Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that’s quiet a huge amount of cash…to go to the footy…..as someone who is considering it for next year coming from vic…. If those prices continue….lots of genuine footy fans will simply pass and it may bring an end to this festive weekend….

I'd love to hear a review of Gather Round from someone who wasn't there on a junket organised and paid for by the SA Government and/or the AFL. I've heard words to describe Adelaide such as 'vibrant', 'hospitable' and 'lively' yet from my experience it's none of those things. I heard about the wealth of thing to do in Adelaide but again, from experience each time I've been we got to early afternoon before thinking about what else there could possibly be to do besides head out to the hills, Kangaroo Island or Barossa - and even those are kind of quaint and sedate.

Maybe it's like the party you weren't invited to - no matter how good it was you can't get excited about hearing of it because 'you had to be there.' For me, it was just a round of football where I couldn't attend a game. And aside from the tiresome fawning over how good it was, the TV coverage failed to portray any real excitement. Maybe full stadiums of largely neutral supporters will do that.

Anyone here go? Apart from North being the worst performed team (again), is it really that good? It feels like a beat up.

Last edited:
Gather Round is s**t.

Other than the few thousand that can be bothered going to SA, the rest of the football watching public couldn’t give a * about the rest of it which is just a wankfest.

Now that SA business’ are starting to gouge punters for going to SA expect it to fall flat on its arse. The novelty will wear off very quickly if it becomes excessively overpriced to stay in Adelaide.

Who wants to pay for overpriced accomodation to stay in what is nothing more than a large suburban town to watch some footy.

Go and shout yourself a membership and a big screen TV for the same amount of money and enjoy the footy all year round.
Hey mate take a second to think about those of us who don’t live in vic and don’t get kissed on the dick with 4-5 games a week we can go and watch. Also take into account neutral games at one of the best grounds to watch sport - which doesn’t happen ever here.

Also, come and have a look before you start talking about overpriced accomodation. Pretty sure you could get a nice little air bnb up the road from the parade for three fifths of **** all.

We saw 6 games for the weekend and it was bloody excellent apart from our non afl standard football side.

This is a post called being in denial. Ask a fan who doesn't support NM or Sydney and people would overwhelmingly pick Logan McDonald.

Can things change? Absolutely and I hope it does but at this stage it's not even close.

One is playing regularly for a finals contending team, the other can't get a gig with arguably the worst team in the comp.

There were a few on here who questioned the Duursma selection at the time and gave good reasons for doing so. It's very early and a lot to play out but I see him as a risky selection who has a high upside but someone who could very easily be not one of the top 10 players of the draft class. He's that type of player. Whereas McKercher I can't see being a failure unless he gets injured. He's the style of player, with the required attributes who suits modern day AFL and has the tools to succeed.

If you're asking me now based on early evidence I think the guy from Melbourne Windsor will be in the top 2 or 3 from this draft class when the order is revised 4 or 5 years from now. Such a skilled and intelligent footballer who has composure far beyond his years.
We won't know the answer for 5-10 years but I'm pretty confident in Zane's room for improvement where imo Windsor kinda is what he is already. Zane's playing in a tougher position than Windsor where the ball isn't coming down all that often. Zane also played midfield as a junior so I'm looking forward to him putting on some size in a few years and seeing him pinch hit in the middle.
Windsor looks good for sure and I liked him as a junior but he's in a premiership side surrounded by AA players in a position where the fluctuation in performance can be more easily absorbed with a better team around them.
Time will tell and honestly we probably need a Windsor type (or is that Goater?) on in the mid/wings as well as Zane up forward.
Perhaps in this years draft Christian Moraes could be a little similar to Windsor.

Hey mate take a second to think about those of us who don’t live in vic and don’t get kissed on the dick with 4-5 games a week we can go and watch. Also take into account neutral games at one of the best grounds to watch sport - which doesn’t happen ever here.

Also, come and have a look before you start talking about overpriced accomodation. Pretty sure you could get a nice little air bnb up the road from the parade for three fifths of * all.

We saw 6 games for the weekend and it was bloody excellent apart from our non afl standard football side.
Take a trip to Melbourne and watch 6 games of footy and it will probably cost you less and there is a lot more to see and do in Melbourne.

I’m glad you enjoyed your weekend, but let’s not pretend that it’s nothing than a prepaid SA Gov advertisement and a media wankfest.

Take a trip to Melbourne and watch 6 games of footy and it will probably cost you less and there is a lot more to see and do in Melbourne.

I’m glad you enjoyed your weekend, but let’s not pretend that it’s nothing than a prepaid SA Gov advertisement and a media wankfest.
No way watching 6 games in Melbourne would cost less, the tickets are cheap as **** here mate.

Typical Melbournian bullshit - give me a list of what you can do in Melbourne that we can’t here in Adelaide

I’ll get you started - see a **** tonne of homeless littering the cbd
- have a city littered with bullshit vape cartridges

No way watching 6 games in Melbourne would cost less, the tickets are cheap as * here mate.

Typical Melbournian bullshit - give me a list of what you can do in Melbourne that we can’t here in Adelaide

I’ll get you started - see a * tonne of homeless littering the cbd
Now, now, Adelaide can hold its own there too.

Also, come and have a look before you start talking about overpriced accomodation. Pretty sure you could get a nice little air bnb up the road from the parade for three fifths of * all.

I totally get it for SA footy fans. Normally get one game to go to, now you get 9 to choose from with no travel, food or accommodation costs. It would be brilliant!

I have no problem with the concept. And I firmly believe it would only work in Adelaide. But for Victorian fans I don't get how it could be as amazing as it is being sold to us. We can just about see neutral games whenever we want for the cost of car-parking or a Myki trip. And as a holiday...it's Adelaide. Nice enough little city but also kind of boring. It's tyres are getting pumped pretty hard, and if it doesn't clash with local footy commitments I'd be tempted, but I'm skeptical if it's as good as we're being told.

No way watching 6 games in Melbourne would cost less, the tickets are cheap as * here mate.

I’ll get you started - see a * tonne of homeless littering the cbd
You could buy an AFL membership and watch as many games as you like.

As for the comment about Melbourne there is plenty to do.

I’ve been to Adelaide and the joints nothing more that a big country town, that you get bored of in1 hour.

As I said I’m glad you enjoyed your experience, but it won’t change my mind that Gather Round is a wankfest.

You could buy an AFL membership and watch as many games as you like.

As for the comment about Melbourne there is plenty to do.

I’ve been to Adelaide and the joints nothing more that a big country town, that you get bored of in1 hour.

As I said I’m glad you enjoyed your experience, but it won’t change my mind that Gather Round is a wankfest.
Massive wank fest, over priced, sensationalised, Suburban footy atmosphere with $12 cans of great northern. **** yeh!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I totally get it for SA footy fans. Normally get one game to go to, now you get 9 to choose from with no travel, food or accommodation costs. It would be brilliant!

I have no problem with the concept. And I firmly believe it would only work in Adelaide. But for Victorian fans I don't get how it could be as amazing as it is being sold to us. We can just about see neutral games whenever we want for the cost of car-parking or a Myki trip. And as a holiday...it's Adelaide. Nice enough little city but also kind of boring. It's tyres are getting pumped pretty hard, and if it doesn't clash with local footy commitments I'd be tempted, but I'm skeptical if it's as good as we're being told.
If it’s here (Perth), I’m guessing two or three games at Optus (60k)
Something like ours would be at Leederville (10k) maybe one other up at Joondalup (12k), maybe after the WACA gets redone (35k?)

Can’t see the likes of Bassendean Oval or Peel getting a game

So most of them are easy enough to get to, some nice areas about, by then extensions close to Swan Valley and up to Lancelin so plenty to see over a long weekend but accom would be a big issue

Talk about KPDs is missing the point, we’re losing due to the midfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed

Curtin, if we had played him in say Kallan Dawsons spot, would have a neck injury from watching it get kicked over his head repeatedly. And every journalist out there would be going well North Melbourne can't score and they can't stop getting scored against - should they have taken Duursma at 4 over Curtin, to try to generate some offence to keep their supporters happy and play positive footy? Was Curtin a mistake?

We can't win with the media. That's the point. Nobody questions teams who win games of footy. When we start to win games, whether that's with Duursma or Curtin or whoever, nobody will give a **** whether we got enough value for JHF, nobody will give a shit whether it's Pink or Kallan or Will or Curtin playing in defence. Winning is the ultimate retort and until we start doing it, the Caros and Cornes' of the world will keep writing articles and having barely concealed snide conversations on radio stations.

Massive wank fest, over priced, sensationalised, Suburban footy atmosphere with $12 cans of great northern. * yeh!
Just hide $6.50 craft beer tinnies in your jacket & take them in.

**** the man.

IMG_6763.jpeg

Also, adelaide is great fun.
You’re a wank fest.

I think it's lazy from 2 perspectives:
1. It's very easy to say we should have drafted Dan Curtin instead of Zane Duursma. We need a KPD and we took a forward instead. There's your article.

What it doesn't go into detail about, because it would require some research, is why we drafted Zane Duursma there is a reason we rated him so highly. Find out why talk to his junior coach, talking to our recruiting team. There is also a reason why we didn't draft Dan Curtin again find out why is it because he said he wants to play midfield? Is it because we don't see him as a KPD? Is it because we were worried about the go home factor? Who knows, I certainly don't but find out why and write that article that's a more interesting article to read.

"North Melbourne, desperate for key position defenders drafted Zane Duursma at pick 4 because they rated him as the best available player, Duursma is a smooth moving, natural forward who takes one-grab overhead marks and has no trouble consistently hitting the scoreboard an area of the Roos list that they feel needs addressing. Zane's AFL games to date have shown moments of brilliance, the young forward looks to be growing into his AFL career meanwhile Dan Curtin is yet to play a game.

North Melbourne were able to take a key position defender drafting Will Dawson with pick 22. Dawson was one of the most versatile tall prospects in the draft. Will is an imposing presence on field and while he might not start playing AFL games straight away the Kangaroos are confident that he will be defensive pillar for years to come."

2. The other reason I think it's lazy, and I'm projecting here, is I very much doubt it's his opinion, it doesn't offer anymore value or insight to what Marc "Lilac" McGowan wrote it's a me too article, there will be many more like this they just rehash each other's opinions.
Thanks for taking the time.

Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back