Vale Craig Stewart

Remove this Banner Ad

Sad to hear that - too young. I remember him too from my very young years watching the Hafey coached teams , the old Scanlens cards etc...

R.I.P.

Far out ... I hadn't heard the name Scanlens cards for yonks.

Thanks to Google....

View attachment 1708071

View attachment 1708073

View attachment 1708076

Funny the things you remember - I can't remember what I did yesterday but I know for sure I have that 1982 card stashed away and probably the 1980 one too.

Craig was a solid player and averaged better than a goal a game , but then (if memory serves correct) got caught up in the Collingwood/Richmond trade wars

We used to sit between the point post and umpires race at Victoria Park and I can vividly remember Craig Stewart launch into a big clearance kick out of the goal square only for the ball to be smothered and grabbed off his boot by Carlton's Wayne Johnston who snapped a goal. I can still recall the thudding sound the smother made. Loved Vic Park and Stewart was one of my Nan's favourite players.

66 seems a relatively young age to die these days. Anyone know how he died? None of the articles I saw mentioned it.

The big snagger is averaging 1.4 goals a game in 1979 and has amassed 32 goals coming into September when he is inexplicably dropped (his last few games were poor but he had the runs on the board) for the Prelim and Grand Final for big Derek Shaw (no relation) who gets 2 possessions in the prelim and ZERO stats in a Grand Final we lose by 5 points. Vale Snag, robbed of his premiership wings.

Last edited:
Really sad to hear

Couple of years back I was down at The Espy having a couple of quiet beers with a mate. Standing at the bar next to me was one Rene Kink and Snaggles ‘Stewart’. I said hi, offered to buy them a beer and the next 3 or so hours they were happy to share stories, beers, lots of laughs and chat about all things football, women, life etc. Both genuine blokes with a really good sense of humour.

Rest well big man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it was the Junction oval, kicking to the scoreboard end he kicked a torpedo goal from about 60 metres out.
The ball didn't "barrel" like a Daicos torpedo, but went straight ahead like a missile, right through the high diddle diddle.
Snagglepuss.

I remember Craig's first game for us in 1978. Round 1 v Geelong at Kardinia Park.
I couldn't believe how much he looked Phil Carman when I first set eyes on in him at CHF, especially as Craig wore number 9.
A terrific servant of our club. RIP Stewie'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back