Secondary Crt

Remove this Banner Ad

Freelance, without question.

Make an effort to pop in to all of the local schools you'd like to get work at, ask to see the daily organiser as this is the person who organises cover for teachers who are out of school.

Not only do you get paid more, you also cost the school less. It's win/win.

Be aware that the peak time for CRTs is in terms 2 and 3.

In term 1 the school has carefully organised its staff, so they have every position filled. As the year progresses people get ill, people have babies, people take new roles, excursions and camps also come into play, this creates a need for CRTs.

In term 4 it dies off again for CRTs as VCE classes finish and the teachers who were teaching those classes are now free to fill in.

..Tips? Well, have back up games planned and ways to create interest.

If you're to walk into a class that has had no work left for them to complete, you'll enjoy your time a lot more if you have a bag of freddos and a soft ball that you can throw around to play a game of silent ball.

Otherwise, turn up ahead of time. Find out what you need to do in all of your classes as soon as possible. Get any photocopies you need made. That kind of thing.

And when you leave at 3:00, let it all go. Your responsibility for those students is finished for that day. Don't take it home with you.

Rarely will it be easy. But it also won't be overly difficult. It doesn't really matter if the students do their work or not. Keep them in their seats and keep them safe.

If you're in the outer south eastern suburbs I can help you get some work. PM me if you are.

Yep totally agree, email all schools in your area and ask them to pass on your details to the daily org. I did it for the first 4 weeks of last year and got work 3 days a week. I now work full time at one of the schools I was working as a CRT at.

Definitely ask to see the DO like someone else said. In terms of CRTs he's going to be the only one who has a say in who is working.

Once you've got some work, you have to approach CRT the same as regular teaching. Because it's not your class, there might be a temptation to let some behaviour go or not chase it up, but just like regular teaching, if you dont stamp it out early, it's going to make your life much harder in the long run. Stamp your authority early, recoup that time down the track when you have the reputation as a teacher not to be taken for a ride. We all remember subs who you knew were just easy rides.

Before you go into the first class, work out what the school system is for discipline. Big school like mine, students are never going to see the Principal unless it's for a serious disciplinary problem. Most schools have sub-schools with co-ordinators and AP's who are 'Principal' of that sub-school, either junior, middle or senior. So, you dont want to be corrected by a troublemaker, look bad in front of the class, if you tell a kid to go to the Principal's office for a small discipline issue.

If you can, try and get continuous work with just one or two schools. Couple of teachers at my school are "full-time" CRT. Kids just think they are normal teachers. Makes their life easier.

Once the school day is done make sure you loudly declare, in front of other teachers, that you're going home, having earnt $250 for 7 hours work. Apparently that makes teaching all the more worthwhile for the full-timers :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back