Commentators pronunciation of names

Remove this Banner Ad

g-thing

Senior List
May 24, 2006
Alice Springs
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hopefully I'm not repeating something that has previoulsy been discussed but I'd just like to say it irks me when commentators don't even take the time to learn how to pronounce players' names correctly.

My chief gripe concerns Ricky Petterd. Although I don't know whether I am actually correct but I would have thought his surname is pronounced as "Petted" - the second syllable containing a shwa (indeterminate vowel sound). Gerard Whatley yells out "Pet - ard" and puts huge emaphasis on the "ard" part. Does anyone know how Ricky actually says his name?

Danny Frawley calls Shannon Byrnes "Byrne" most of the time.

And is Bruce McAveny correct when he calls Daniel G from Bulldogs - "Gee - arn - sirra - coo - sa"? They used to say "Gee - an - sirra - cuza".

Glen Jakovich assures everyone it is Chris Marsten. Despite there not being an 'r' in his surname.

This is why the english language is a terrible one, and everyone that has studied another language would agree.

Absolutely ZERO consistency between pronunciation of syllables.

How would you pronounce Masken?

Masten could go either way... pronounce the 'a' as in 'apple', or pronounce the 'a' as in 'mask'

and then some people in this country have the nerve to have a go at people trying to learn english, when it is completely inferior in this regard

Mon-tag-na instead of Mon-tan-ya is terrible

Pretty sure when Joey was on the Footy Show recently, he said Mon-tag-na is the 'correct' pronunciation.

My pet hate is the clown who calls Darren Milburn, 'Milbourn' (or 'Milborn', I guess).

Wonder if the players care as much as we do - Joey seemed to indicate he couldn't care less..

Pretty sure when Joey was on the Footy Show recently, he said Mon-tag-na is the 'correct' pronunciation.

My pet hate is the clown who calls Darren Milburn, 'Milbourn' (or 'Milborn', I guess).

Wonder if the players care as much as we do - Joey seemed to indicate he couldn't care less..

other way around...he said his grandparents pronounce it "mon-tan-ya"...but he would prefer "mon-tag-na" or really didn't care either way, as long as they were saying his name...

other way around...he said his grandparents pronounce it "mon-tan-ya"...but he would prefer "mon-tag-na" or really didn't care either way, as long as they were saying his name...

Thanks for the clarification - you nailed what I couldn't quite remember...:thumbsu:

Stewy Jew, grrr that irritates me. Actually, I've found quite a lot of people struggle to push 'D' then 'long u' sound out in Australia.

15 love
15 all
30 15
30 all
30 40
what's next, should be 'deuce', not 'juice'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The two that have annoyed me the most in the last week

Bruce instead of Houlihan saying "Hoolahan" like Who la han

and Brian Taylor calling Nick Suban "Shuban"

The other killer is Russell "Robinson".

Is he related to the kid at the Blues?

Don't know who Russell Robinson is, but there's a moderately successful player at the Dees by the name of R. 'Ro-bert-son' who I've seen out there on more than a few occasions...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back