Certified Legendary Thread Covid, Life, UFOs, Food, & Wordle :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'd hate to be in marketing for a cruise line. It's going to be a while before anyone thinks of cruise liners as other than plague ships circling the seas looking for a port to take them.
Two words - free beer

It’s really starting to hit me that I won’t be going to the G this year.
No traveller on the way the station
No travel updates from TD
No pregame banter
NO BEERS AT THE PUB
No Legends Lounge
NO BELOVED PIES
No after game drinks
No late night kebab
No waking up weary but happy the next day

This really sucks 😢

Those figures are from the start of March. Given that at time of writing France had 191 cases and 3 deaths (1.6% mortality) and now has 92839 cases and 8078 deaths so a mortality approaching 10% and a medical system that cannot cope with the load, the author, if given the chance, may amend the line in the discussion “fear could have a larger impact than the virus itself”.

Run that line past a few of the French working in the strapped ICUs and see if they agree

Unfortunately this pandemic is very real.

Spot on, and like Gone Critical I strongly suspect they will be acutely embarrassed in 3 months time. Its a fundamentally flawed paper, they are comparing endemic cornoviruses that have been in the human population for a long time, with a pandemic virus that has recently jumped into humans from animals. It's comparing apples with oranges, and I am amazed that the reviewers of the paper did not point this out - peer review is a great system, but it isnt perfect! For the other coronaviruses, because they have been in the human population for a long time, there are a lot of humans who will be resistant to these viruses, so the chances of these viruses spreading alarmingly like COVID-19 and overhwhelming the health system are minimal. For COVID-19 the mortality data is all over the place and varies tremendously in different countries and even at different times of the outbreak. My take on this is that the virus isnt "that" dangerous in a well resourced health system and this accounts for the data with relatively low mortality (ie early in an outbreak, eg look at Germany in March, look at Australia), but late in an outbreak, when the number of infected people are too large, when ventilators are at a premium, when too many hospital staff are sick, when the system becomes overwhelmed then the mortality rate becomes truly catastrophic (eg Spain and Italy). The endemic coronaviruses simply dont have that potential

[
Those figures are from the start of March. Given that at time of writing France had 191 cases and 3 deaths (1.6% mortality) and now has 92839 cases and 8078 deaths so a mortality approaching 10% and a medical system that cannot cope with the load, the author, if given the chance, may amend the line in the discussion “fear could have a larger impact than the virus itself”.

Run that line past a few of the French working in the strapped ICUs and see if they agree

Unfortunately this pandemic is very real.

Agree - the real issue is trying to find an explanation for the substantially worse death rates in Europe, compared to other parts of the World. Per link below across the Global deaths/1million people is 8.9 while Spain and Italy are at 270, and France, Belgium and the Netherlands around half at 120, followed by the UK at 70.

And why in a sophisticated Country like Sweden with a deaths/1 mill of 40 (compared to Australia of 1 ) - has not chosen lockdown, AND that notwithstanding still substantially better off than the death rates in other European Countries. Further the Swedes to be so casual with a 5.8% death rate seems perplexing.

Philosophically their Public Health Policy, must therefore see this as just another winter bug.

Last edited:
footy season will go ahead in some format. There’s too much money to be lost if it doesn’t.

The question is whether the format can justify the awarding of a premiership. Or will this years premiership be seen as a lesser one like the preseason premierships always were?

Agree but what format? IMO there has to be at least 17 games so the flag is seen as legit. Problem is if you go 11 games foxtel/7 won't make up there losses and game still loses money.

I reckon some measures are starting to work. Provided you look at Australia's response specifically (can't see international borders opening anytime soon) there is a case if New Cases start dropping to single figures some restrictions (i.e. schools, maybe social distance) could be lifted in the next couple of weeks. Depending on what NSW does with their June 29 deadline and WA and SA with borders I reckon the season starts in June/July.

Just ran some rough numbers with recovery time/matches. Say you need 5 days between matches, a game every day and a GF. I will say worse case AFL could start October with teams playing the remaining 16 games with 5 days between, a game most days plus a Granny with the top 2 that could be around Christmas/NY eve. AFL will absolutely do this if necessary as they are desperate to hold the ship together.

Last edited:
Political leaders at both levels of government have strongly suggested that restrictions won't be lifted any time soon, at least months, maybe another 6 months. The scope of the federal government's economic response --not least the 'job keeper' scheme-- are a good indication that s**t is staying serious for a while yet.

At some stage, you'd hope that the AFL can feel secure enough for the future to let this season slip into the abyss. Statements of hope from Hocking etc. about keeping the season alive are admirable, right up until they start becoming pathetic, and the AFL's mumbling about playing a succession of games in remote locations (you know, cos other codes are thinking about the same stuff) suggests that the custodians of the game need to adapt to isolation a bit better.

Isn't there a point where the integrity of the game (or 'product') might be irrevocably compromised by the determination of the AFL to collect some cash from the broadcasters? I thought that playing our game without the barrackers was bad enough, but doesn't the prospect of jamming a shortened version of the game into a condensed fixture with games played in peopleless grounds in remote locations at the wrong time of year take us a little bit too far from the fabric of the game? How far can you detach football from itself before it becomes something else?

I have only questions, don't get paid enough to come up with answers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TIGER AT BRONX ZOO HAS CORONAVIRUS
A tiger at the Bronx Zoo has tested positive for the new coronavirus, in what is believed to be the first known infection in an animal in the U. or a tiger anywhere, federal officials and the zoo said Sunday.
The four-year-old Malayan tiger named Nadia – and six other tigers and lions that have also fallen ill – are believed to have been infected by a zoo employee who wasn’t yet showing symptoms, the zoo said.
The first animal started showing symptoms March 27, and all are doing well and expected to recover, said the zoo, which has been closed to the public since March 16 amid the surging coronavirus outbreak in New York.

1586149532103.png

Agree but what format? IMO there has to be at least 17 games so the flag is seen as legit. Problem is if you go 11 games foxtel/7 won't make up there losses and game still loses money.

I reckon some measures are starting to work. Provided you look at Australia's response specifically (can't see international borders opening anytime soon) there is a case if New Cases start dropping to single figures some restrictions (i.e. schools, maybe social distance) could be lifted in the next couple of weeks. Depending on what NSW does with their June 29 deadline and WA and SA with borders I reckon the season starts in June/July.

Just ran some rough numbers with recovery time/matches. Say you need 5 days between matches, a game every day and a GF. I will say worse case AFL could start October with teams playing the remaining 16 games with 5 days between, a game most days plus a Granny with the top 2 that could be around Christmas/NY eve. AFL will absolutely do this if necessary as they are desperate to hold the ship together.

They’ll salvage the product in some format but yeah if it’s any less than 17 games then the result will be ridiculed.

I think that jettisoning finals and having a 17 game season with the top two then playing off in a grand final would be the most you could reduce it while maintaining legitimacy.

The issue then is where will it be played. Play it remotely and the players won’t want to be away from home for 4months.

But play it in the major cities and the risk of infection occurring to one of the playing, coaching or umpiring group and thereby permanently halting the comp are a lot higher.

Ed has lost his Mind:

I did suggest the move down to tassie a while back. Ed has finally listened.
My next suggestion to sort this comp out is use the opportunity to jettison the dead weight. Start with the AFL, particularly the pretty face running it. GC can go. Amalgamate north with someone, saints or hawks and shift em down here. Ban Carlton.

Political leaders at both levels of government have strongly suggested that restrictions won't be lifted any time soon, at least months, maybe another 6 months. The scope of the federal government's economic response --not least the 'job keeper' scheme-- are a good indication that s**t is staying serious for a while yet.

At some stage, you'd hope that the AFL can feel secure enough for the future to let this season slip into the abyss. Statements of hope from Hocking etc. about keeping the season alive are admirable, right up until they start becoming pathetic, and the AFL's mumbling about playing a succession of games in remote locations (you know, cos other codes are thinking about the same stuff) suggests that the custodians of the game need to adapt to isolation a bit better.

Isn't there a point where the integrity of the game (or 'product') might be irrevocably compromised by the determination of the AFL to collect some cash from the broadcasters? I thought that playing our game without the barrackers was bad enough, but doesn't the prospect of jamming a shortened version of the game into a condensed fixture with games played in peopleless grounds in remote locations at the wrong time of year take us a little bit too far from the fabric of the game? How far can you detach football from itself before it becomes something else?

I have only questions, don't get paid enough to come up with answers.

These are valid concerns, but if playing some poor games saves some clubs from being killed isn't that worth it?

I'm sure once we haven't had sport for 5 months we'll be happy to see AFL played even if it's no where near as good as it normally is.

It should be good for the economy too, get some money flowing.

No it wasn't. Why the hell would I want to get involved in anything that silly?

All I ask is that you just learn to love me re. It could be the love of a lifetime.. even if it lasts a week. You're just the sweetest daydream.

I did suggest the move down to tassie a while back. Ed has finally listened.
My next suggestion to sort this comp out is use the opportunity to jettison the dead weight. Start with the AFL, particularly the pretty face running it. GC can go. Amalgamate north with someone, saints or hawks and shift em down here. Ban Carlton.

Would NT be best state for it then?

These are valid concerns, but if playing some poor games saves some clubs from being killed isn't that worth it?

I'm sure once we haven't had sport for 5 months we'll be happy to see AFL played even if it's no where near as good as it normally is.

It should be good for the economy too, get some money flowing.

The money borrowed by the AFL has underwritten the survival of the 18 clubs. It has cost them (more of) their independence, but their existence isn't in any more doubt now than it was before the pandemic. They will survive to struggle another day, whether the ball gets bounced again in 2020 or not.

On your third point, I've got no doubt that the resumption of some sort of comp will be good for the economy. For some, that fact alone is enough to justify cramming in whatever bastardised version of the game they can fit into whatever is left of 2020. I'm not unsympathetic to this imperative, especially because a lot of decent people up and down the food chain have come to rely on the fruits of footy, but how much should we allow the game to be dictated by economics?

I'm not quite divorced from reality, I can see the ways in which the game has fundamentally altered over the past decades, and I know how much money has driven the change. However, up to this point the competition has managed to largely resemble the game I grew up with. I still recognise it, not least as a Melbourne game which keeps me sane in the winter, and as a game in which supporters are an integral part. But if some of this 'creative thinking' (i.e. desperation for dollars) is realised then I reckon the game will have strayed too far for many people...including me.

Maybe that's what needs to be balanced, to weigh a short-term injection of cash and entertainment against a more ambiguous notion: the integrity of the game. Some fools like me hold onto a sense of football as more than a product, and if the AFL are determined to remind me of my folly then I might have to acknowledge that I'm no longer the target market for what they're selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back