Society/Culture Cultural appropriation

Remove this Banner Ad

Sensationalist headline but a lot going on at the UK national trust

Last edited:
Could we classify transgender people under cultural appropriation?

Kind of (I'll explain)

its not really cultural appropriation, but there have been two complaints

first is a labour one. unlike previous years (where everyone was well and truly buried in the closet except for a few cases like Divine), there are a fair number of openly trans actors now in hollywood. with them often struggling to get roles for straight characters, there is the argument that all being equal they should get preference for trans roles. this doesnt mean they get to replace Tom Hanks in a role, but when a good trans actor is up against a shitbox straight actor for a trans role, the trans actor should get it.

From what i understand, some studios are still reluctant to put trans actors in high profile productions, because of fear of backlash in conservative markets. Personally i think they are overreading the reaction, it will be similar to casting gay roles. the people who boycott a gay actor (or in this case a trans one), are the same peeps who would never watch a movie with gay (or trans) characters anyway.

Second is the issue of it being played as a caricature. Some actors (and writers/directors) only see trans roles as a mega cliche. this is a bigger issue though, hollywood loves cut n paste roles like the black street thug, the male asian nerd, the female asian whore, the campy gay guy, the birkenstock lesbian, the muslim terrorist, and so on. its not prejudice however, just laziness and lack of imagination

Cultural appropriation is a good thing though. We should encourage more of it. Anyone who thinks cultural appropriation is wrong is a racist.

I am not claiming it isn't good, but I also think it's hypocritical by the boundaries that are typically placed on the subject.

Like most "woke" bullshit, it is highly selective and mob driven.

I am not claiming it isn't good, but I also think it's hypocritical by the boundaries that are typically placed on the subject.

The hypocrisy is staggering.

the greatest example is the lefty woke white mum who was helping her daughter dress up as a disney princess.

the daughter wanted to dress up as Moana. The mum said no you cant do that as thats stealing another peoples culture.

so the daughter asks to dress up as frozens Elsa. The mum says no you cant do that. You are promoting white culture.

in the end the mum decided her daughter cant dress up as any disney princess. The daughter was left in tears. The mum couldnt explain why she was right to come to this conclusion but knew she was. Just because.

ultimately wokism is about denying white people rights. you would think it should be supporting equal rights for all. But its not. Its just about taking rights away as some sort of self punishment based on bloodlines. the woke people are ultimately the most racist of all and they feel quilty about their racism and they assume every other white person is as racist as them and too must be punished.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of it I get though.

Personally I have zero time for people who pass of their work as being indigenous, and then when busted claim it's about being inspired by the art. Bullshit, you wanted people to think they were buying something they actually were not.

The stupid bit is all the faux dot paintings have now created this perception that all indigenous art is friggin dot paintings (when it was primarily only one small part of the country)

On the acting side, the low water mark for me was Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's. His performance was bad, a racist cliche, and probably the worst thing he did as an actor.

Now it's the like of Scarlett Johansson playing a Japanese cop, and another whiter than white actor playing an Asian American in Aloha. Ignoring performance (both were meh), they didn't really look the part at all. I know some actors can play across racial lines quiet well because of their look (ie Pacino), but some it's almost laughable (Connery as an Egyptian in Highlander :p)

Now it's the like of Scarlett Johansson playing a Japanese cop, and another whiter than white actor playing an Asian American in Aloha. Ignoring performance (both were meh), they didn't really look the part at all. I know some actors can play across racial lines quiet well because of their look (ie Pacino), but some it's almost laughable (Connery as an Egyptian in Highlander :p)
What about non-trans actors playing trans characters?

On non-disabled actors playing disabled characters?

The hypocrisy is staggering.

the greatest example is the lefty woke white mum who was helping her daughter dress up as a disney princess.

the daughter wanted to dress up as Moana. The mum said no you cant do that as thats stealing another peoples culture.

so the daughter asks to dress up as frozens Elsa. The mum says no you cant do that. You are promoting white culture.

in the end the mum decided her daughter cant dress up as any disney princess. The daughter was left in tears. The mum couldnt explain why she was right to come to this conclusion but knew she was. Just because.

ultimately wokism is about denying white people rights. you would think it should be supporting equal rights for all. But its not. Its just about taking rights away as some sort of self punishment based on bloodlines. the woke people are ultimately the most racist of all and they feel quilty about their racism and they assume every other white person is as racist as them and too must be punished.

When did this happen?

Is it OK for a white person to play a didgeridoo?
Of course brah, it is mad respectful to any decent indigenous person for others to celebrate their culture. I personally play a mean rendition of traditional aboriginal songs on the didgeridoo.
What about non-trans actors playing trans characters?

On non-disabled actors playing disabled characters?
Leo did a fine job of playing a t@rd in What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

Is it OK for a white person to play a didgeridoo?
It seems to be really mixed. Some sources say no, it's inappropriate to play one without permission from an elder or away from the tribal ground you got it from. Other sources actively sell authentic didgeridoos and offer classes on how to play them properly.

I suppose you could interpret someone who is an elder selling and teaching you how for money as permission, maybe. You'd probably have to confirm their authenticity, and that opens another whole barrel of worms entirely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back