanted to say to him. I told him how much I loved him and how proud I was to call him my brother. I told him he was the most creative, multi-talented person I had ever known. He was a little embarrassed and taken aback but clearly deeply touched. I felt such a sense of peace knowing I had spoken the words out loud. I have done the same with all of my family and friends and it frees me of the dread of leaving things unsaid when a loved one dies. We can't avoid death but we can ease the pain a little by having no regrets.

So today we stood in that very same space and each family member, brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces took turns to spread his ashes on the centre circle of Victoria Park.

It reminded me once more of how much this club means to so many of us. It is a constant thread running through our lives and it binds us in a way which honestly makes no sense. We feel such love for the black and white. It's our team. Five generations of my family have supported this club and I'm sure the grandkids' children will carry on this great tradition.

I know that Craig McCrae " gets it" in a way few of our coaches have. He constantly acknowledges the supporters. He made sure every player understood the history of this club and their own guernsey. I think that is why our army has never been louder or more passionate than in the last two years. We really feel and believe we are on this journey with the players and not just spectating from afar.

It was a beautiful morning. It makes tomorrow all the more meaningful.

Floreat Pica.

Sorry for your loss mate, but a beautifully written post.

There is something about supporting this club that other club supporters just don't understand. The love and connection we have for our club runs deep and we are so fortunate to be a part of something really special this year.

What a fantastic way to send off your brother and mother. Having lost 2 brothers myself, it's a hole that is only ever covered over, you never really fill that hole again. I love your posts and your humility on here, real Collingwood passion
Thanks, manicure. You are right. We just learn to live with the loss of loved ones. The hole is always there. Thanks for your kind words.

Sorry for your loss mate, but a beautifully written post.

There is something about supporting this club that other club supporters just don't understand. The love and connection we have for our club runs deep and we are so fortunate to be a part of something really special this year.
Thanks so much, Big Bryza.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back