Discussion Coronavirus

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course they can, and there won't be any issues if they do. It's not a good look, but it won't cause the hyper inflation many believe it would.
Its called quantitative easing and Treasury is doing exactly that.

In the USA they are calling it QE Infinity. Money is an economic construct.

I have faith in Andrews as well. If it was albo doing exactly this I would have faith in him. I don’t care about anything to do with trump as any example. The guy is a maniac. I still have no idea what you think they are doing wrong. It may end up a disaster but I can only go on the current and when compared to most other countries I think we are doing very well.
I think Morrison is doing as well as anyone would, same with Andrews, however the funding for CSIRO and pandemic preparation should not have been scrapped.
Will be time for finger pointing when we get through this.

FWIW. Morrison jumped on this early, has set up a bi partisan national cabinet 4 Liberals, 5 Labor, has been on the mark re following the experts and called the pandemic weeks before the WHO.

He had some mixed messages but not for a couple of weeks.
The message has been heeded and up to 90% are social distancing. Modelling suggests 4 to 6 weeks at that rate and we have minimal infections.

The govts and the Australian people need to be credited....so far.

I think Morrison is doing as well as anyone would, same with Andrews, however the funding for CSIRO and pandemic preparation should not have been scrapped.

FWIW. Morrison jumped on this early, has set up a bi partisan national cabinet 4 Liberals, 5 Labor, has been on the mark re following the experts and called the pandemic weeks before the WHO.

The message has been heeded and up to 90% are social distancing. Modelling suggests 4 to 6 weeks at that rate and we have minimal infections.

Agree. So far. We need to hope they have it right.

But at the moment we're isolating everyone. I don't believe that Singapore & Japan have shut down to our extent. Sweden have done nothing at all.

My point is that we are making decisions based on flawed projections. Unfortunately, that's largely due to Chinese secrecy. I really don't think we're going to run out of ICU beds. It is the fear of not having enough ICU beds that has us in lockdown.
Sweden had 50 Covid19 related deaths yesterday. That's a death rate of 35/1,000,000 as compared to Australia's less than 1/1,000,000. They did implement physical distancing, ban gatherings of 50 or more, and encouraged people to work from home. But they have not put official restrictions on movement. It seems like they are gambling on protecting the economy first, and the medical system second. They have placed great trust in the populace to voluntarily do the right thing to prevent the spread of the virus.

Their smaller neighbours, Denmark and Norway, took a different approach by going into early lock down. It will be fascinating to see what the data is like across those 3 countries in the next few weeks.

1585976502229.png

I think it is fair to say though the response in Sweden is tightening. They have just advised against non-essential travel to every country. I'll bet my bottom dollar that if the numbers continue to climb closed borders will follow, and a stay at home instruction will follow in some form.

That’s your opinion obviously. If everything was as bad as you say I’m doubting there would only be 30 deaths. Of course it’s not political Just out of interest what are they doing wrong?

My dad went to the Alfred on Monday with breathing difficulties. He was worried he had CV, they ran some tests on his lungs and heart and sent him home. He got sicker got an ambulance back in the middle of the night and was sent to the Cardio ward. He ended up with 2 stents after getting out yesterday morning. No-one tested him once for CV despite having symptoms. They said they couldn't afford to waste test so have extremely tight rules for giving them out. They didn't have masks for any nurses there and you could walk through the front lobby and use hand sanitiser but not anything else as a precaution to get into the ward (no one policed it). He was limited to 1 visitor a day but they let me stop in to drop stuff off despite his wife being with him. I don't know for sure that he has or had it that bought on a heart issue but I think it's pretty likely.

By the end of the week they had some bad publicity and got stricter and closed up hours for visitors. My sister in law who works in a public hospital said that this is the best time to have an issue because they are fully staffed and still waiting for the tsunami of cases coming in. He's all good now and at home recovering but it gave us a peak inside the hospital system. They are gearing up for it to hit hard at some point. We might just be in the calm before the storm.

I have faith in Andrews as well. If it was albo doing exactly this I would have faith in him. I don’t care about anything to do with trump as any example. The guy is a maniac. I still have no idea what you think they are doing wrong. It may end up a disaster but I can only go on the current and when compared to most other countries I think we are doing very well.

To put it simply - The one big mass failing in regards to arrivals via ship and air. Should have been far more scrutiny on all arrivals.

The much vaunted Border Force has failed

My dad went to the Alfred on Monday with breathing difficulties. He was worried he had CV, they ran some tests on his lungs and heart and sent him home. He got sicker got an ambulance back in the middle of the night and was sent to the Cardio ward. He ended up with 2 stents after getting out yesterday morning. No-one tested him once for CV despite having symptoms. They said they couldn't afford to waste test so have extremely tight rules for giving them out. They didn't have masks for any nurses there and you could walk through the front lobby and use hand sanitiser but not anything else as a precaution to get into the ward (no one policed it). He was limited to 1 visitor a day but they let me stop in to drop stuff off despite his wife being with him. I don't know for sure that he has or had it that bought on a heart issue but I think it's pretty likely.

By the end of the week they had some bad publicity and got stricter and closed up hours for visitors. My sister in law who works in a public hospital said that this is the best time to have an issue because they are fully staffed and still waiting for the tsunami of cases coming in. He's all good now and at home recovering but it gave us a peak inside the hospital system. They are gearing up for it to hit hard at some point. We might just be in the calm before the storm.

Hope ok mate - priorities.

I think the federal government has been a bit slow and left too much to individual states. I have friends in business in NSW, they are still open but not selling anything because the state is open for business and have not closed schools. The states have largely self isolated themselves with Tas, WA and SA all going in pretty hard early. NSW is not locking down hard enough and were one of the earliest hit and a real area of concern early. We probably don't know how well we have done until the aftermath. I think Morrison has been better than he was in the fires but that's just because he hasn't ****ed anything up too majorly so far, well apart from the cruise ships. Handballing over to panels and suspending parliament might be his greatest act though, not having politicians making decisions in a time of crisis could be a masterstroke.

It may be and it may be not. I don’t understand the point of thinking the worst but hey if you want to then go for it. I’m hoping we are doing it right. Hope your dad is ok. I can honestly say if my dad gets cv he will last one night at the most so I’m obviously hoping what they are doing is the best thing.

Hope your Dad makes a speedy recovery

To put it simply - The one big mass failing in regards to arrivals via ship and air. Should have been far more scrutiny on all arrivals.

The much vaunted Border Force has failed
Agreed. Actually said that. I think both nsw and federal know that was handled poorly. Have a feeling nearly every country in the world can find faults in a once in century virus. If that’s the worst thing that happens we are doing friggin well.

Hope ok mate - priorities.

Yeah, he's in good spirits and seems like he's back to normal. He's always been super fit and healthy so more shocked than anything. He's never had to be on medication for anything and they have him on 8 tablets a day and regular GP visits for the rest of his life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It may be and it may be not. I don’t understand the point of thinking the worst but hey if you want to then go for it. I’m hoping we are doing it right. Hope your dad is ok. I can honestly say if my dad gets cv he will last one night at the most so I’m obviously hoping what they are doing is the best thing.

They look like they don't believe the worst is over is my point. They are actually getting prepared for it to get much worse.

They look like they don't believe the worst is over is my point. They are actually getting prepared for it to get much worse.
Prepare for the worst hope for the best

I think you have to send negative messages otherwise people will just say it isn’t serious and go back to how it was. Well that’s what I’m hoping and thinking.

I think you have to send negative messages otherwise people will just say it isn’t serious and go back to how it was. Well that’s what I’m hoping and thinking.
They are preparing for worst case. By now we were looking at 10k cases we have half that.

They are preparing for worst case. By now we were looking at 10k cases we have half that.

The Alfred were smashing through surgeries. Someone told my old man that he could have been waiting for months if he'd timed it badly.

Agreed. Actually said that. I think both nsw and federal know that was handled poorly. Have a feeling nearly every country in the world can find faults in a once in century virus. If that’s the worst thing that happens we are doing friggin well.

Fair to say that no matter which political persuasion was in power at any given level, some mistakes would be made. On the whole, I think we're mostly doing things well, given that they're trying to err on the side of caution.

I'd rather we overdo it a bit, than become the litmus test for letting it get completely out of control on an island :)

A really good source of Australian data.

Second page is testing comparisons

Yeah, he's in good spirits and seems like he's back to normal. He's always been super fit and healthy so more shocked than anything. He's never had to be on medication for anything and they have him on 8 tablets a day and regular GP visits for the rest of his life.

Lost my dad a couple of years ago, just had a fight with my wife as she had moved his ashes from the main room into my shoe cupboard!! They have been moved back.

I miss the ol bastard

Thing I miss is actually spending time with him (and my kids) - we would go to the footy together both local and when Tas had a VFL team I'd take him along. He grew up in the same suburb I now live in, it used to be a real working class place with the brewery, tannery, blunstone factory when he was growing up - as my brother points out it is now full of hipsters / yuppies (which I would not classify myself as) but I do still like being here as I feel close to him...not where I grew up but where he did.

He was of Irish heritage, used to box when young, always backed the underdog (probably why I support the Saints) and always had my back. He had a heap of flaws but that's who he was.

Spend time with your ol man even if he gives you the shits at times - it ain't for ever.

Last edited:

Speedy recovery to your Dad. What a shock.

From what I know from a close friend who had one stent (aged 46 - fit and with no underlying issue bar cholesterol) is that although it will take time he should recover fully and get back to normal. “Lucky” he has this enforced time to recover at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back