Universal Love Culture Improvement at Collingwood in 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst I am sure that Maxy has had a major part in the culture improvement at the club, I suspect that there is way more to it than that. From where I sit there were a number of significant changes at the end of last year that have contributed and none more so than a change in Buckley's attitude and methodology. Of course Maxy may well have played a part in that too but I think significant credit has to be given to Bucks. On top of that, there were one or two very significant personnel changes at the top which from all reports have also had an effect. In the end it doesn't really matter what the main driver has been, only that it has been effective in making the whole club work so well together. Let's hope this continues and delivers us some just rewards.
Yes agree more than Maxy at work here - was probably the pointy end of some new programs and has always been a fantastic people person.

Glad that guys like Didak, Thomas, Johnson, Tarrant and Wellingham are gone. Good players but they all seemed like very ordinary people. I can't think of anyone on our current team like that

Ye' I'm not a fan of seemingly very ordinary premiership blokes.

so it was maxy....if only we did it a few years ago....
Only have to look at the clubs his been at.

Pies 2010 win flag
GWS 2015-17 make prelims stiff not to make/win a flag
Melbourne storm win flag 2017 runner up 2018
pies 2018 - runner up

Only have to look at the clubs his been at.

Pies 2010 win flag
GWS 2015-17 make prelims stiff not to make/win a flag
Melbourne storm win flag 2017 runner up 2018
pies 2018 - runner up

makes you wonder what took em so long to invite him back.... i just hope we have him under a super long term contract.

I'm highly skeptical of this culture business. Much prefer to think that our success this year was the result of a combination of coaching, good past list decisions and a young group of players hitting the right age/experience bracket to start doing some damage against the top teams. This new age philosophy rubbish is heavily results oriented. You only have to look at what happened to Adelaide last season to see that. One week their power stance was genius the next it was a joke and now the media are portraying their players as the victims of some bizarre social experiment.

Also think it's insulting to professional athletes to assume that they can't win without loving each other. Just look at how professional McCloud and Edwards were throughout their careers. Much prefer our football department $ be spent on coaches, recruiters, doctors than culture warriors.

I'm highly skeptical of this culture business. Much prefer to think that our success this year was the result of a combination of coaching, good past list decisions and a young group of players hitting the right age/experience bracket to start doing some damage against the top teams. This new age philosophy rubbish is heavily results oriented. You only have to look at what happened to Adelaide last season to see that. One week their power stance was genius the next it was a joke and now the media are portraying their players as the victims of some bizarre social experiment.

Also think it's insulting to professional athletes to assume that they can't win without loving each other. Just look at how professional McCloud and Edwards were throughout their careers. Much prefer our football department $ be spent on coaches, recruiters, doctors than culture warriors.

Yeah...nah

The Adelaide nonsense was nothing to do with ‘culture’. More like the opposite, with stupid and dangerous programs being implemented in a cultural vacuum. Empty heads were in charge there.

I agree with you about professional athletes not needing some sort of faux culture to get them going and motivate them for success.

But what appears to have blossomed at the Pies is a more relaxed and supportive environment. That’s the culture we want. It certainly improved us in 2018.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back