Could or Should They be trialled in alternative roles?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton

Pickett into the back-line.
Smedts forward or nothing.

Hardly career saving but that's all I have.

Pickett will be fine

Geelong fans got frustrated that Smedts wasn't played in the forward line. Not sure why we aren't either.

Murphy to a forward pocket. Will extend his career and help fast track the next generation of midfielders

I think Jaksch has been tried in every position. :( There was that one 3-ruck game that Kreuzer spent a half in defense.

Buckley - centre square, handball receives from Cripps - 55m mongrel punts into the arms of Casboult leading out of the goalsquare
White - forward pocket, has played a handful of games up there
Sumner - tagger, channel that mongrel
Plowman - wing, give him the freedom
Williamson - Beauy 2.0 - Can imagine him kicking 8 in a half against Collingwood some day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think we have many players that their roles can be changed.

I hope Cuningham Fisher etc can stand up and release Murphy forward
Rowe may come back as a back up ruck/forward
Wright as a small defender? Consistency is his issue but a very good ball user and tough.
Macreadie as a key forward even for development?
Still want to see Charlie in the midfield. Very special.

A lot will depend on recruiting and trades but I see our back line as having depth, our midfield needing more depth and class and our forward line as young but with potential. I just don't see any more Liam Jones on our list

Last edited:
The one I really want to see is Sheehan up forward. He's got the frame and strength to trouble plenty of defenders, and is a good long kick who poses a threat from 50m.

Simmo, Doc, Byrne and Willo might make it tough for him to hold a spot at half back, but I suspect he'd add some real grunt to our young forward line.

The one I really want to see is Sheehan up forward. He's got the frame and strength to trouble plenty of defenders, and is a good long kick who poses a threat from 50m.

Simmo, Doc, Byrne and Willo might make it tough for him to hold a spot at half back, but I suspect he'd add some real grunt to our young forward line.

Was a forward in Ireland IIRC.

Same with Byrne but the transition to learn the game stems from the backline.

Like to see Gussy do well. Sounds like he'll be around next year too.

I like the idea but he doesn't strike me as the right body type in a traditional sense. He is solid, but not quite tall enough to make that work well. He is short enough to be a mid/small forward, but is too solid and not agile enough to be super effective there. Could be wrong of course, and even if I am right, who's to say he wouldn't smash the old template to bits and play really well up there anyway?

We've already got plenty of players who can play two roles at some level, the trick now is to find out who has the endurance to play certain roles within our system.

Was a forward in Ireland IIRC.

Same with Byrne but the transition to learn the game stems from the backline.

Like to see Gussy do well. Sounds like he'll be around next year too.
Pretty sure both Byrne and Sheehan started in the VFL from HF, before rotating into defence. The game has also changed in terms of where you want your accurate and penetrating kicks (HF to now HB).

ShanDog has it right that what agility Sheehan had has failed him, and we have to wait and see what Byrne recoups post-ACL.

He's done. VFL form is hardly up to the standard required for that level unfortunately, he was playing along half back this week as well.
Yeah can't see him coming back. There would have to be some injury or personal reasons his form has dropped off so much for that to happen. Almost like resetting.

Yeah can't see him coming back. There would have to be some injury or personal reasons his form has dropped off so much for that to happen. Almost like resetting.
Think he's just involved with other things now - doesn't take much less preparation to drop off that much I reckon. Other things being coaching I think and hope. He's a good guy and reckon he'd be a reasonable coach too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back