Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

I just think he relies on the other coaches for their ideas about the gameplan. He's not up in the box making moves, for example. Thats one indication. Relationship building isnt just rah rah. I just dont think everything comes from the senior coach. Those days ended with ron barassi.
I recall Fky saying in his first year, and early games, that the midfield coach was responsible for the midfield on game day, the defence coach for defence, the forward coach for the forwards etc etc - while communicating with him about what they were doing.

Some of us marvelled at the time about how this apparent level of delegation was innovative.

I wouldn’t actually know if it was innovative or not, but I do know that it worked well for two years. But we now we have different assistants in place on game day.

Interesting article on the Hun website about whether we have suffered a premiership hangover.

They interviewed a player from WB (2016) and Hawks (2008), and Tigers (2017). Bevo after the Dogs won the premiership flipped all the line coaches. Players claimed this had a significant and negative impact on the playing group but moreso the defenders. At the end of 2020 he changed it back to the 2916 set-up. In 2021, they made the GF. At the end of 2022 some of them were sacked and left. In 2023 the WB defence fell away after they sacked Rohan Smith against Bevo's wish

The question is what is more important, personal development (as in assistant coaches) vs team success? Bolton is no longer backline coach and Leppa us no longer forward line coach.

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Interesting article on the Hun website about whether we have suffered a premiership hangover.

They interviewed a player from WB (2016) and Hawks (2008), and Tigers (2017). Bevo after the Dogs won the premiership flipped all the line coaches. Players claimed this had a significant and negative impact on the playing group but moreso the defenders. At the end of 2020 he changed it back to the 2916 set-up. In 2021, they made the GF. At the end of 2022 some of them were sacked and left. In 2023 the WB defence fell away after they sacked Rohan Smith against Bevo's wish

The question is what is more important, personal development (as in assistant coaches) vs team success? Bolton is no longer backline coach and Leppa us no longer forward line coach.

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
The answer to me is pretty straightforward they go together hand in glove. If the assistant coaches aren’t developing the team won’t succeed.

Let me map out an alternative option for you. Would you prefer the 2024 setup or the 2024 setup minus Leppa and Bolton who have been poached by opposition clubs after they sought and received the PD opportunity we denied them? I think there’s merit in reviewing why things have fallen flat early in 2024 and it could well find that in part these moves were a driver.

Me though I think we look pretty similar to how we looked across the final 8 weeks of 2023 aside from finals when the game changes. I don’t think the way we play has evolved enough to maintain an edge on the competition and we’re now back in the peloton chasing GWS, Sydney and Carlton. Couple that with the line coach changes, a small shift in player mindset and the loss of GW and you begin to see a lot that could be wrong at the moment.

i wonder if the players just arent playing as well....although i accept that players dont need to play well as long as they've got a new beaut superslick gameplan....

Me though I think we look pretty similar to how we looked across the final 8 weeks of 2023 aside from finals when the game changes.

I don’t disagree with your contention that we appear to be back in the peloton, for a range of reasons.

But I’m still not understanding the argument which, when discussing our form in late 2023 through to early 2024, excludes the finals. When you say the latter are ‘when the game changes’, the fact that we performed at our best when the footy was at its hardest must count for something in our recent form history. I can’t see it as some kind of anomaly.

Of interest, you are not alone in this regard. But I’m struggling with it.

I don’t disagree with your contention that we appear to be back in the peloton, for a range of reasons.

But I’m still not understanding the argument which, when discussing our form in late 2023 through to early 2024, excludes the finals. When you say the latter are ‘when the game changes’, the fact that we performed at our best when the footy was at its hardest must count for something in our recent form history. I can’t see it as some kind of anomaly.

Of interest, you are not alone in this regard. But I’m struggling with it.
The style of game shifts to a contested arm wrestle where every mistake is amplified and space is harder to find then take advantage of. The perfect one play example was McVee overcommitting costing the match winning goal in the SF v Carlton. That little error happens often during the H&A season and you rarely see it in finals footy.

I also wouldn’t suggest we played at our best across those 3 finals. Our best of the past 12 months was v Port, GC, GWS (Rd 9ish) and the GF. We won the other two finals as we’ve won the majority of games the past 12 months with a burst of goals and hanging on for grim life at the end…

Hard not to get emotional reading this. Is there a dry eye in the house?

I still remember the first press conference at his unveiling in 2021.
Never have I felt more confident in a manager that he was “the one”.
He makes you feel part of the journey as a fan so you can only imagine how the players feel.

He makes you feel part of the journey as a fan so you can only imagine how the players feel.
I like your reference to ‘manager’, and I know what you mean.

I remember that first presser vividly. In general his initial emphasis on reconnecting with the fanbase after the pandemic years (not to mention the other off-field difficulties) was really refreshing.

I didn't know what to think when I first read the announcement. It took about three sentences (albeit nervous ones) from Fly to win me over

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard not to get emotional reading this. Is there a dry eye in the house?

I know this won't be a popular opinion, but Fly is starting to overshare things like this. Good on him for managing in this style, but he seems to want to always tell the world about it. There is a risk from this approach over time as it will grate on people in the media who will tear him down when the first opportunity arises, i.e. Caro last week.

I know this won't be a popular opinion, but Fly is starting to overshare things like this. Good on him for managing in this style, but he seems to want to always tell the world about it. There is a risk from this approach over time as it will grate on people in the media who will tear him down when the first opportunity arises, i.e. Caro last week.
Who cares if it bothers journalists? If it fosters better connection internally then that is all that matters.

Interesting point. Fly being open about his interactions with the playing group is lapped up by some, including me. We’ve also grown used to hearing more of this stuff under Fly, including in the media inundation which followed the flag.

But Fly is deliberate (calculated?) in managing what’s made public, and when. We heard about the texts after the Brisbane win - we wouldn’t have known about them if we’d lost.

You are right in that it will grate on some in the media, and there are risks in this strategy. But as the Pies coach there will always be plenty gunning for Fly to fail and looking for evidence of him slipping.

His managed but open approach has worked to date, so I hope he doesn’t change that - unless and until he has to. For the right reasons, and not to please the media.

I think I get your point …

… it’s all fine to be vulnerable when we’re winning. And we have been winning (losing first three games of the season is
Bugger all compared to how bad things can get) …

… but what happens when we’re not winning? When things aren’t going so well, as inevitably will happen at some stage?

it’s a fair point.

Fly is yet to be properly tested in the media - so far he’s gone from honeymoon to hero in one step.

It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out.

How many other coaches spend 30mins - 1 hour on the radio every 2 weeks?
On top of all other media commitments.

Most of these stories tend to come from that radio slot.

I disagree. It’s refreshing to have a coach who is so open and honest.

The players clearly appreciate it, as do most of the fans.

IMO, McRae's high EQ is what defines him as a coach and the way he's gone about connecting the club / players / fans etc (see Jurgen Klopp at LfC). It's also this very intangible that creates belief & draws out an extra 2% effort to get you over the line on GF day ..a potent intangible that is very much a competitive advantage!

My concern with the over-sharing (and it's a relatively small concern) is the free education he's providing many other coaches in the comp, to up their EQ, even when it doesn't come naturally (eg. Voss, Lyon, Fagan et el), as a means of generating that extra lift in performance.

Prefer they didn't have any free education and had to take the long way home.

IMO, McRae's high EQ is what defines him as a coach and the way he's gone about connecting the club / players / fans etc (see Jurgen Klopp at LfC). It's also this very intangible that creates belief & draws out an extra 2% effort to get you over the line on GF day ..a potent intangible that is very much a competitive advantage!

My concern with the over-sharing (and it's a relatively small concern) is the free education he's providing many other coaches in the comp, to up their EQ, even when it doesn't come naturally (eg. Voss, Lyon, Fagan et el), as a means of generating that extra lift in performance.

Fair call, Sam. Although, the issue for others is that if they haven't genuinely developed the same relationship with the players and staff then there is a real risk of them appearing inconcgruent.

100000000% agree

My wife said this when I related the story and I have to admit on reflection I agree with her. It almost tarnishes the act by telling the outside world about it. It should be a bond and love between Fly and the boys, not a tool for gaining plaudits for this new novel approach to coaching.

I still love Fly and all he stands for but I think he did overshare on this occasion. There's a danger in raising eyebrows and inviting pushback when sharing any story which reflects well on the story teller.

Interesting point. Fly being open about his interactions with the playing group is lapped up by some, including me. We’ve also grown used to hearing more of this stuff under Fly, including in the media inundation which followed the flag.

But Fly is deliberate (calculated?) in managing what’s made public, and when. We heard about the texts after the Brisbane win - we wouldn’t have known about them if we’d lost.

You are right in that it will grate on some in the media, and there are risks in this strategy. But as the Pies coach there will always be plenty gunning for Fly to fail and looking for evidence of him slipping.

His managed but open approach has worked to date, so I hope he doesn’t change that - unless and until he has to. For the right reasons, and not to please the media.
There are definitely worse things than a coach being accused of loving his players too much!