Toast Connor Blakely Rd 11 Rising Star Nom

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy to put my hand up and say I had him wrong.

Well deserved and is fast tracking into becoming a very important player for us.

I don't bet and am just posting this cos the bookies have got to play the percentages correctly or go bust.
Lachie Weller is still on $51 but Connor has come in from $51 to $34.I think I agree if that says he's gone past Mr Weller already in terms of overall value to the team.
That likely looking kid Jade Gresham from St Kilda is on the same odds as Connor I think.
Anyway I just love watching the bloke go about it;high ceiling this one.
Hase and Reece Palmer are our previous winners I think.

A couple weeks ago I was wondering how long it would take him to adapt to the pace of AFL. Two weeks is a long time, that's for sure.

Absolute gun, such a Hase clone.

I thought it would take him this season to get use to it and after a preseason we could start to see something.

At his weight he's already trying to free his arms, bust out of tackles and drive through men. I say men, because he's honestly just small.

A couple of pre-seasons and the same attitude and he's on his way to something much larger.

Winning your own ball is a massive ability to have. Cleanest hands I've seen in a long time.

Genuinely very excited by him.

"Cobbler, post: 44909693, member: 154592"]I thought it would take him this season to get use to it and after a preseason we could start to see something.

At his weight he's already trying to free his arms, bust out of tackles and drive through men. I say men, because he's honestly just small.

A couple of pre-seasons and the same attitude and he's on his way to something much larger.

Winning your own ball is a massive ability to have. Cleanest hands I've seen in a long time.

Genuinely very excited by him.

Same, his rate of improvement is scary. Natural footballer and has a terrific temperament too, how he slid to us is a bloody miracle.

I don't bet and am just posting this cos the bookies have got to play the percentages correctly or go bust.
Lachie Weller is still on $51 but Connor has come in from $51 to $34.I think I agree if that says he's gone past Mr Weller already in terms of overall value to the team.
That likely looking kid Jade Gresham from St Kilda is on the same odds as Connor I think.
Anyway I just love watching the bloke go about it;high ceiling this one.
Hase and Reece Palmer are our previous winners I think.
Lachie is paying $81 at quite a few bets but he wasn't a lock to get a nom like Blakely so his odds may not come in as much whereas Blakely was very close to a sure bet for cashout

Just a heads up because it is quite unlikely that Weller and Blakely will actually win the award (vics will hype weitering, petracca or parish)

Well done Connor, he deserved it against Richmond a few weeks back () and has strung together a couple more good games, he gives great effort in the contests. :hearts:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No worries like I said I don't bet on this stuff but betting odds are an indicator.
I'd be fairly happy if I had one of the tickets crew have mentioned like $101 because this bloke is standout material in a competition which is ferocious.He may win a Brownlow is what I'm thinking.
Obviously a bright boy the way he's working it all out and tough as a mallee root.
Inside,outside with vision and watch him improve his left foot delivery.It's the rate of improvement that's the real indicator.
Turbo is what I'd call him.
Hase was a favourite of mine but I think this fella has him covered.

Love the way he backs himself to hit the tackler hard and still get away the handball, taking an opposition player out of the picture

Serious question......

Why did he drop to pick 34?

It's a bloody hard gig to be recognised in the first place. You could argue Neale and a host of others why did they slide.

Some see certain attributes and rank that in terms of importance.

I didn't see it, but could on our recruiters for seeing something.

I honestly just thought he was possibly the best local talent available. Early days, but he looks solid.

Bravo Blakely, he is looking like becoming a gun. I for one am glad Ross has made him do his apprenticeship before gifting him a game, it's now paying immediate dividends.

He's been very good at developing youth when we have no chance at making finals.

Previously to this year he was terrible at it, stop trying to pretend otherwise.

We give them a game when they're ready to blossom, not before. It's no coincidence that AP, Weller, Blakely, Langdon and Collins have all come in and adapted quickly. They were made to earn it and were selected when they were ready. Blakely said as much.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2016-06-01/youngster-thankful-for-wafl-appreticeship-

While he’s strung together back-to-back games of more than 20 disposals at the AFL level, when asked whether he could have achieved this without experience at the state level, Blakely was quick to respond.

“Definitely not,” he said.

“I had the mentality of wanting to build my form in the WAFL and I played in the team last year and got plenty of experience.”

Blakely said his time at the WAFL level allowed him to adjust to the demands of professional football and build a case for senior selection.

“You learn the game plan in the first year and it’s sort of like an apprenticeship in a way,” he said.

“You build into form, find your feet, work out the ins and outs of the AFL, and (find out) how hard you have to work to get a game.

“At Freo you don’t get gifted a game straight away, you learn how to be disciplined and keep persisting and eventually it will come if you work hard.”

Bravo Blakely, he is looking like becoming a gun. I for one am glad Ross has made him do his apprenticeship before gifting him a game, it's now paying immediate dividends.

We give them a game when they're ready to blossom, not before.

Taberner was nominated for the rising star in 2014 then dropped 10 times in 2015. Then brought back for the prelim when the match committee finally realised they needed a 2nd key forward. That's terrible development, and he's not the only one.

You're right it's not a coincidence that our kids have improved now that they've been given opportunities. Just maybe they should have been given opportunities earlier instead of certified spuds that showed little over 100 games.

Your quote is just fluff. No player is going to come out and say "the club should have played me earlier", are they?

His speed of seperation from the contest was first class against Essendon.
That was what stuck out from his pre-draft highlights vid from memory. Lateral movement out of a contest/stoppage was elite.

Hopefully the last few weeks is an indication it will translate into the top level and be a weapon for our midfield. Long way to go but love the way he goes about it. He's a bull.

Great stuff Connor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back