Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

How is that hitting back? Clarko basically said yeah, our training standards are s**t, it is why we are on the bottom of the ladder. He didn't address, in that clip, why the standards are s**t though. It is his job to make sure they aren't s**t.

The problem is WHY is it poor and why do we have no leadership, the majority of the worst players are the experienced mature players. If you would index s**t vs Age and Experience then the s**t-o-meter would be off the richter scale with very few exceptions.

We can't go on like this, we will slump into a StKilda or Carlton phase where we just wont develop players to reach their potential or will continue to bleed talent. We must have better drivers of standards and show a hunger for success.

How can players who aren't achieving what should be a basic AFL standard getting a game week after week? You have to start enforcing some standards, have some kind of metric that shows a desire to pressure, tackle and do the team thing to get a game.

We got blown off the park by a mediocre side that only needed to lay 38 tackles outside of their forward 50 and allowed to take 117 marks, 24 inside their forward 50. The defensive aspect of our game is WAY off, we have a bunch of ball watchers in the middle who aren't deploying any kind of effective defensive strategy. That is on the coaches primarily, the midfield group and the leaders. You have to set some kind of acceptable basic standards to get a game and if players keep getting games despite being unable to execute that standard on game day then it is 100% the fault of the coaches.

If you can't execute, you get told of the required standard, you drill to be able to execute it and if you can't perform you get dropped until your standard is good enough. You go to a kid and say this guy is getting dropped because he can't lay a tackle and can't pressure, can you do this job for me? Teach them how to setup, how to execute. There is no point trying to be the Harlem Globetrotters when you can't even bounce the ball. We need a block of time where we focus on the basics, moving the ball without butchering it, tackling, pressuring. We need to define a minimum standard so when punters rock up to games they have an expectation that we are going to have a crack and if we go down, the opposition is going to have to earn it, not just roll up and laugh as we turn over the ball and don't pressure.

I dunno man, he’s pretty *in cooked. He should have retired at the end of last season. Mcdonald is s**t, yeh, no doubt but pendles is done.
I could not take Collingwood knocking back boomer when he was still close to AA. And then us taking penders when he's getting carried.

That would be it.

Let's just pay for a unit at 28 -30

I think the answer to these issues plus leadership guts and commitment has really been staring us in the face for years
and that is to bring in the core of our ‘90’s premiership sides to start working with the playing group. So I’m talking 5-6 guys including Carey, Archer, Stevens and McCartney. We invite them into the club for burying the hatchet talks and aspiring to a greater cause, the future of NMFC. We get them onboard and then they work with the players to improve their performance on the ground by improving their performances between the ears and inside their chests. I would structure it something like this:

Phase 1: get the greats on the same page with a mandate to lift all aspects of our culture and performance.

Phase 2: open kimono session with the playing group, no coach’s, no cameras no phones. Any questions allowed all answers are honest.

Phase 3: the greats work with the current leadership group 1on1 and as a group 2-3 times a week.

Phase 4: after 3 weeks of the above reconvene the playing group have another question and honest answer session, implement any changes to leadership group that result. Set up a time for an all attendance team/leadership/endurance building camp with group must be at least 4 days, run by the greats no phones etc only outsiders cooks/cleaners

Phase 5: next match the greats are all in attendance together highlighted by club and media whatever the results everyone agrees NMFC are on the right track, prodigal sons, redemption stories ya da ya da ya da

Phase 6: maintenance visits by the greats with the leadership group ( they can take it on turns) once a week. Greats maintain any individual relationships they have developed with players.

Phase: 7 end of season get together with the greats initially focused on reflection on the season and how they’re feeling, then open it up to coaches and support staff then end with all NMFC staff players and partners kids bbq and piss up!!!

Season 2025 run a modified program of the above to enhance culture, support leaders and induct new players.
This is a very well thought through plan although one small issue is that virtually none of our players were born when we won the 1996 premiership so those greats are all dinosaurs to these kids.

From Dildo on AFL website

NORTH Melbourne hasn't been able to get near creating a successful culture in the past eight disastrous seasons, and now has no choice but to buy it.

It presents perfectly in the form of Scott Pendlebury. A deal to play for one season, maybe two, effectively as an on-field coach, and a commitment, if requested, beyond that to fast-track coaching credentials under one of the greatest of all time, Alastair Clarkson.

The AFL itself should encourage the plan, maybe even help facilitate it, as it can only offer so many national draft compensation packages.

>> GET THE LATEST FROM DAMIAN BARRETT

But without the injection of someone of Pendlebury's calibre into North Melbourne's very broken football operations, the Kangaroos will continue to be not merely an embarrassment but a spectacle drain on the entire competition.

Pendlebury has unfinished business with Collingwood in 2024, his 19th season, hoping to add a second consecutive and third overall Magpies premiership to a CV which is now 10 games short of a magical 400.

He will be 37 in January. So what? Eight matches ago, he played one of the finest final quarters in Grand Final history. In 2024, he's clearly not at peak agility nor impact, but he is still very, very good, and better than most.

9UCkHAo7.jpg

Scott Pendlebury in action during the Anzac Day match between Collingwood and Essendon in round seven, 2024. Picture: AFL Photos
A role across half-back at North Melbourne, which would be made more appealing if another aged-but-still-very-good veteran came with him, would be of immeasurable benefit to a young playing list getting belted every match.

If Pendlebury said no, Travis Boak and Callan Ward should be considered. If he said yes, they should be considered anyway. Any two of that trio would work better than one operating solo. Standards on the training track and, more importantly, game day would be lifted ten-fold.

Imagine the benefits of having Pendlebury, and/or Boak/Ward playing and teaching alongside North's first and second-year players, including Harry Sheezel, George Wardlaw, Colby McKercher and Zane Duursma. Ponder the positives for the more seasoned but demoralised Luke Davies-Uniacke, Jy Simpkin and Bailey Scott. Consider the effect on Nick Larkey, who somehow kicked 71 goals last year in a three-win season.

xCg9JqzD.jpg

20:43
1 day

AAA: Blues' weak spot, key to 7-0 Cats, Lion 'drops his bundle'​

Nat Edwards, Damian Barrett and Matthew Lloyd discuss a big weekend of storylines in Access All Areas
There would be zero negatives attached to Pendlebury playing for North in 2025, even if he demanded $1.3 million-plus to do so.

North is paying minimum requirements on total player payments in 2023. It has money to burn. But in its current state, no one of any quality in the prime age zone wants to go near the club, given its deplorable formline, which has seen it win just 12 of 91 matches since the start of 2020.

A commitment from Pendlebury would assist player recruiting drives, as very few players currently on any AFL list boast the respect commanded by the Collingwood champion.

I'd be highly surprised if a pitch hadn't already been made to Pendlebury, at least to people around him, at some stage of the past 18 months. North went for a Pendlebury-lite plan when it added Liam Shiels to its list for 2023, so the club would be clearly open to the idea. Shiels is still rookie-listed this season, and while he has been valuable off-field, not surprisingly he has struggled with form.

oR5pBgBW.jpg

Liam Shiels and Alastair Clarkson after the R1 match between North Melbourne and West Coast at Marvel Stadium on March 18, 2023. Picture: AFL Photos
Of course, Pendlebury, Boak and Ward may have no initial interest in playing for the Roos in their rabble state. But at one stage, Leigh Matthews had no interest in coaching the Brisbane Lions at the end of 1998. Before him, Ron Barassi had major reservations about going to North at the end of 1972. Some of the most successful and rewarding partnerships have started with resistance.

Those who have read my views on AFL.com.au of North Melbourne's self-inflicted demise into mediocrity would be aware I have always traced it back to the dreadfully managed sacking of club games record holder Brent Harvey, along with Nick Dal Santo, Drew Petrie and Michael Firrito during 2016. That was a season which for North had followed two consecutive preliminary finals and had begun with a 10-1 scoreline, and one which, out of nowhere, produced the Western Bulldogs as premier.

At the end of 2017, president Ben Buckley and his off-sider Glenn Archer drove a decision to recontract Brad Scott as coach for 2018-20. But they then changed their mind on him, and effectively sacked him halfway through that deal, replaced Scott with Rhyce Shaw, then after one season replaced Shaw with David Noble, who lasted half a season longer than Shaw. Buckley and Archer then disappeared from North operations, eventually leaving Sonja Hood and Jen Watt to clean up an almighty mess.

ME180523DT746753677.JPG

CEO Jen Watt and president Sonja Hood at a North Melbourne press conference on May 18, 2023. Picture: AFL Photos
Four-time premiership coach Alastair Clarkson has been in charge since the start of 2023 (he missed 10 matches when he took personal leave mid-2023). After two consecutive wins to begin the Clarkson stint, the Roos have lost 27 of 28 matches, including all seven this year. There is nothing to suggest that rock bottom has yet been hit.

Five best-and-fairests at Collingwood (as well as nine placings in that award) and six All-Australian nominations are already part of the Pendlebury story. He has nothing left to prove, and nothing he does from here will adversely alter his legacy. Playing a key role in the fixing of North Melbourne would only enhance it.

X: @barrettdamian

Dildo I know you read this, can I just say, you are such a c@nt…….how many snide clips could you make about North under the guise of an article of “what they could do”.
When we are successful don’t you dare show your face around my footy club ya spectacled fkwit. I seriously hope someone drops you one day. Complete and under garbage from you. Be professional ya whiny little **********.

Dildo I know you read this, can I just say, you are such a c@nt…….how many snide clips could you make about North under the guise of an article of “what they could do”.
When we are successful don’t you dare show your face around my footy club ya spectacled fkwit. I seriously hope someone drops you one day. Complete and under garbage from you. Be professional ya whiny little **********.

I hope he’s wandering around on Night No 5 so he can hear the jeers for his miserable derision of us through these dark years

This is a very well thought through plan although one small issue is that virtually none of our players were born when we won the 1996 premiership so those greats are all dinosaurs to these kids.
Maybe the root cause for the peak and then demise of the Shinboner spirit goes back to these men in this era and they can take the club full circle and reignite the spark? Each of our current players know exactly who these guys are and each one of them is most likely intrigued with the myths surrounding them. Anyways I would enjoy reading some ideas/suggestions other than, let’s wait 5 years or let’s get in Pendlebury. The spirit inside a person can be ignited given the right set of circumstances and quite often the path to the future begins in the past.

You're not wrong. But if they had a greater understanding of what it really means to pull on a North Melbourne jumper every weekend, what those who have done it in the past have endured and achieved, and what it stands for to so many others, maybe that respect would translate into a deeper effort.

But, yeah, maybe there's something on TikTok that gives the vibes of that somewhere. So nah.

Reminds me of the penultimate episode of Lost when Mr Black mused to Jacob that the visitors to the Island that they come, stay and then they leave or words to that affect

In other words players and admin come and go but we’re the ones still here, bemused and horrified at the calamities of the past 8 years

So when Barrett gut punches North, it hurts us more because WE ARE NORTH.

It’s truly heartbreaking. These (all) women deserve better. Why the hell does this keep happening?
😞
Good on the clubs for taking a stand and hopefully the platform can help start something.
I understand the impulse to want to do something, anything, to put a stop to this but I just can't see the public awareness campaign model having any effect. The guys doing this stuff aren't rational people and I doubt the kind of social shaming we use to tackle drunk driving is going to impact them at all.

I think an under-discussed aspect of these murders is that almost invariably they happen in the suburbs. In Australia we have a massive problem with urban density in the sense that there's so many public places with almost no people around most of the time, poor streetlight coverage, and public transport that forces people to walk long distances through unlit streets to get home if they don't have access to a car, which is obviously a massive safety issue for young women and other vulnerable groups. People are less likely to try to attack someone and less likely to get away with it when there's people around who could witness it or potentially intervene, and there's less of a window of vulnerability if you can walk to your apartment from the bus stop on the corner, or the local train station that's 2 minutes away.

An actual concrete thing we could do for women's safety, and honestly everyone's wellbeing on a number of levels is to stop building these sparse suburbs and try to convert at least immediate surrounding suburbs into something resembling inner-city housing. Those places are in really high demand because there's not enough places to live that are like that, and the ones we do have are too expensive (tackling the real estate cartel might also help here). Treat it like an infrastructure issue rather than a social one and we might be able to actually do something real about it. We don't really know how to talk psychos out of wanting to murder women but we know how to build safer public living spaces.

Maybe the root cause for the peak and then demise of the Shinboner spirit goes back to these men in this era and they can take the club full circle and reignite the spark? Each of our current players know exactly who these guys are and each one of them is most likely intrigued with the myths surrounding them. Anyways I would enjoy reading some ideas/suggestions other than, let’s wait 5 years or let’s get in Pendlebury. The spirit inside a person can be ignited given the right set of circumstances and quite often the path to the future begins in the past.

Out coach from 2010-2019 decided to disassociate from the term shinboner spirit. He killed it.

Pendlebury? Pfft, give me Gavin Urquhart any day of the week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Typical fake news s**t. Thats been cut and edited to make it sound like North have no training standards.

After watching it many times I think Clarko is accusing McGuane of some level of confirmation bias. "North are rubbish so I bet they don't train hard" and then going to training watching for it to back up his preexisting view. Even Seven's tweet has some level of that - "Criticism of his team's poor training standards" assumes the training standards are poor. Wouldn't "Criticism of his team's training standards" be enough?

Good call about "Members First" though. How did this content not go to the members first?

After watching it many times I think Clarko is accusing McGuane of some level of confirmation bias. "North are rubbish so I bet they don't train hard" and then going to training watching for it to back up his preexisting view.

Good call about "Members First" though. How did this content not go to the members first?
I think i’ll wait a few hours to see the whole thing before trying to guess the context.

I don’t mind in principle if they preview member content publicly, but it’s very odd to me that the club put this clip out - it doesn’t make much sense, doesn’t answer supporter angst, doesn’t respond to any of the public criticism, and I don’t know what they intended to achieve by it.

I understand the impulse to want to do something, anything, to put a stop to this but I just can't see the public awareness campaign model having any effect. The guys doing this stuff aren't rational people and I doubt the kind of social shaming we use to tackle drunk driving is going to impact them at all.

I think an under-discussed aspect of these murders is that almost invariably they happen in the suburbs. In Australia we have a massive problem with urban density in the sense that there's so many public places with almost no people around most of the time, poor streetlight coverage, and public transport that forces people to walk long distances through unlit streets to get home if they don't have access to a car, which is obviously a massive safety issue for young women and other vulnerable groups. People are less likely to try to attack someone and less likely to get away with it when there's people around who could witness it or potentially intervene, and there's less of a window of vulnerability if you can walk to your apartment from the bus stop on the corner, or the local train station that's 2 minutes away.

An actual concrete thing we could do for women's safety, and honestly everyone's wellbeing on a number of levels is to stop building these sparse suburbs and try to convert at least immediate surrounding suburbs into something resembling inner-city housing. Those places are in really high demand because there's not enough places to live that are like that, and the ones we do have are too expensive (tackling the real estate cartel might also help here). Treat it like an infrastructure issue rather than a social one and we might be able to actually do something real about it. We don't really know how to talk psychos out of wanting to murder women but we know how to build safer public living spaces.
Good take IMO.

I also think to be blunt that outer suburban living - long commutes, high stress, high driving rates and poor social networks 100% contribute to poor health, mental health and social outcomes.

This is a good point. I've seen sparse living work safety wise in other countries, though. The thought of a woman not being able to walk home alone at night in many outer suburban places in the Balkans is absolutely alien to them, but the main difference is they pretty much know the people who live at each of those houses along the way. Our housing crisis has meant that no one really knows their neighbours anymore. Suspicious behaviour goes unreported. Everyone has withdrawn into their own little worlds and shells.

It breaks my heart that we just can't seem to be able to stop this.

I think i’ll wait a few hours to see the whole thing before trying to guess the context.

I don’t mind in principle if they preview member content publicly, but it’s very odd to me that the club put this clip out - it doesn’t make much sense, doesn’t answer supporter angst, doesn’t respond to any of the public criticism, and I don’t know what they intended to achieve by it.
I think he agrees and is having a go at the players in a subtle way.

This era was pretty much ruined by one mans stupidity in March 2002

Doing something is better than doing nothing. And there’s a chance some boys and men are influenced by what football players say is unacceptable to them. So I’m glad the clubs and players want to say something and trust this commitment to drawing a line will run through their recruitment, selection and behaviour management decisions as well.

But this is way past any kind of awareness campaign having an impact on the level of coercion and violence that’s going on and the frequency of it leading to murder. Governments and courts and police need to get serious about orders, bail, jail, and support for victims.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back