Couch to 5k program

Remove this Banner Ad

Wormkilla

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
Hello all, I'm 40 years old and weigh 87kg, I have lost 10kg since July this year purely from diet alone. My aim is to get down to 85kg by 1 April 2024.

I've recently started running, and am following the Couch to 5k program via an app. I've never been able to run for long distances. I've always been terrible at it. Even when I was in my fitness "prime" in my early 20's playing footy, endurance never came to me naturally. Rather I'd rely on short, sharp bursts and get towelled up by fitter opponents.

I'm a few sessions into my program and am really enjoying it. It starts off quite gradual (run 1 minute, walk 1.5 minutes), but even these early sessions had me panting lol.

Any other newbie runners out there?

I tried the C25k years ago when I was first trying to get into running.

I tried this version and I never actually finished it, because when I got to that last session of week 5 it just wrecked me. I was exactly the sort of unfit couch potato it was aimed at and that increase to 3.2km straight from 1.2km runs was just way too big of a jump in one hit.

Of course back then I had no idea about the concept of 'running slower to get faster' and I was probably pushing way too hard.

Years later when I got back into running properly I had great success just by going for a run 3 times a week increasing by one minute each session - and most importantly running as slow as possible to build my capacity. By doing that I very gradually built up from a 10 minute run to 45 minutes over the course of months.

Nowadays though I cap my long runs at 30 mins and just focus on increasing distance, while doing a lot more higher intensity MAS style running on other days.

I tried the C25k years ago when I was first trying to get into running.

I tried this version and I never actually finished it, because when I got to that last session of week 5 it just wrecked me. I was exactly the sort of unfit couch potato it was aimed at and that increase to 3.2km straight from 1.2km runs was just way too big of a jump in one hit.

Of course back then I had no idea about the concept of 'running slower to get faster' and I was probably pushing way too hard.

Years later when I got back into running properly I had great success just by going for a run 3 times a week increasing by one minute each session - and most importantly running as slow as possible to build my capacity. By doing that I very gradually built up from a 10 minute run to 45 minutes over the course of months.

Nowadays though I cap my long runs at 30 mins and just focus on increasing distance, while doing a lot more higher intensity MAS style running on other days.

Reading it I'd say having the distance listed is the killer, looking at the time progression alone seems much more sensible than the distances.

3.2km in 20 mins for someone coming from no running background is a pretty steady pace. I think the whole program is premised on 30 minutes running = 5 km which probably means you're running too fast for a lot of the stuff for a beginner.

https://melbournemarathon.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/NIKE5KTP.pdf that's another option with a bit more variety and includes pace charts for comparison; so for someone aiming for a 30min 5km their easy (recovery) running is up around the 7:10 / km pace.

The bolded is the key IMO, you pretty much can't run too slow as you build up, if you think you're running too fast then you are, slow down. Best description I've read was that it should feel 'uncomfortably slow'.

Edit: for further progression this one from reddit is a very good, simple resource to see where to go with it

Reading it I'd say having the distance listed is the killer, looking at the time progression alone seems much more sensible than the distances.

3.2km in 20 mins for someone coming from no running background is a pretty steady pace. I think the whole program is premised on 30 minutes running = 5 km which probably means you're running too fast for a lot of the stuff for a beginner.

https://melbournemarathon.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/NIKE5KTP.pdf that's another option with a bit more variety and includes pace charts for comparison; so for someone aiming for a 30min 5km their easy (recovery) running is up around the 7:10 / km pace.

The bolded is the key IMO, you pretty much can't run too slow as you build up, if you think you're running too fast then you are, slow down. Best description I've read was that it should feel 'uncomfortably slow'.

Edit: for further progression this one from reddit is a very good, simple resource to see where to go with it

Went for another run tonight and yeh I’m finding the idea of “running slower” hard to get my head around. It feels like my natural cadence is to run quicker (but burn out quicker) and that to slow it up actually makes me sorer and seizes me up. But I can see my legs becoming more conditioned to it as I get used to it.

It feels like my natural cadence is to run quicker (but burn out quicker)

Yeah bolded is exactly what you want to avoid.

Trying to run too fast means you burn out before you can get in the volume you need to make you better at running in the long term.

Run slow (really slow) and build the km's in your legs. Once you build the km's the adaptations will come which will make running easier and faster.

Went for another run tonight and yeh I’m finding the idea of “running slower” hard to get my head around. It feels like my natural cadence is to run quicker (but burn out quicker) and that to slow it up actually makes me sorer and seizes me up. But I can see my legs becoming more conditioned to it as I get used to it.

It definitely takes practice to run slow. Try not to take big long slow steps either, you want to have a nice smooth quick cadence which means shortening up those steps when you're going slower which should help a little with the impact. Also try to mix up the surface you're running on if you're just running on asphalt / concrete, hard packed gravel or grass is a nice changeup for the legs if you've got something nearby.

Up to week 5 of the program now. Up to 3 x 6 minute running intervals. The program is really motivating. Never thought I’d be actually keen to go for a run before and better my last time out. Did a seperate trial today to see how fast I could actually run 1km. 5 minutes 30 secs. 🤪

Up to week 7 now. Ran 15 mins, 3 min walk then 5 mins today for 4km total. In South Island of New Zealand on holidays and have been trying to fit in a run most days. The scenery is unbelievable on the tracks everywhere. Loving this program.

IMG_8457.JPG

Up to week 5 of the program now. Up to 3 x 6 minute running intervals. The program is really motivating. Never thought I’d be actually keen to go for a run before and better my last time out. Did a seperate trial today to see how fast I could actually run 1km. 5 minutes 30 secs. 🤪

Nothing wrong with that time mate.

Finished the program on the last day of my holiday in Wellington. 39 days. Now onto 10k’s. Loving running. It’s literally vaporised my previously unhealthy obsession with golf overnight lol. Picked up some lateral knee pain running this morning so need to back off for maybe a few days. IT band I’m pretty sure.

There is a device that I thought was quackery when I heard about it, I cannot remember the name but it is a percussive therapy that sends very tiny bursts through your soft tissue under the nose of the handle - sounds like a massage gun I thought, not worth spending money for something I can do to myself at home right?

Wrong. This this turned my steel rope IT bands into rubber bands again, loosened me up like I'd been interchanging between being in a hot spring and a massage table all day.

Ask your physio if they have one, I know there's one at the HBF Arena physio too so maybe try there if you need to.

It goes tick-tick-tick-tick not bbvvvvvvvvvvvvrrrrr.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back