Covers

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please Mr Postman.
The Marveletts from 1961.
This was the very first No.1 song for Motown. With the "Funk Brothers" who played as the session band on almost every Motown backing recording from 1959 until 1972. This song has Marvin Gaye on drums.

In 1963 it was covered by none other than the Beatles.

In 1975 it again became a number 1 hit, this time for the Carpenters. With Karen's vocals and Richard's arrangement this is my favourite, but all of them are terrific to listen to.

While I'm on the Carpenters have a listen to this cover by Tori Holub.
Carpenters

Tori Holub with a remarkably similar voice. Have a listen to both and compare.

The Flamin' Groovies - maybe the ultimate 60's style retro band trying to emulate their idols (mostly the Beatles and Stones), but here they recorded a fairly contemporaneous version of Warren Zevon's "Werewolves of London"

Under Skys - Lazy Smoke. 1968.

The collector dudes that complied the encyclopedia of obscure 1960's music (I forget the name of it) list the Lazy Smoke album "Corridor of Faces" as one of the great lost psych albums of the era. There's a bit of Lennon in the vocals without anything matching the lyrical content of late period Beatles. A pleasant listen all the same.

Recently covered by Dean Wareham (ex Luna, Galaxie 500) from his album "I Have Nothing To Say To The Mayor of L.A."

Last edited:
Couple of alternative Motown versions of the Jackson 5 hit: "I Want You Back"

David Ruffin's Version:

and Martha Reeves & The Vandellas:

Maybe not exactly a cover :think: Tom Petty wrote it for Lone Justice and never released his own version. Mike Campbell co-wrote it and is playing it live these days.

This just popped into the suggestions scroll. I listened to it a lot back in the day. Cute chick, everyone thought they would be big. Stevie Ray played with them. But flared out. Kind of fun seeing all the 80s rock in the scroll. ;)

Two Ohio punk bands from the 1990's

Thomas Jefferson Slave Apartments - "Cheater's Heaven"

and covered by Gaunt. (upload to youtube has some sound suppression)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back