Crows secure assistants-O'Keefe and Teague

Remove this Banner Ad

simmo97

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Adelaide has finalised its coaching panel, with the addition of two new faces.

Dual premiership player Ryan O’Keefe is heading to West Lakes, as a development coach assisting the midfield.

He retired at the end of the 2014 season after a decorated 286-game career with the Sydney Swans.

Among the 33-year-old’s list of achievements are a club best and fairest, Norm Smith Medal and All Australian selection.

The respected midfielder was part of the premiership-winning Sydney teams of 2005 and 2012.

David Teague also joins the Crows coaching staff, overseeing the forward line.

He spent the past season as an assistant at St Kilda, and prior to that worked alongside Adelaide Senior Coach Phil Walsh at West Coast.

Teague, who played 83 AFL games, started his coaching career in charge of the VFL’s Northern Bullants, combined with a full-time development role at Carlton.

Walsh said both O’Keefe and Teague bring different experiences and complement other members of the coaching group.

“Ryan is a quality person who comes from a successful environment,” Walsh said.

“His leadership and knowledge gleaned from an outstanding playing career at Sydney will be invaluable.

“David and I developed a strong rapport while working together at the Eagles for three years.

“He is a talented and astute young coach who will be an influential part of our team.”

Mark Bickley has advised that he would like to pursue other opportunities in 2015, but he will remain at the Club in a marketing and promotional role.

Scott Camporeale continues to mentor the Crows midfielders, while Darren Milburn is in charge of the defence.

Matthew Clarke will be the Club’s ruck coach.

Interesting selection in Teague.....

A little underwhelming for mine at this stage, but could we really expect the club to bring in a dream team of assistant coaches?

Walsh seems to rate Teague so I will reserve my judgement, only time will tell from now.

Interesting selection in Teague.....

A little underwhelming for mine at this stage, but could we really expect the club to bring in a dream team of assistant coaches?

Walsh seems to rate Teague so I will reserve my judgement, only time will tell from now.

A few of the guys that Walsh would like are under contract this year. he pretty much said on 5AA that once Lade comes out of contract next year he will (at least try to) bring him in.

I'm happy with these guys. Campo will get good assistance from Walsh this year and ROK has a lot to offer.

Lade will come in for Clarke next year, and hopefully we will get an experienced senior assistant at some stage. It's definitely still a pretty underwhelming coaching group, but unfortunately due to contracts etc. we may have to wait.

Btw bickley was probably the best assistant of the lot but overstayed his welcome. Overall doesn't leave me with much confidence for 2015, but you never know

Good that we have a new forward coach. Good that Campo has ROK in the midfield, hope Walsh's new game plan will help Campo out. Dasher lucky to stay defensive coach, but will see once again how he goes under a new game plan. Clarke has done a good job with Sauce. Glad Bickley is gone.

I reckon our midfielders will be tickled to know that they will be getting advice and encouragement from a pedigreed hard nut like ROK, dare I say a ROK hard nut.

That is, until they see the 2-way running he demands of them -- and shows them how if necessary. They won't be so tickled then.

Good that we have a new forward coach. Good that Campo has ROK in the midfield, hope Walsh's new game plan will help Campo out. Dasher lucky to stay defensive coach, but will see once again how he goes under a new game plan. Clarke has done a good job with Sauce. Glad Bickley is gone.
Succinct and to the point.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

O'Keefe and Teague are good additions to the coaching panel. Teague was an honest, hard at it player and if he and Walsh have a good working relationship, then I think it's good to have a coach who Walsh has in his corner already. I'll be very glad to see the back of Clarke (hopefully) when his contract is up. Sauce taps like Clarke did, straight at his feet, not necessarily to our advantage. I hope that we can get Lade when he is out of contract. I'm interested that Milburn hasn't departed with BS. Both Rutten and Talia speak highly of Milburn, going on their say so I'm fairly happy for him to get another year. When Talia accepted his B & F, he thanked Milburn sincerely, while not mentioning BS at all.

Given that BS was a poor communicator, it will be really interesting to see how the assistants go under Walsh and with his oversight. Roll on 2015!

O'Keefe may be an unknown quantity in the coaches box, but he did everything as a player that our guys can't or won't do so I'm going to look forward to seeing what impact he can have.

Teague is a bloke I know nothing about, but I didn't rate Bicks very highly given our dreadful structures and movement patterns up forward so as I've always said I'm happy to roll the dice on that one. Think Bicks would offer a lot at SANFL level with the development side of things though.

Milburn will be next in the gun, but I think if the team starts defending better up the ground our back 6 will really shine.

Clarke is still a tough one to call though, Jacobs has become arguably the best ruck in the league under him but everyone else to go near him has gone backwards. I'd have him in the Bickley category I think, been around too long and too middle of the road for me to be disappointed if he was moved on.

All-in-all good selections I think even if they don't set the world on fire on paper.

Milburn deserves another year or two. Our defense was atrocious due to turnovers and our lack of ability to negate outside run, which is more a midfield/gameplan problem. Basically all of our defenders have made huge individual strides under Milburn.

Lade will come in for Clarke next year, and hopefully we will get an experienced senior assistant at some stage. It's definitely still a pretty underwhelming coaching group, but unfortunately due to contracts etc. we may have to wait.

Btw bickley was probably the best assistant of the lot but overstayed his welcome. Overall doesn't leave me with much confidence for 2015, but you never know

I'm calling it early but IMO Lade may be the target to work under Wakshy in terms of a transition plan, highly regarded FOOTY IQ

Bad news guys, a few Port Power fans are saying this is an 'underwhelming' selection of assistants. Better roll out the tarps I suppose.

(Sorry to intrude) Whoever they are they're probably just being salty for the sake of it. In my case (and a lot of other people's, too), I've definitely got a lot more respect for your footy club now that they've seemingly grown a set and are working to turn things around.

Look forward to some great battles in 2015 :thumbsu:

Good gets by the club, all our work done in the space of 20 minutes

Hard to comment on assistant coaches when all we really know about their day to day coaching activities is the area of field they are responsible for.
Crows had one of the best attacks last season, does that mean Bickley was good?
Crows had one of the worse defences last season so does that mean Milburn was s**t? But Talia and B Smith made the AA team so...
I look forward to 2015 and will reserve judgement until I can see a new gameplan and how the players implement it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back