Certified Legendary Thread Covid, Life, UFOs, Food, & Wordle :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there's any chance the season will get anywhere close to finishing.

Best case scenario we get over this virus by October/November, right when the cricket world cup starts and takes all the football stadiums... And then we need to fit in 16 rounds + finals into October November December with grounds that have cricket pitches..

Who knows really, although the AFL will find venues if required..... and they dont have to be stadiums because they only need to play the game. They would play the grand final at docklands or the WACA or footy park in adelaide or the old olympic stadium in sydney or even at a suburban ground if they can put in a few towers for the foxtel cameras. The question is whether the players will be up and running. Maybe the question will even more basic than that.

Agree but its early days. With us being behind a lot of countries we may have learned our lesson and locked away the elderly and vulnerable already. Be interesting to see the age profile of the positive cases in Australia. Hopefully we can keep the virus away from those vulnerable groups as long as possible. That will require us to remain vigilent until more is understood.
This is for NSW, last Tuesday.

Females aged between 30 and 39 account for more than ten per cent of the coronavirus cases currently confirmed in New South Wales.
Data released by NSW Health on Tuesday shows that demographic is the most common in the state - accounting for 28 of the 210 cases.
The next highest are males aged 30 to 39, with 24 confirmed cases in that demographic.
People aged 10 to 19 account for 11 of the cases and those aged 20 to 29 make up 30 of the cases.
The elderly, who have so far accounted for a vast majority of the global deaths from the virus, make up a small percentage of cases.
Those aged between 70 and 100 account for only 14 of the confirmed 210 cases.
Only three people over the age of 90, all females, are currently battling the virus.

Today again NSW.
Age and sex breakdown of confirmed cases reported in NSW

Age groupFemaleMaleTotal
10-1916824
20-296956125
30-396566131
40-494868116
50-595061111
60-694654100
70-79192241
80-8931215
90-100516
Total321348669

I wrote in an earlier post that the mayor of fremantle, brad pettitt, was involved in inviting cruise ships to fremantle, even when the port was not on their itinerary. He saw it as a big shot in the arm for local businesses. The spike in virus cases in WA has occurred because of cruise ships. There were 3 in port simultaneously about a week ago. Normally there's one every few weeks during the cruising period. Money gods have ruled the roost for some time. I'm not saying we should turn our backs on people but I have a distinct impression that governments are making decisions with one eye on the dollar. "It comes as Premier Mark McGowan revealed a cruise ship carrying 1700 foreign passengers ā€“ including 250 with upper respiratory illness ā€“ also wants to dock at Fremantle within 24 hours." I wonder why people cant come into the state and western australians are told to isolate, and yet we are allowing cruise ships to have this effect. The country spent billions of dollars keeping boat people off our shores. I'm struggling to understand the decision making in these matters.

I'm not suggesting the illness is a conspiracy.
I'm suggesting there is something behind the absolute panic and fear they have stirred the whole world into.
I am not really seeing the panic and fear. If anything we are probably not serious enough yet. In the last week reality has hit home more though. I think we as a community are only just cottoning on to the reality of this virus.

I am not really seeing the panic and fear. If anything we are probably not serious enough yet. In the last week reality has hit home more though. I think we as a community are only just cottoning on to the reality of this virus.
The media are driving the sensationalist headlines. It's click-bait, its viewership, its everything advertisers and news outlets crave.

I don't think theres any doubting the seriousness of the illness and its spread. But if people don't understand that's the way the game is played by these buffoons, you need a lesson.

The media are driving the sensationalist headlines. It's click-bait, its viewership, its everything advertisers and news outlets crave.

I don't think theres any doubting the seriousness of the illness and its spread. But if people don't understand that's the way the game is played by these buffoons, you need a lesson.
Different argument for mine. Panic buying for sure and media these days sensationalise everything but otherwise the country isnā€™t going crazy as I see it

Different argument for mine. Panic buying for sure and media these days sensationalise everything but otherwise the country isnā€™t going crazy as I see it
Isnā€™t going crazy?
Now, I work at a trade timber supplier. My wife is a Produce Manager at the
largest IGA in country Victoria.
I can tell you now that the last week and a half, her store has been pumped like 10 Christmases in a day. Day after day. And that includes her department, FRESH PRODUCE, how to you hoard fresh produce?
Her weekly figures are outstanding. But we cannot work out what people are doing with fresh food on this scale.
As for me, today I went to work and we are located near the SPC warehouses. You would not believe the amount of B-Doubles lined up there today. They literally stopped traffic. They parked across our entrance/exit. They stopped cars, they stopped busses. It was insane.
And I prime example of panic buying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isnā€™t going crazy?
I can tell you now that the last week and a half, her store has been pumped like 10 Christmases in a day. Day after day. And that includes her department, FRESH PRODUCE, how to you hoard fresh produce?
Her weekly figures are outstanding. But we cannot work out what people are doing with fresh food on this scale.
As for me, today I went to work and we are located near the SPC warehouses. You would not believe the amount of B-Doubles lined up there today. They literally stopped traffic. They parked across our entrance/exit. They stopped cars, they stopped busses. It was insane.
Well thats crazy. Gotta agree

Isnā€™t going crazy?

I would like to see the correlation between panic buyers and non-compliers with social distancing. I reckon it would be strongly positive.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I never argued that mortality rates for Coronavirus are less than the flu.
I just stated that you are more likely to die in a car accident, which is a fact.
At the moment death figures for Coronavirus is .00000095
Do the maths.
Much less likely tha .0055 for car deaths. Much much much less likely
Hang on, just so that I can understand, are there the same amount of cars on the road as there are those who have reportedly contracted the virus?

The non-complying Iā€™ve seen since Friday:
  • Pregnant woman in dentist waiting room: the only one of us who ignored the sign ā€˜please use hand sanitizer on arrival and when leavingā€™
  • Large group (about 50) outside a church after a funeral: kissing, hugging, shaking hands
  • Cricket game on oval near my place today: high-fiving and patting backs after taking wickets
This morning I saw the local butcher crammed with customers.

This morning I saw the local butcher crammed with customers.

Local school near my home. Mums parked out front at pickup were discussing the kids having a sleepover tonight. Awesome

Edit: to be clear I was self-isolating in my front yard. Watching. From behind a tree.

Last edited:

Like most things in life these days there are two universes. You could categorise it as the Right and the Left but its not as simple as that.

1. The Right - Trump, american republicans and in Australia, One Nation, Peter Dutton etc etc etc. Traditional folk. Many are rural but many in the city. God and country. Tradies, People who believe in good v evil. Uneducated young people.

2. The Left - Greenies, Vegan, Politically correct, Feminists, many of the hipsters, Professionals, Mostly living in the city but can be rural too. Educated young people.

So the Right got told by Trump in America and Alan Jones in Australia that the virus was all froth and bubble. The Left gets concerned if a ladybug gets killed in the forest so 20,000 oldies has quite an impact on them.

Local school near my home. Mums parked out front at pickup were discussing the kids having a sleepover tonight. Awesome

Edit: to be clear I was self-isolating in my front yard. Watching. From behind a tree.

maybe you could suggest a sleepover for the mums at your place...

Obvious we were favourites. Even more obvious this is another AFL conspiracy to stop us winning the flag.

Mate! The impression I get from you is "enough beer" would be a shite load. Do you live in a brewery or something? I've just given up. Gunna get me one of those kobucha plants. Dunno if you can get high if you drink enough of it but I am going to give it a damn good go.
I currently have 6 slabs but might get some more tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back