Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:
Hello,
looooog-time viewer and first-time poster.
I was a huge fan of live 11's player ratings (evo nsm).
There was an actual difference in players' attributes somewhat likened to their real-life counterparts at that time.
I remember booting up Evo for the first time and checking all the player's stats and noticed that a lot of the high-rated players all had high-speed ratings.

Oh and historical statistic logging would be suuuuuper sxc.
Yep all the newer games has 80% of the league rated 80 or higher, there needs to be a bigger differential in elite - spud players.

afl 04 was the best just remake it so we don’t have to change the team lineup every match like we did on there & add career mode

If you kicked it out of bounds in 04 the crowd boo’s. What a load of nuffies in the crowd - clear out of bounds was correct decision. What are you boooing.

I can't shake the feeling that it's time for Ross to reveal the officially supported shoelace colours or something. I mean i know the editor will have puce, but will it have light puce.

Ross replied to a tweet not to long ago saying that they are going to get the fans involved before the seasons end! So hopefully something soon??

Thanks for the info. Last time the great man did this (for the sake of conversation let's call him the saviour of afl gaming) he demo'd betas or possibly even gold at some EB stores. Immediately pops into the head.

Side note - the season was over for North in round 3 so us poor bastards and bastardesses are first cab off the rank.

afl 04 was the best just remake it so we don’t have to change the team lineup every match like we did on there & add career mode
04 and AFL PE were crazy good. The first AFL game where you felt you could just keep playing it.

Contentious moment - I would say PE, Live 1 and Evo 2 are the only AFL games that you could genuinely play and still enjoy for longer than a few weeks.

Special mention to the bizarre almost-good game that was AFL 98 PC and Blue Tongue's Finals Fever back in 96 where they appeared to have a genuine crack, surprising all 25 people that played it.

04 and AFL PE were crazy good. The first AFL game where you felt you could just keep playing it.

Contentious moment - I would say PE, Live 1 and Evo 2 are the only AFL games that you could genuinely play and still enjoy for longer than a few weeks.

Special mention to the bizarre almost-good game that was AFL 98 PC and Blue Tongue's Finals Fever back in 96 where they appeared to have a genuine crack, surprising all 25 people that played it.

I gave AFL 98 a real hammering. I remember playing it and recording the gameplay over my shoulder with our old handicam to catch highlights and stuff. I guess I was an offline streamer?

I gave AFL 98 a real hammering. I remember playing it and recording the gameplay over my shoulder with our old handicam to catch highlights and stuff. I guess I was an offline streamer?
******* loved AFL 98 on PC

98 on PC?

So weird that 98 PS1 was 97 PC and 98 PC was a whole new game.

What killed 98 PC for me was the goal scoring, it needed so much more work. But I loved that you could move starting positions around the ground and do things like play two wings on the same etc. The only AFL game to allow that I believe.

98 on PC?

So weird that 98 PS1 was 97 PC and 98 PC was a whole new game.

What killed 98 PC for me was the goal scoring, it needed so much more work. But I loved that you could move starting positions around the ground and do things like play two wings on the same etc. The only AFL game to allow that I believe.

You've got the years mixed up I think. 98 was the first one, only on PC. Then 99 came out on PS1 and PC I believe but I only ever played it on PS1.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've got the years mixed up I think. 98 was the first one, only on PC. Then 99 came out on PS1 and PC I believe but I only ever played it on PS1.
Nice. Exactly that.

98 was based on 97 playing lists but still. Don't know how I forgot that. The one I meant to refer to was AFL 99 PC. That's the one with the nice graphics (with four dynamic shadows for night games!) and promise of a bright future. Then came the poor patch support, the wall and then after the writing.

EA was the publisher, Creative Assembly the UK based developer. They were developing Total War at the time so maybe EA thought 'hey, 36 players!'.

To this day I laugh when people say EA would do a much better job. If they were going to make a $50m profit, sure. Until that day this series needs to be managed as close to home as possible.

For all the expectation I think the big one is continuity. If BA can do a tick tock approach - major release - patch - major release - so there is progress each year then the sky is the limit.

Which one had Robert Harvey on the cover? Played the s**t out of that on PS.
This was the only AFL game with decent marking mechanics. Pressing mark actually made you jump for the ball. You actually felt like you had control of your player in the contest. Also, being able to not run the ball over the line every freakin time it’s near the boundary line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back