CrossFit Anyone??

Remove this Banner Ad

GOT_TO_LIFT

Senior List
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Anyone do CrossFit in the Offseason?

The CrossFit program is designed for universal scalability making it the perfect application for any committed individual regardless of experience. We’ve used our same routines for elderly individuals with heart disease and cage fighters one month out from televised bouts. We scale load and intensity; we don’t change programs.
From http://www.crossfit.com

http://vimeo.com/8278662

yes

and

pushing technical lifts past the point of the point of failure for 1...who does 20 reps for deadlifts or power cleans?

programming makes no sense - 1km on the row then do pull ups? why? there's no justification for anything

good at a lot of things, excellent at nothing

i could list a thousand of reasons

As much as I disagree with the way kirk just spouts off with no reasoning over and over again on this forum I do agree with him here. Its s**t!

This quote completely sums up why I think its s**t.

"Crossfit is BY FAR inferior as a training system for EVERYTHING except Crossfit"

Show me an individual that can place high in multiple events that are very different. I'd love to see someone that can squat 700+, deadlift 700+, bench 500+, run a 2:10:00 marathon, etc etc..... And if there is such an individual I GUARANTEE they specialized in each event and DID NOT train for them concurrently.

If you want to be a weightlifter, you train using weightlifting protocols

If you want to be a powerlifter, you train using powerlifting protocols

If you want to build muscle or be a bodybuilder, you train using hypertrophy protocols

If you want to lose fat, you train using fat loss methods

If you want to get well conditioned you train using conditioning methods

Crossfit is not as good and not as safe as ANY of those specialized training protocols and THAT is why its not good.

I have been Cross Fitting for 3 months now .

I have found it great and it to be the next step up from Boot Camps

I have lost 39.1 kgs the last 15kgs have been since joining Cross Fit.

I enjoy the Work out's and programing.

I have lost 39.1 kgs
That's a great effort, but if you had 39.1kgs to lose pretty much any basic program would be working for you if you are at a caloric deficit.

Nobody outside of a Cro$$fit studio rates Cro$$fit

Yeah exactly.

But the main thing to take from that is that someone has enjoyed the program and has lost almost 40kgs. Whether it's the most efficient program or not (we'll agree it's not) is irrelevant in that case, it's probably whatever motivates the person to lose weight.

Having said that, there are an almost infinite number of programs/splits/routines that people use in their training and they're tailored to individual goals. So while that might be good for GTL, as Mof said, it's not going to be effective for the majority of people.

I reckon if you have some weight to lose, start on something like SS and just alter your diet. Probably the best way to go imo.

Really as fitness people we're all consumers pretty spoilt for choice with all the different programs, exercises and trainers out there. It all depends on your requirements.

I happen to be someone that builds muscle very easy so I like to do the occasional crossfit routine once a week or so because it uses med weight or body weight, high reps and covers all muscle groups. Good for toning and I always wind up nice and sore. I slip a few high intensity intervals and the trainer punishes me for the best part of 70 min. I find straight cardio or "3 sets of this at 8 reps" a bit boring ALL the time and this is something that keeps me interested. Really shocks the muscles.

Yesterday I did
50 KB upswings (16kg)
50 shoulder push press (17.5kg)
90 second row at 100%
50 crunches
50 KB pull ups (16kg)
500m sprint
50 burpees
50 back ext ( no weight)
5 min skipping
pin loaded crunches
Pin loaded obliques
Boxing heavy bag few minutes

Is it the greatest thing in exercise? Probably not, but it has its place. And like most things, you pick what works and ignore what doesn't. And the best trainers know that what is most important is what connects with the client- not their own preconceived ideas on what is the perfect program.

I recommend people give it a look, see if it holds something that might work for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back