Moved Thread Collingwood V Port Adelaide Jumper Debate part2

Remove this Banner Ad

Weren’t Port known as the Magentas before they were called the Magpies? Drop Teal for Magenta and incorporate into the prison bars maybe?
Didn't think we had a nickname prior to the Magpies. Wharfies maybe.

We also had a sky blue jumper as well.
Yes, we were the Magentas

False premise. "We care so much about your history Port, now please ditch the parts we have no use for and then you can join us in the AFL". You buying that?

Perhaps a Freudian slip there, I'm sure you meant '14.

Point 1 -- I think without said history the AFL wouldn't have given Port a thought. We probably would have had Norwood instead.

Point 2 -- yeah it is the 2014 one. D'oh...

Just bring back the GOAT and be done with it.

View attachment 484235

If it were up to me, just from my personal taste, I’d have this as the home with an inverse white base as the away - with the prison bars acting as a “third” guernsey, to feature 4-5 times during the season.

The current chevron design, whilst is clean, lacks character compared to the above.

I wouldn’t want to change the chevrons for anything less than the original Prison Bars. This design (inaugural away) is one of my favourites though and I reckon if it was used as our home from the get go we’d still be using it.

False premise. "We care so much about your history Port, now please ditch the parts we have no use for and then you can join us in the AFL". You buying that?
Exactly what happened to North though (you wore navy with a white monogram in 1924 and were made to change away from that as a condition of joining the VFL in 1925).

I'm OK with Port wearing the prison bars as a clash jumper (except against us.)
In a reserves comp? I'm assuming as others have said that the league will want the same branding across teams and Port won't get to wear the prison bars or be the Magpies.

I think at one point I suggested Port wearing the PBs with a teal yoke as a home jumper. I'd be alright with that.

Exactly what happened to North though (you wore navy with a white monogram in 1924 and were made to change away from that as a condition of joining the VFL in 1925).
You could argue that branding was much less important back than rather than how important it was in 1997 and is today, even though your point was completely valid. But with alternative jumpers existing in 1997 it was possible for us to have worn a clash jumper v Collingwood, even if we may have needed to change our moniker.

You could argue that branding was much less important back than rather than how important it was in 1997 and is today, even though your point was completely valid. But with alternative jumpers existing in 1997 it was possible for us to have worn a clash jumper v Collingwood, even if we may have needed to change our moniker.

Why would Collingwood, or at that point, a competition that didn't include Port Adelaide and had no competing jumper, moniker/named teams agree to anything that watered down Collingwood's, or any existing team's, branding when that new entrant had no history in THAT competition and the solution was dead simple? It would have been irresponsible of the Collingwood board and AFL commission and unnecessarily antagonistic of the AFL. It just wasn't debatable.

The retrospective discussion about all this is commercially naive at best. As for Port wanting to revert, surely that's a retrograde move and one that limits their future expansion for the appeasement of an ageing existing supporter base clinging to a past century that can’t return. To maximise growth of their support base they need to represent non Port Adelaide fans in the future and not be watered down by an existing and larger club’s branding. That doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t or can't acknowledge the past but clinging to it isn’t a life line it’s a holding pattern.

The retrospective discussion about all this is commercially naive at best. As for Port wanting to revert, surely that's a retrograde move and one that limits their future expansion for the appeasement of an ageing existing supporter base clinging to a past century that can’t return. To maximise growth of their support base they need to represent non Port Adelaide fans in the future and not be watered down by an existing and larger club’s branding. That doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t or can't acknowledge the past but clinging to it isn’t a life line it’s a holding pattern.

This totally misses the point. You don't recruit more supporters by watering down your own brand so it's more palatable to others. You recruit more supporters by winning. What branding does is engages existing supporters and makes them feel like they belong, and that's how football clubs make money.

Basically, push the best parts of your club and history as hard as you can. Anyone turned off by that was never going to be a fan anyway.

You don't recruit more supporters by watering down your own brand so it's more palatable to others.
Agreed, and since Port's brand is strong and centred on the BIB, why do some fans keep wanting to water their BIB brand down by mucking around with old jumpers?

From a purely heritage standpoint I support using the PBs now and again, much like Brisbane using Fitzroy's colours in Melbourne. The difference with Port is that they freely entered into an agreement not to use it, and that it encroaches on another club,

Yeah I was mainly referring to the idea of having two teams with the same name. Even still, having two teams with the exact same colour scheme is never going to work. I'm happy for Port to wear it for special occasions maybe twice a year, but never against Collingwood. It will make my eyes bleed.
Geelong and Carlton. ;)

This totally misses the point. You don't recruit more supporters by watering down your own brand so it's more palatable to others. You recruit more supporters by winning. What branding does is engages existing supporters and makes them feel like they belong, and that's how football clubs make money.

Basically, push the best parts of your club and history as hard as you can. Anyone turned off by that was never going to be a fan anyway.
Port need to win the kids of non SANFL Port Adelaide fans. It really is that simple. The more "old Port" they are the harder that will be. They've had non prison bar kits for 20+ years and won a flag. Prisopn bars iosn;t their tradityional strip it;s SANFL Port Adelaide's strip that many of their prospective local fan's parent's hate.

Believe me I get the whole tradition argument and all things being equal that's my base line but commercial reality is exactly that. Port have no future as a big club without a much larger share of the SA market.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong and Carlton. ;)
I can see where you're coming at but Geelong is mostly white (at least more than Carlton) and Carlton is predominately dark. They're both different designs as well. Maybe I should rephrase my statement; two teams with the same colour scheme AND design.

I can see where you're coming at but Geelong is mostly white (at least more than Carlton) and Carlton is predominately dark. They're both different designs as well. Maybe I should rephrase my statement; two teams with the same colour scheme AND design.
Yeah but the prison bars and stripes are different designs, plus at the time Collingwood was mostly white and Port mostly black.

Yeah but the prison bars and stripes are different designs, plus at the time Collingwood was mostly white and Port mostly black.
They are both striped designs, similar in more ways than not. Before the Pies changed to white on black, yes, Collingwood was white and Port was mostly black, but that isn't the case today.

This trial match provides some amount of contrast but you could never get away with it today. Heck, the commentators first remark was "Gee, don't the jumpers look alike".

Yeah I was mainly referring to the idea of having two teams with the same name. Even still, having two teams with the exact same colour scheme is never going to work. I'm happy for Port to wear it for special occasions maybe twice a year, but never against Collingwood. It will make my eyes bleed.

Two teams with the same colour is wrong but three is ok.
Adelaide
Brisbane
Gold Coast

They are both striped designs, similar in more ways than not. Before the Pies changed to white on black, yes, Collingwood was white and Port was mostly black, but that isn't the case today.

This trial match provides some amount of contrast but you could never get away with it today. Heck, the commentators first remark was "Gee, don't the jumpers look alike".

I still don't understand why this matters now if we have clash jumpers and we have the ability to wear teal.

Two teams with the same colour is wrong but three is ok.
Adelaide
Brisbane
Gold Coast
I rephrased my statement before to colour scheme AND design. Even still they all have varying use of the colours. Gold Coast can easily play Adelaide without clashing and despite what happens in the Q Clash I still think Brisbane and Gold Coast don't clash.

I was at that game; it was fine for the most part however there were times I think the players passed to the opposition because of the similar jumpers. Clash jumpers nowadays would take care of any such issues. In my ideal world we'd have the prison bars for all games and use the white chevron clash jumper when needed. That ain't gunna happen anytime soon so in the near future I'd like to at least wear the prison bars a couple of times a year.

I rephrased my statement before to colour scheme AND design. Even still they all have varying use of the colours. Gold Coast can easily play Adelaide without clashing and despite what happens in the Q Clash I still think Brisbane and Gold Coast don't clash.

And I don't care if two different clubs have the same colours, we've been around for a fair while and I can't understand how we are still whining about why another club has the same colours as them.
How many soccer clubs out there have the same colours yet manage to wear something different when they play?

Clubs need to get with the times.
I've said it before and i'll say it again, I don't care if Richmond wears pink or red away as long as it's not white or similar to the umpires.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back