Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine if Hayne was still at the Titans.

Media especially the Brisbane media would have a field day.
They’d have been relentless in associating it with “the embattled Titans”.
I'd gather the NRL will still play him as he hasnt been found gulity , but the scrunity throughout the season will be huge.

Maybe the GC sporting curse is starting to lift? Matchu
It's possible...

The exact origin of the curse is unknown but various theories have been put forward. One of the more popular theories involves a broken 30-year agreement between the Brisbane Bears and the Albert Shire Council. In early 1989 Bears owner Christopher Skase took out a 30-year lease on Carrara Stadium and just a few short years later the team relocated to Brisbane and broke the agreement. The theory states that the Gold Coast has been cursed for the duration of the 30-year lease that will expire in 2018, the year the city hosts the Commonwealth Games.

If “we” meaning all our sporting teams both present and future stick to the simple principles of developing/keeping local juniors and not bringing in marquee players on above market value pay then we will be fine and the curse will be gone.
That and keeping an eye on local products who don't end up playing for the Gold Coast due to one reason or another. For example, a future Gold Coast Big Bash League team should definitely target a talented local in Billy Stanlake (brother of former Sun Jack Stanlake) who currently plays for the Adelaide Strikers.

That and keeping an eye on local products who don't end up playing for the Gold Coast due to one reason or another. For example, a future Gold Coast Big Bash League team should definitely target a talented local in Billy Stanlake (brother of former Sun Jack Stanlake) who currently plays for the Adelaide Strikers.
played against billy stanlake in junior cricket, and played in the same team as ben mcdermott (henderson). both pretty talented cricketers back in the day, not surprised at all they're getting recognized nationally.

Hey boddsy give me your take on the Titans signings ? To my limited knowledge of game and players they look not to bad for this season . Saw Cartwright sign with titans after getting death threats down in Sydney , this might be a tactic the suns use to get players up here.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My son is in that SAP thing for GC United
I'm never sure about those things but I'd rather he has realistic expectations of maybe playing A-League one day rather than the "Next Ronaldo" lie they are all sold before being turfed at 14yoa o_O
The 100 odd 18yo mummy's boys that get chosen in the AFL draft every year don't know how good they've got it compared to Football
My son wouldn't even blink if he was offered a trial with an EPL team or Serie A or La Liga
But for our "special " children the Gold Coast is too far away from mummy and daddy wah wah wah
Gold Coast City will fold
GC United has a lot of grassroots support that City never had
Knights will succeed at the lower level because they are a strong local team
that's the spirit

Hey boddsy give me your take on the Titans signings ? To my limited knowledge of game and players they look not to bad for this season . Saw Cartwright sign with titans after getting death threats down in Sydney , this might be a tactic the suns use to get players up here.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Im not getting too carried away myself. The new signings are good but not spectacular. One good thing they’ve done is bring back Gordon, Elliot, Hipgrave, Arrow and Whitbread all of whom are local juniors.
Latu and Cartwright are potentially unreal but Brennan needs to find the way to get them focussed and consistent.
If Taylor/LG combine well under Brennan they could have an ok season but I don’t see top 8 happening even if everything goes perfectly.

If Taylor/LG combine well under Brennan they could have an ok season but I don’t see top 8 happening even if everything goes perfectly.
What did you think when Ash Taylor said he thinks he will end up going back to the Broncos in the future but is committed to the Titans for now?

What did you think when Ash Taylor said he thinks he will end up going back to the Broncos in the future but is committed to the Titans for now?

I was appalled and shot off an email to the club the moment I heard it.
I was very critical on the Titans Forum too. A lot of people stuck up for him by saying Ash isn’t the smartest tool in the shed and tries a little too hard to please others.

If any of you have a more than wavering interest in the Titans I recommend the Titans Forum. It doesn’t get trolls like BF does so it has a different dynamic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Titans crowd on Sunday was compromised by train cancellations. I didn't realise until a mate pointed it out last night when I taunted him about crowd sizes. Also didn't know that the Titans are being forced to leave town for 2 months as well, playing in Auckland, Toowoomba, Brisbane, Gladstone, Penrith, Gosford, Townsville, Cronulla, and Canberra. Only 3 of those places are trying to get an NRL Franchise! However, they have 10 total Robina games, so crowd figure comparisons are going to be limited and the overall might already have been won. What my mate is dirty about is that the Suns at least get a major stadium upgrade for the Comm Games anal pain, while the Titans just get a lot of late Winter home ground advantage (if they are still in it).
My mate refuses to support the Suns because he reckons every dollar spent on the AFL is a dollar taken from the NRL. He's a smart guy with an undamaged brain, but it just baffles me that an intelligent person could refuse to support their local team for such a reason.

I have a couple of Aussie mates over here that are dead set NRL followers, and no matter what I try to do to engage them in friendly banter, they will have none of it. To them, AFL doesn't exist so therefore shouldn't be discussed, and I am branded a traitor to the cause, being born a Queenslander, and following "that southern states excuse for sport". To them, the door is firmly shut and unless I want to talk NRL, then I can discuss all things except AFL.

Titans crowd on Sunday was compromised by train cancellations. I didn't realise until a mate pointed it out last night when I taunted him about crowd sizes. Also didn't know that the Titans are being forced to leave town for 2 months as well, playing in Auckland, Toowoomba, Brisbane, Gladstone, Penrith, Gosford, Townsville, Cronulla, and Canberra. Only 3 of those places are trying to get an NRL Franchise! However, they have 10 total Robina games, so crowd figure comparisons are going to be limited and the overall might already have been won. What my mate is dirty about is that the Suns at least get a major stadium upgrade for the Comm Games anal pain, while the Titans just get a lot of late Winter home ground advantage (if they are still in it).
My mate refuses to support the Suns because he reckons every dollar spent on the AFL is a dollar taken from the NRL. He's a smart guy with an undamaged brain, but it just baffles me that an intelligent person could refuse to support their local team for such a reason.

I was there and thought it was an ok crowd, it was a pretty ordinary day and that Issue with the trains would be off putting plus Sunday night wouldn’t be too attractive to people who have early starts at work and some families with the flow on affect of school the next morning.
It still had a great atmosphere and around town at work and at the club people have Been engaging me and wanting to talk about the game.
So of course 10000 is nothing to get excited about but it wasn’t a failure either.

On the flip side to playing them games away from the Gold Coast it will increase the Titans brand awareness

I have a couple of Aussie mates over here that are dead set NRL followers, and no matter what I try to do to engage them in friendly banter, they will have none of it. To them, AFL doesn't exist so therefore shouldn't be discussed, and I am branded a traitor to the cause, being born a Queenslander, and following "that southern states excuse for sport". To them, the door is firmly shut and unless I want to talk NRL, then I can discuss all things except AFL.
Trust me when i say you would get funny looks in certain bars if you wanted to watch AFL when a NRL game is due on at the same time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back