News Coronavirus Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouncey2franklin
I'm not disputing the significance of the consequences of this 'coronavirus pandemic'.

This is the biggest thing to happen since 9/11. Arguably bigger. We are now living in unprecedented times.

It is the supposed disease itself, and the proclamations of mass death on the horizon, that I am calling hyperbole.

I'm not disputing the significance of the consequences of this 'coronavirus pandemic'.

This is the biggest thing to happen since 9/11. Arguably bigger. We are now living in unprecedented times.

It is the supposed disease itself, and the proclamations of mass death on the horizon, that I am calling hyperbole.

Mate... the figures thus far are 2% mortality.

That may not sound like much, but when you have an infection rate that leads to much of the population being affected, then 2% suddenly means big numbers. Not to mention that a high infection rate can overload the healthcare system leading to people in for all sorts of other illnesses dying from not receiving appropriate healthcare soon enough.

All of you are stocking up on TP and pasta when all you need to do is drink cow piss..

People lined up for their share of cow urine being poured from kettles into ‘kulhads’, at a ‘gaumutra party’ (cow urine party) here organised by Swami Chakrapani, the president of the Akhil Bharat Hindu Mahasabha.

We still talk about the 1919 flu epidemic as a serious nightmare. This could be as bad or worse.

It's not the Black Death or Captain Tripps but in Italy doctors have been doing emergency triage and letting people die for lack of resources for nearly a week.

But even if it is hyperbole...

We've never had a situation where our medical system couldn't cope. If the media freak people out enough with hyperbole then it actually works in favour of controlling the spread of the virus. The thing about why Italy is so bad is that didn't freak out when it started getting sketchy. People went about their normal lives and the virus spread was unchecked.

Mate... the figures thus far are 2% mortality.

That may not sound like much, but when you have an infection rate that leads to much of the population being affected, then 2% suddenly means big numbers. Not to mention that a high infection rate can overload the healthcare system leading to people in for all sorts of other illnesses dying from not receiving appropriate healthcare soon enough.
I believe the model done by Johns Hopkins is about .5 or .6 vs .1 in a normal flu season.

All of you are stocking up on TP and pasta when all you need to do is drink cow piss..

People lined up for their share of cow urine being poured from kettles into ‘kulhads’, at a ‘gaumutra party’ (cow urine party) here organised by Swami Chakrapani, the president of the Akhil Bharat Hindu Mahasabha.

Quick, get some for Peter Dutton.

Cake then!

With toilet paper???

I've been on the treadmill because they'll eat the fat people first.

Oh flipping great. Do I jump on the treadmill or just sit happily in the knowledge that one of my legs could probably feed the family for a month?

We still talk about the 1919 flu epidemic as a serious nightmare. This could be as bad or worse.

It's not the Black Death or Captain Tripps but in Italy doctors have been doing emergency triage and letting people die for lack of resources for nearly a week.

But even if it is hyperbole...

We've never had a situation where our medical system couldn't cope. If the media freak people out enough with hyperbole then it actually works in favour of controlling the spread of the virus. The thing about why Italy is so bad is that didn't freak out when it started getting sketchy. People went about their normal lives and the virus spread was unchecked.

We need to freak people out just enough to isolate (but not too much as we actually probably need people to get it and recover), but not enough that healthy people clog the medical system and panic buy food.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely just takin' the piss ?

I believe the model done by Johns Hopkins is about .5 or .6 vs .1 in a normal flu season.
Current mortality rate is currently 3.8% but thats for reported cases only. More likely it is around 1 - 1.5%

Italy is at like D+14 since human to human transmission.

Most major cities are following the same trend as Italy, some are exceeding them, like Spain.

We are only at like +4 or +5.

It has generally exploded in most countries from the point at which we are at now.

Yeah one thing in our favour is there will be no surprises, so hopefully we're more prepared for what's coming. Well be interesting viewing, seems oh so quiet and relaxed in the hills currently.

Day 2 of no sports (on TV)

Found a young woman sitting on my couch. Apparently she's my wife. She seems nice.
Some days I think about my failed relationships and feel a tinge of sadness.
Then I think about being isolated for weeks on end with the ex and thank **** we got out of each other's lives.

Everyone take care out there. Especially those about to be exposed without escape to binge watching of Friends and Dawson's Creek

We need to freak people out just enough to isolate (but not too much as we actually probably need people to get it and recover), but not enough that healthy people clog the medical system and panic buy food.

It's a fine line with this stuff. Hopefully everyone that panicked over nothing is feeling dumb but not blasé.

That said we've stocked up. Well keep shopping normally tho, a bit less maybe but at least twice a week.

The reality is if one of us gets it we'll all isolate here unless we need medical support, so we need enough food etc to ride it out. If we're unlucky and lung failure comes on as quickly as it has in some cases we might not make the hospital in time.

But I dunno how else to handle it.

This house has one bathroom, only one room that is effectively isolatable and there isn't anyone else for at least a km in any direction usually.

I'm 50, the missus is in her mid 40s so we're at the edge of the serious risk group but what else can we do? The kids can't stay with anyone else cos by the time we know we've got it they'll be exposed too and they can't handle not being hugged regularly.

I just hope if we get it it's a mild dose and confers immunity.

I do a bit of work with dudes in Spain and the situation there varies from location to location, with Madrid being the hot spot, specifically Piamonte, which apparently Wuhan like at the minute. Due to the older population in Spain, 30% of cases require hospitalisation, with 10% critical. That's roughly 2,500 hospital cases, with ~800 critical, so 3,300 beds taken up. Total lock down around the corner.

It highlights the need to stay on top of this and for peeps to stay home if possible. Thankfully the CBD is noticeably quieter today and my work has cancelled a shit load of events and engagements, with full shut down to come in the next few days if rumours are to be believed.

Can I ask where your figures came from, as I said latest model from Johns Hopkins information to capital hill is .5/.6
not testing is the problem..

https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/03/06/covid-19-coronavirus-expert-testimony-to-congress/

We've all stayed home today after one of the kids showed some extremely mild cold- like symptoms.

I called the hotline and was on hold for 94 minutes.

One of the questions I was asked was "Is your concern heightened by the publicity around coronavirus?"

Bloody hell if this was a month ago I'd have kicked his arse for whinging and sent him to school.

Anyway I was assured that he isn't in a condition that currently places him at a likelihood of having Covid19, so I guess it's back to work tomorrow.

Thoroughly enjoying today though, I'm not gonna lie.

It's a fine line with this stuff. Hopefully everyone that panicked over nothing is feeling dumb but not blasé.

That said we've stocked up. Well keep shopping normally tho, a bit less maybe but at least twice a week.

The reality is if one of us gets it we'll all isolate here unless we need medical support, so we need enough food etc to ride it out. If we're unlucky and lung failure comes on as quickly as it has in some cases we might not make the hospital in time.

But I dunno how else to handle it.

This house has one bathroom, only one room that is effectively isolatable and there isn't anyone else for at least a km in any direction usually.

I'm 50, the missus is in her mid 40s so we're at the edge of the serious risk group but what else can we do? The kids can't stay with anyone else cos by the time we know we've got it they'll be exposed too and they can't handle not being hugged regularly.

I just hope if we get it it's a mild dose and confers immunity.

Just me & the wife Ferball but I hope you get though this no problem though, that last bit just means you have to give em a few extra from the two of you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back