Coach Current coaching and recruiting structures

Remove this Banner Ad

Does it need a revamp?

Our midfield has clearly gone downhill since Mitchell has gone and the appointment of Rosa in particular seemed a strange addition given his style of play/role back in the day.

I’m pretty sure that Webster was retained and given a new role in spite of the poor job he did with the reserves. Being shunted away from that role so soon was a definite red flag.

Any thoughts on how we can work on improving our backroom staff? Any names we should be exploring as potential upgrades?

I’d also extend this discussion to our recruiting team, who have the list in a pretty precarious position by overpaying for Kelly and some questionable work in the last 5 years, leading to zero exciting midfield talent on the list.

Does it need a revamp?

Our midfield has clearly gone downhill since Mitchell has gone and the appointment of Rosa in particular seemed a strange addition given his style of play/role back in the day.

I’m pretty sure that Webster was retained and given a new role in spite of the poor job he did with the reserves. Being shunted away from that role so soon was a definite red flag.

Any thoughts on how we can work on improving our backroom staff? Any names we should be exploring as potential upgrades?

I’d also extend this discussion to our recruiting team, who have the list in a pretty precarious position by overpaying for Kelly and some questionable work in the last 5 years, leading to zero exciting midfield talent on the list.
Everytime I (and many others) have blasted our recruiters on here about not drafting any decent midfielders I cop it, but look where we are now. And we've sold the farm for Kelly on top of that so it's not going to get fixed anytime soon. I think we need to get in someone who's main focus is on identifying and drafting midfield talent but I have no doubts we'll just carry on with the exact same team and they'll keep drafting flankers and key forwards.

It was all Sam Mitchell and the Tigers run was all Caracella. Adam Simpson and Damian Hardwick are both frauds.

The combined coaching ticket of Mitch/Caracella would win the next 100 flags, uncontested.

Is there a way we could get them?

Does it need a revamp?

The Rosa appointment as midfield coach reeks of jobs-for-the-boys rather than canvassing for the best available candidate, especially considering the development of Gold Coast's midfield made no progress at all during his tenure there as a veteran player and mentor. (Indeed it could be argued their midfield has improved in its application since his departure).

Whether or not this appointment is a contributor to the current malaise and lack of cohesion displayed by the midfield this season remains to be seen. There is at the moment however, a worrying correlation.

I certainly would have preferred to have seen someone without any prior affiliation to the club appointed to this position of key importance.

The Rosa appointment as midfield coach reeks of jobs-for-the-boys rather than canvassing for the best available candidate, especially considering the development of Gold Coast's midfield made no progress at all during his tenure there as a veteran player and mentor. (Indeed it could be argued their midfield has improved in its application since his departure).

Whether or not this appointment is a contributor to the current malaise and lack of cohesion displayed by the midfield this season remains to be seen. There is at the moment however, a worrying correlation.

I certainly would have preferred to have seen someone without any prior affiliation to the club appointed to this position of key importance.
Isn't vanberlo the mids coach?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't vanberlo the mids coach?

Think so.

Dont think people need to be potting Rosa. He's quite junior and wont be running the show for the mids. And if he is, that is on the people running the club.

Does seem strange that we are so well resourced but have a mishmatch assistant coaching group. We should be a club with the key assistants ready to take the next step (like a Mitchell or Carcella).

Think so.

Dont think people need to be potting Rosa. He's quite junior and wont be running the show for the mids. And if he is, that is on the people running the club.

Does seem strange that we are so well resourced but have a mishmatch assistant coaching group. We should be a club with the key assistants ready to take the next step (like a Mitchell or Carcella).

It is actually pretty hard to convince assistants to move who might have young family's that would have to uproot for a couple of years.

We were lucky with Mitchell as he and Simmo had been in talks about it for years.

I would look at Kerr as someone we should try bring in for a role as stoppage coach as he would have a great idea on the dynamics of stoppages. But then there is his issues now and then that bubble up.

I wonder if someone like Mundy from Freo has done his coaching courses and would be interested in a junior coaching role like the one Rosa was given. He's the first player I could think of who is local, experienced in the midfield, and ready to hang up the boots imminently. Not saying he's the best candidate, but worth considering options we'd possibly previously ignored.

Everytime I (and many others) have blasted our recruiters on here about not drafting any decent midfielders I cop it, but look where we are now. And we've sold the farm for Kelly on top of that so it's not going to get fixed anytime soon. I think we need to get in someone who's main focus is on identifying and drafting midfield talent but I have no doubts we'll just carry on with the exact same team and they'll keep drafting flankers and key forwards.

Identifying talent isn't the problem, it's the list management strategy that needs a look. We simply drafted talls as a priority and that's why we have too many of those and a complete lack of mids.

It doesn't help that our midfield is so incredibly settled that our young mids aren't even getting a look in.

We did fork up a couple though. Ainsworth ahead of Worpel springs to mind. Also Venables...ok maybe talent identification is s**t :huh:

I always thought we are timid when it comes to hiring support for Simpson.
We have such deep pockets but all our assistants seem to be unproven or industry nobodies. Anyone who is any good gets poached pretty damn quick (Burns, Mitchell, Rawlings).

While I appreciate they all returned to their home states, money talks. Especially being in our premiership window, a couple big contracts to Mitchell and Rawlings would have kept them in WA for a couple more years you'd have thunk?

I always thought we are timid when it comes to hiring support for Simpson.
We have such deep pockets but all our assistants seem to be unproven or industry nobodies. Anyone who is any good gets poached pretty damn quick (Burns, Mitchell, Rawlings).

While I appreciate they all returned to their home states, money talks. Especially being in our premiership window, a couple big contracts to Mitchell and Rawlings would have kept them in WA for a couple more years you'd have thunk?

Voss :straining:

I think Simmo has even said it before how difficult it is. We should be chasing recent retirees with a smart brain on a 3 year deal with an option for another 2.
ROSA%20Matt.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back