Universal Love Collingwood VFLW Team (confirmed)

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been hoping for a while that Collingwood would try and get a VFLW team. Whispers on Twitter that it might be happening.

Liked by Meg Hutchins
Oh, that is interesting.
I hope some of the posters on our board don't read this.:)

I would love it if Vic Park was their home ground, I don't like Holden Centre.
But no chance I would think.

There was Talk they where doing up Vic Park so Women can play there but seen no Action

It's going to be a very different looking VFLW next season
  • Essendon announced as new team (based at Craigieburn)
  • St Kilda taking over Seaford's licence leading to questions on whether St Kilda Sharks will be re-branded
  • Casey (Melbourne) taking over Cranbourne's licence
  • Darebin, Diamond Creek and Eastern Devils needing to find VFL standard grounds
  • Questions on whether players will lineup for their few remaining original state league teams or switch to the VFLW side associated with their AFLW side (Melbourne Uni in the case of NM and VU Western Spurs in the case WB)

Apparently there's no suitable ground near the Devils and we've had/have a development partnership with them, so there has to be a chance we align or take over their licence.

There was Talk they where doing up Vic Park so Women can play there but seen no Action

I dont think there's a need to do the place up TD. If our men's VFL team play there, so can the women.

I think its still a case of wait and see what pans out. Hopefully the club is organising this with Yarra Council as I type this post...

Apparently there's no suitable ground near the Devils and we've had/have a development partnership with them, so there has to be a chance we align or take over their licence.

That would be massive! And I know just the ground, its located in Lulie Street, Abbotsford. Comes highly recommended by some.:D

Will be interesting to see who does the jumpers/apparel should we get a VFLW team. Cotton On (COAR) only do our AFLW jumper under an AFL wide sponsorship. ISC or perhaps (hopefully) our men's/women's boot sponsor nike?

I dont think there's a need to do the place up TD. If our men's VFL team play there, so can the women.

I think its still a case of wait and see what pans out. Hopefully the club is organising this with Yarra Council as I type this post...

I will personally be really pissed off if the aflw us not playing at vic park next year

Whatever the spin it will be the clubs fault if this outcome is not achieved. It will be evidence of the clubs board being out of touch with its membership and lacking in imagination and vision

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eddie at the Copeland 6 teams in 2018. None mentioned by name, however it all but confirms we'll have a VFLW side. As to the sixth team, my guess is Eddie is counting our ANL side (Tasmania magpies).

Eddie at the Copeland 6 teams in 2018. None mentioned by name, however it all but confirms we'll have a VFLW side. As to the sixth team, my guess is Eddie is counting our ANL side (Tasmania magpies).
Is there a chance he'd be counting the Oakleigh connection in the girls TAC Cup?

Sounds like we haven't replaced anyone, I'm glad we didn't push an existing club out.

http://vfl.com.au/news-clubs-enter-vfl-womens/
Six VFL Women’s licences have this week been granted for the 2018 season, with Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond, St Kilda (AFL) and Williamstown to join the competition next year, while the VU Western Spurs will be known as the Western Bulldogs and will wear the red, white and blue in a strengthening of the two clubs’ relationship.

Confirmation that we didn't force another club out.

On top of the list below Darebin confirmed a couple of days ago they've been given another 2 years in the VFLW with their place beyond that dependent on meeting conditions.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-11/tigers-saints-bombers-among-new-vflw-teams
Other VFLW sides, such as Darebin, Diamond Creek and Eastern Devils, will have the opportunity to decide whether to continue in the top tier of Victorian women's footy, with a final team structure for 2018 due to be announced at the end of October.

Confirmed 2018 VFLW sides:
  • Box Hill
  • Carlton
  • Casey Demons
  • Essendon
  • Geelong
  • Richmond
  • Southern Saints
  • Western Bulldogs
  • Williamstown

Diamond Creek, Eastern Devils and StKilda Sharks aren't continuing in the VFLW next year, so 2018 will see 12 teams in a vastly different looking comp. Fixture due mid-December.

http://vfl.com.au/vfl-womens-club-departures-confirmed/

In changes from the 2017 structure, Diamond Creek, Eastern Devils and St Kilda Sharks have informed AFL Victoria they will not be continuing in the VFL Women’s competition, while premiers Darebin and Melbourne Uni have committed to the league for next season.

“These clubs will continue to lead the way in women’s football, as they focus on the next generation of players and coaches at a community level.”

The third season of the state-league women’s competition will see Box Hill Hawks, Darebin, Geelong and Melbourne Uni, joined by Casey Demons, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond, St Kilda (Southern Saints), Western Bulldogs (VU Western Spurs) and Williamstown next year.

The 2018 VFL Women’s season will start in May, with the full fixture to be released by mid-December.

EDIT: NT Thunder become the thirteenth VFLW side, as has became custom ('pies being shipped everywhere) I'd expect us to play an away game in the NT.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-09/nt-thunders-into-vfl-womens-competition

"A number of AFL clubs will utilise the chance to visit their Next Generation Academy region to build closer ties with the area and help support the development of women's football in the Territory," Reaper said.

"For the women's NT Thunder side, it will provide a state-league opportunity like the men in the NEAFL, with VFL Women's to now play a role in the NT women's talented player pathway."

Last edited:
Club hoping to retain 22 of our AFLW players for the VFLW season with the rest of the squad to consist of 18 others and up to 7 supplementary players (to be used as we manage the workload of our AFLW contingent).

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2017-11-11/huge-turnout-at-vflw-testing-day

“With the introduction of the VFLW team, we’re going to have 22 AFLW listed players who we will be allowed to retain,” James explained.

“That will leave us with 18 spots to fill, so we wanted to search far and wide – we didn’t want to simply look internally, we wanted to see what talent was out there that we can foster to help get them drafted in 2019.

"That’s the main part of the program.

“We will be pretty close to finalising the list by mid-to-late January. We are also likely to have a supplementary list, given we have so many listed AFLW girls, which means we could have a list of 25 VFLW players in 2018.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back