Certified Legendary Thread Covid, Life, UFOs, Food, & Wordle :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outdoor quarantine facilities will mitigate the risk by providing workers better ventilation, but there will still be a risk.

Has to be better than busing people into the middle of a city though!

Agreed. A risk will always remain when the Q worker isn't in full PPE and goes home to family at night.

Vaccinations to Q workers will help alleviate this.

Agreed. A risk will always remain when the Q worker isn't in full PPE and goes home to family at night.

It's still not known if the vaccine will prevent you from catching and spreading the virus. it likely will just stop you getting very ill with it.

Have they worked out if those vaccinated will still be carriers of the virus? Last I read, which was a while ago, was they were unsure if vaccinated persons would still be able to pass on the virus or if it would only stop them getting sick.

Edit: Thanks neilk, answered above.

It's still not known if the vaccine will prevent you from catching and spreading the virus. it likely will just stop you getting very ill with it.

Have they worked out if those vaccinated will still be carriers of the virus? Last I read, which was a while ago, was they were unsure if vaccinated persons would still be able to pass on the virus or if it would only stop them getting sick.

Edit: Thanks neilk, answered above.

Ahhh yes, I now recall reading the same.

By vaccinating Q workers we are potentially only protecting them from the severity of the virus not anyone they come in contact with.

It's something but it would mean we are still at risk of outbreaks and would need to retain a more effective Q system than the current one.

Ahhh yes, I now recall reading the same.

By vaccinating Q workers we are potentially only protecting them from the severity of the virus not anyone they come in contact with.
In other words, people hoping the virus is going to make a huge difference to the spread are mistaken. The only way for it to be effective is for the world to open up again once the majority are vaccinated, or allowing travel for those with a vaccine passport, knowing that there will be no severe effects, but aware that the virus will still be spread. Problem is the long time frame being predicted for the vaccination program to be completed, even and particularly in Australia. It could be years with current safety concerns in so many countries, and for some people, that wait is too long.

In other words, people hoping the virus is going to make a huge difference to the spread are mistaken. The only way for it to be effective is for the world to open up again once the majority are vaccinated, or allowing travel for those with a vaccine passport, knowing that there will be no severe effects, but aware that the virus will still be spread. Problem is the long time frame being predicted for the vaccination program to be completed, even and particularly in Australia. It could be years with current safety concerns in so many countries, and for some people, that wait is too long.

A buddy of mine works for Airports Australia. They expect mid '22 until we get 80% of the air traffic we had prior to COVID.

I know, awesome...

It was in the news that Lindsay Fox is in talks with the state government re: Q camps. Hotel Q isn't working and has already brought the state to its knees once.
The old sly Fox...
His aim is to;
A : get as much money from the Government as possible. Wonder how much he is asking to setup some relocatable homes?
B : Make Avalon an International Airport for a lot more airlines.

All comes back to the dollar for Fox.
But I do believe it is a solution that can be setup quickly and is good for both the state (Melbourne really) and the people being quarantined as they would have an experience more like the NT quarantine, which is the gold standard.
Make it so Dan.

He's optimistic.
More like '23 for 50%

I think I agree with you on this. Mid '22 we're still looking at travel bubble agreements IMHO.

The old sly Fox...
His aim is to;
A : get as much money from the Government as possible. Wonder how much he is asking to setup some relocatable homes?
B : Make Avalon an International Airport for a lot more airlines.

All comes back to the dollar for Fox.

But I do believe it is a solution that can be setup quickly and is good for both the state (Melbourne really) and the people being quarantined as they would have an experience more like the NT quarantine, which is the gold standard.
Make it so Dan.

Yes, it's win-win.

Fox gets to add some zeros to his trust fund and Victoria gets a better Q system.

I think I agree with you on this. Mid '22 we're still looking at travel bubble agreements IMHO.
Even if travel becomes unrestricted, it'll be years before some people will feel safe enough to travel. For a few years, itll be a fabulous time to travel as over tourism won't be a thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andrews in presser says looking good for tomorrow being last day based upon current figures, but will wait until tomorrow when all today's figures are known to make the final decision. It's looking good though (my read).

He also confirmed that they are going to build a Quarantine facility like the one in NT which will likely be near Avalon or Tulla airports.

I just want to say that I sent out the call for an alternative to hotel at the start of the pandemic. Evidence for this might be lodged in the first 250 pages or so of this thread.

I pre-empted Peta Credlin and called for the conversion of barracks and other non-metro holding facilities, and in fact I think that Peta might be a fan of my work.

There should have been a national plan in place, or it should have been put in place very quickly.

We've shown a disturbing ingenuity and capacity for rapid action in housing unwelcome overseas arrivals (i.e. refugees/asylum seekers) before, and should have called upon it for Covid-19, but the Coalition calculated that the political benefits were rather dubious in this instance.

Few things beg for centralised control more than a pandemic, but still we have a patchwork of systems with some States --Danistan-- feeling disproportionate pain and making things difficult across the board.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

But the time for it has probably passed.

A lot of energy and resources have been expended in setting up hotel quarantine, with more than a few hard lessons along the way, and I doubt that we should clean the slate and start anew.

To put it mildly, I'd be apprehensive about any jurisdiction trying to build and convert to an alternative arrangement this late in the day, especially in a State where mistakes in the current system are still causing so much grief.

Random thoughts...stop.

Edit: I'm not across the proposed purpose-built facility, haven't checked it out at all. Hope for the best.

Last edited:
I just want to say that I sent out the call for an alternative to hotel at the start of the pandemic. Evidence for this might be lodged in the first 250 pages or so of this thread.

I pre-empted Peta Credlin and called for the conversion of barracks and other non-metro holding facilities, and in fact I think that Peta might be a fan of my work.

There should have been a national plan in place, or it should have been put in place very quickly.

We've shown a disturbing ingenuity and capacity for rapid action in housing unwelcome overseas arrivals (i.e. refugees/asylum seekers) before, and should have called upon it for Covid-19, but the Coalition calculated that the political benefits were rather dubious in this instance.

Few things beg for centralised control more than a pandemic, but still we have a patchwork of systems with some States --Danistan-- feeling disproportionate pain and making things difficult across the board.

A lot of energy and resources have been expended in setting up hotel quarantine, with more than a few hard lessons along the way, and I doubt that we should clean the slate and start anew.

To put it mildly, I'd be apprehensive about any jurisdiction trying to build and convert to an alternative arrangement this late in the day, especially in a State where mistakes in the current system are still causing so much grief.

Random thoughts...stop.

Edit: I'm not across the proposed purpose-built facility, haven't checked it out at all. Hope for the best.
Could have just chucked them all down at the Quarantine Station at Portsea. They did that with the Kosovar refugees.

Random thoughts...stop.

The fact that it's being considered to the point that Andrews announced it is depressing. It makes me think that we're all being bloody optimistic with timelines and the impact of the vaccine. By the time this thing is up and running, high risk people will have been vaccinated and they will be moving on to the general population.

Hopefully it's just tokenistic arse covering - look everyone, I'm doing whatever I can.

The fact that it's being considered to the point that Andrews announced it is depressing. It makes me think that we're all being bloody optimistic with timelines and the impact of the vaccine. By the time this thing is up and running, high risk people will have been vaccinated and they will be moving on to the general population.

Hopefully it's just tokenistic arse covering - look everyone, I'm doing whatever I can.
Couple of things.
We will continue to have people coming from countries that haven’t handled the virus as well as we have. And there is no sign that mishandling, or access to the vaccine for poorer countries, is going to change anytime soon.
The most important thing in my mind is that there is still no clear evidence that the vaccine stops anyone from spreading the disease. At the moment it’s just a vaccine to prevent illness. So quarantine is still a necessity. And will be for years to come.

Couple of things.
We will continue to have people coming from countries that haven’t handled the virus as well as we have. And there is no sign that mishandling, or access to the vaccine for poorer countries, is going to change anytime soon.
The most important thing in my mind is that there is still no clear evidence that the vaccine stops anyone from spreading the disease. At the moment it’s just a vaccine to prevent illness. So quarantine is still a necessity. And will be for years to come.
I think what you're suggesting is probably the reality of how it will play out unfortunately, which is what I'm alluding to. However, I think the vaccine will turn it into "just the flu", so it won't be a big deal if people arrive with it and it will be an over-cautious response.

Could have just chucked them all down at the Quarantine Station at Portsea. They did that with the Kosovar refugees.

I remembered the Kosovars, am I right that we scattered them around a few different places?

And then came the asylum seekers, on and offshore detention, an intricate system which sprung up quickly enough to deal with a rather less disruptive situation than the one we're facing now.

Maybe the time has come to wheel out John Howard.

I remembered the Kosovars, am I right that we scattered them around a few different places?

And then came the asylum seekers, on and offshore detention, an intricate system which sprung up quickly enough to deal with a rather less disruptive situation than the one we're facing now.

Maybe the time has come to wheel out John Howard.
The answer is littered throughout this thread. Frankston and a ring of steel. Noone in or outT. Two birds with one stone.

The answer is littered throughout this thread. Frankston and a ring of steel. Noone in or outT. Two birds with one stone.

I fear that Frankston has been sidelined in our pandemic response, which can be chalked up as another failure of this government.

There has been some muttering that it might yet be utilised in relation to vaccination. People who refuse vaccination have the right to do so, but they will be obliged to exercise that right in Frankston and all its hospitable boroughs, to be concentrated upon the Frankston CBD (Central Bogan District), Kananook, the Pines, and Seaford.

Government has good reason to believe that there will be a rapid turnover of recalcitrants.

But people here know that I love Frankston, love its people in all their hideousness, and not for a moment do I think they deserve to have such a vile horde dumped upon them. They're far too good for that.

I fear that Frankston has been sidelined in our pandemic response, which can be chalked up as another failure of this government.

There has been some muttering that it might yet be utilised in relation to vaccination. People who refuse vaccination have the right to do so, but they will be obliged to exercise that right in Frankston and all its hospitable boroughs, to be concentrated upon the Frankston CBD (Central Bogan District), Kananook, the Pines, and Seaford.

Government has good reason to believe that there will be a rapid turnover of recalcitrants.

But people here know that I love Frankston, love its people in all their hideousness, and not for a moment do I think they deserve to have such a vile horde dumped upon them. They're far too good for that.

Antivax sentiment can be overcome by handing out free beer with each jab. Not even Pete Evans would be able to hold back that tide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back