Teams Cronulla Sharks 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that makes no sense to me. I would have thought he either goes now, or after we play them. Perhaps it's because we need that two weeks to negotiate the release of the replacement?

Or we think the injured players will be back by rd 3?

On Tuesday the 10th the CEO had this to say,

'Cronulla CEO Dino Mezzatesta said talks with the Roosters would continue but there was no agreement to release Morris after the match against the Rabbitohs or at any other time, while the Sharks have not spoken with Roosters forward Poasa Faamausili about joining the club.'

The article above goes on to state that Poasa Faamausili is only a twelve month deal. In any case we are supposedly going to release a try scoring back for a forward while we have Dugan, Moylan and Xerri in doubt with injury and that just does not make sense.

Wow, we think we are going rough but I reckon the Bulldogs are in deep s**t. They have lost two major sponsors within 48 hours because of the allegations that two of their players had sexual encounters with a couple of teenage school girls after a trial match in Port Macquarie. Apparently these two guys lured the girls to their hotel room via social media after they met them at an NRL sanctioned school promotional visit. Once again Canterbury are in deep s**t because of alleged player behaviour. There has to be a culture problem within the club and the NRL and the club have to sort it out.

If these allegations are proved then a good start might be to ban these two for life.

So I'm guessing we're screwed if the season doesn't go ahead? Or are we in the 'Rich' part of the Sharks financial cycle?
I thought the development income promised in return for handing over the land to developers would guarantee our future. At least that's what we were told at the time. Mind you, we were also told that there would be no work on Shark park, it was just to be used as a working area during development. Place looks like a bomb's hit it from the photo I saw this morning.

I imagine the whole NRL is screwed, they aren't as financially solvent as the AFL. Can't see every Club surviving and there'll be a huge push to have the Sharks merge. This despite the fact that Souths and Easts are still separate entities despite their home grounds being within walking distance. Not beyond the realms of reality that we'll merge with St George and stay at Kogarah with a handful of games in Wollongong/Cronulla. That would be the end of NRL for me.

I thought the development income promised in return for handing over the land to developers would guarantee our future. At least that's what we were told at the time. Mind you, we were also told that there would be no work on Shark park, it was just to be used as a working area during development. Place looks like a bomb's hit it from the photo I saw this morning.

I imagine the whole NRL is screwed, they aren't as financially solvent as the AFL. Can't see every Club surviving and there'll be a huge push to have the Sharks merge. This despite the fact that Souths and Easts are still separate entities despite their home grounds being within walking distance. Not beyond the realms of reality that we'll merge with St George and stay at Kogarah with a handful of games in Wollongong/Cronulla. That would be the end of NRL for me.

Yeah screw that.

Yes if the Sharks go so will I.

Stadium Australia and SCG aren't walking distance apart.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was a suggestion that the NRL might cancel the points gained in the first two rounds when and if the season restarts as a two conference competition. Can see some clubs being upset if it happens but we won't be one of them.

Pencil in another round 1 loss then.

Dylan Napa showing support for Corey Harawira-Naera and Jayden Okenbor after they were de registered by the NRL and cut loose by the Bulldogs. Now that is the pot sticking up for the kettle.

The Bulldogs have a real culture problem.

You beauty, Peter V'landys has confirmed that teams will not be stripped of points for first two rounds when the game restarts.

You beauty, that means we can keep our ZERO points. :rolleyes:

It didn't really make any sense to strip points when the games count as opposition played. Lets look on the bright side, we don't have to play the Storm again!

So I'm guessing we're screwed if the season doesn't go ahead? Or are we in the 'Rich' part of the Sharks financial cycle?

We still hold a fair bit of value in assets left to procure loans for the future.
Last year we were held together by a string of loans, which, when we handed land over to developers we were able to pay off and now sit somewhere near the black. The issue now is revenue creation, which is why we brough Kareela gold course to give us income throughout the entire year (not just footy season) and the upgrades to Shark park includes facilities that can be hired out and used for more revenue, as well as food and other hospitality services.

If we can survive the COVID-19 crisis and only spend the two allotted years at Kogarah, we will be fine for revenue.

Regards to relocation, if we can show financial stability, that goes to help our cause.
The other things they look at (cant remember where i read this) is attendance, performance and the strength of the j.unior system

Our juniors has been producing elite talent for the best part of decade, and we have had clubs raiding our juniors for years cause they cant grow their own (f*** you roosters and storm) and have talented juniors coming out of our ears now in Katoa, Xerri, Kennedy, Ramien (returned), Mulitalo x 2, Magoulias, Nikora, Rudolf, Williams, Brailey etc who are all in and around the firsts team, with Trindall (could be better than Flanagan imo), Vasquez, Wilton and Ferris showing promise too.
We have made the finals for the last 6 years and normally have good attendance at Shark Park. Other than the fact we are sandwiched between two bigger clubs in the Dragons and Bunnies, there should be no reason to move us if and when the possibility of someone relocating comes up.

Gold Coast, The Warriors, Manly and the Bulldogs (sandwiched between two massive clubs in Souths and Easts, not strong currently financially and probably need a rebrand!) Would be morle likely to be in the gun, in my opinion

Last edited:
Yeah the Gold Coast is a wasted experiment. It hasn't worked for the NRL or the AFL. If they want a second NRL team in Brisbane, which probably should happen, move the Titans into Brisbane.

In a way this crisis might help us ride out those salary cap restrictions. We will not be able to spend big but the others might not have the money to spend big anyway.

Yeah the Gold Coast is a wasted experiment. It hasn't worked for the NRL or the AFL. If they want a second NRL team in Brisbane, which probably should happen, move the Titans into Brisbane.

In a way this crisis might help us ride out those salary cap restrictions. We will not be able to spend big but the others might not have the money to spend big anyway.
Even though it is a genuine possibility, I personally dont think moving the Gold Coast to Brisbane would work. They will always be seen as the Gold coast and Brisbane residents wont buy in. A new team like Brisbane Bombers or something carries a risk of being seen as the little brother (i.e Freo to West Coast) so it will be interesting.

The Gold Coast produces rugby league talent by the bucketload. If they can get the team right, it is a better chance of succeeding than the Suns for example.

Even though it is a genuine possibility, I personally dont think moving the Gold Coast to Brisbane would work. They will always be seen as the Gold coast and Brisbane residents wont buy in. A new team like Brisbane Bombers or something carries a risk of being seen as the little brother (i.e Freo to West Coast) so it will be interesting.

The Gold Coast produces rugby league talent by the bucketload. If they can get the team right, it is a better chance of succeeding than the Suns for example.

How long have we been saying that? Brisbane will get a second team at some stage as one team in an NRL mad city of 2.5M is under representation.
I would sooner see the Suns or at least their licence move to Brisbane than see Cronulla relocated to Brisbane as was suggested last year. Freo and Port have done OK since being introduced as second AFL teams in Perth and Adelaide and there is no reason that a re-badged Titans could not do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back