Corona virus and other pestilences. Poxes ‘n stuff. Part 6.

Remove this Banner Ad

At the risk of being bullied by overweight middle aged bookkeepers, this covid thing sucks.

I am now on day 11, but the fatigue, congestion and general feeling crud hasn't really changed much for the past 5-6 days. A couple of days ago I was able to mow the lawn but it zonked me out pretty good afterward. Went into work this morning masked up but just ended up grabbing my laptop so I can WFH + sick leave when needed.

I'm not really concerned about long covid at this stage, just hoping I can shake this thing off pretty soon. Under 40, 3 jabs and pretty active (or was).

the land before time raspberries GIF

Hey Papa G

Nurse and former Crows player Deni Varnhagen has had her final appeal against SA vaccination mandates dismissed, leaving her with a $70k legal bill to cover the SA Government legal costs (in addition to her own legal team's bills).

Last edited:
Nurse and former Crows player Deni Varnhagen has had her final appeal against SA vaccination mandates dismissed, leaving her with a $70k legal bill to cover the SA Government legal costs (in addition to her own legal team's bills).

There is a strong chance that vaccination mandates will be dropped in the healthcare sector. She probably would have been better off just waiting.

While there is merit on both sides of the story, time will tell how how other legal issues work out.

Not long ago a New York judge ruled in favour of unvaccinated workers receiving back pay. I suspect that this might become the norm

There is a strong chance that vaccination mandates will be dropped in the healthcare sector. She probably would have been better off just waiting.

While there is merit on both sides of the story, time will tell how how other legal issues work out.
The thing is the mandates she was taking legal action against WERE dropped.

And yet she continued her claim and went back AGAIN for an appeal.

It's hard to conclude anything other than this was a grab for media attention.

She's lost a s**t load of money, credibility and a stain on her professional career for what many people and future employers will see as political grandstanding.

All credit to individuals standing up against authority but this seems poorly thought out from the get go. I hope her bills are being covered by the crowd who pushed her to court.

I wonder if Tredders has being following the Varnhagen case?

Varnhagen sued the SA Government while Tredrea is suing a private corporation so there maybe a difference. Then again maybe the matter has been settled out of court?
Yeah there is a difference. Varnhagen took action against the SA Government over the validity of their covid mandates. Tredrea is taking action against his employer (Nine Entertainment) for unfair dismissal and breach of his employment contract in the Federal Court. He made an additional claim for damages as part of that action which is not scheduled to be heard until next year - but it won't get that far.

His lawyer has said he expected the matter to be resolved by mediation.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah there is a difference. Varnhagen took action against the SA Government over the validity of their covid mandates. Tredrea is taking action against his employer (Nine Entertainment) for unfair dismissal and breach of his employment contract in the Federal Court. He made an additional claim for damages as part of that action which is not scheduled to be heard until next year - but it won't get that far.

His lawyer has said he expected the matter to be resolved by mediation.

Sounds like a settlement. Big business can't afford to lose. A loss in court would set a precedent that would be enough of a financial threat to sink them.

Hospitals don't seem to have a problem sending covid+ patients back to RACFs. These residents are contracting it in hospital and are being sent back to nursing homes.

Last edited:
There is a strong chance that vaccination mandates will be dropped in the healthcare sector.

Nope.

A new vaccination policy that comes into effect for SA Health staff today requires everyone working in patient areas to get vaccinated for COVID-19. The new policy was developed and introduced with the input and support of the overwhelming majority of the SA Health workforce.

Last edited:
A new vaccination policy that comes into effect for SA Health staff today requires everyone working in patient areas to get vaccinated for COVID-19. The new policy was developed and introduced with the input and support of the overwhelming majority of the SA Health workforce.

Ah well, Deni, a new career beckons.

Nope.

Interesting if SA Health stick to the course if the current staff exodus continues.

Something concerning appears to happening overseas with paediatric hospitalisations.
In Ontario paediatric doctors, ICU’s and ERs overwhelmed.
In Alberta massive issues in paediatric health.
Covid RSV

Alberta and Ontario paediatric admissionas and ICUs overwhelmed and now this.

Interesting if SA Health stick to the course if the current staff exodus continues.
You know that HCW have always had mandated vaccines don’t you?
So now you have moved on from masking causing the massive exodus of HCW for which there is no evidence apart from what you say has happened in your own little Residential Care unit to vaccine mandates causing the mass exodus.
Okay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back