Moved Thread Damien Barrett

Remove this Banner Ad

Wilson makes me cringe sometimes but she knows more about interstate clubs than any other victorian journalist. She does do her research

I have no idea how he got the media award. One of the universes great mysteries
There aren't many good sports journalists around and I'm not suggesting Barrett is one of them. However he's nowhere near the worst.

His award was one voted on by his peers.

Wilson is more a gossip columnist than a genuine sports journo. She gets plenty wrong as Lyon has pointed out many times on Footy Classified. She rarely fesses up to an error. Her get-out is generally that people have misinterpreted what she meant.

Plenty worse. Wilson for starters.

He did win an industry media award this year for his sports journalism
You're kidding, right? Wilson can at least be relied upon for accurate information. Barrett is the ambulance chasing retweeter par excellence.

Spent 97% of air time sticking the boot into the MFC.
He's not the only person in the media or football follower who hasnt been bewildered by Melbourne's "tradelotto" use of the trade period.

As a Melbourne supporter, surely you must have seen the thousands of posts here on Big Footy alone that are criticical of Neelds scattergun approach. In defence of Barrett, he is just one of many who are a little bemused by the past few weeks.

GOLD COAST
In: Tom Murphy (Hawthorn), Greg Broughton (Fremantle), Jack Martin (GWS trade incentive selection), 2011 compensation selection end round one (R.Palmer), 2010 compensation selection round one (G.Ablett), draft selections 13, 57, 59, 60

Damian Barrett's trade take: "They didn't do a lot, but they're really happy to get Jack Martin."

Two solid defenders, a young gun, and three first round picks. Didn't do a lot though.

MELBOURNE
In: Shannon Byrnes (Geelong), Jack Viney (father-son), Dominic Barry (GWS NT zone selection), Chris Dawes (Collingwood), David Rodan (Port Adelaide), Jesse Hogan (GWS trade incentive selection), draft selection 49

Damian Barrett's trade take: "I just don't get it. I use the word 'scattergun' to describe their approach."

Two young guns, and a wealth of experience, including foil for Clark. Scattergun sure, but not worthy of the criticism he dishes out.

FREMANTLE
In: Danyle Pearce (Port Adelaide), draft selection 37

Damian Barrett's trade take: "Ross Lyon doesn't get these things wrong. I reckon they had a good trade period, for as little work as they did."

Fremantle had a good trade period because their coach is Ross Lyon, see.

GEELONG
In: Josh Caddy (Gold Coast), Hamish McIntosh (North Melbourne), Jared Rivers (Melbourne)

Damian Barrett's trade take: "I'm ranking them pretty highly, simply because they went and got Josh Caddy."

Where's the consistency?!!?!!!?

He's not the only person in the media or football follower who hasnt been bewildered by Melbourne's "tradelotto" use of the trade period.

As a Melbourne supporter, surely you must have seen the thousands of posts here on Big Footy alone that are criticical of Neelds scattergun approach. In defence of Barrett, he is just one of many who are a little bemused by the past few weeks.

Melbourne got players to fill roles and got rid of players who were struggling for a spot in the side. How is that scattergun?

Was his criticism of Melbourne really over the top?
Yes.

Terry Wallace thought Melbourne did well and so will many others (who actually know about football and how the inner sanctums of a club work).

Barrett is an utter moron. Can I ask why people care about his opinion on building a list? Honestly.....why?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was his criticism of Melbourne really over the top?

He changed his opinion to suit his agenda. For instance when Martin went up for trade he said he was worth a pick in the 50's then when that's what martin went for he said that Brisbane had done very well and it showed how little Melbourne thought of Martin.

Terry Wallace thought Melbourne did well and so will many others (who actually know about football and how the inner sanctums of a club work).

I'm pretty certain the self proclaimed List Manager used the term 'scattergun' to describe Melbourne's trading strategy.

Marked his cards with me 10 years ago with his cry-baby character assassination of Alastair Lynch. One of far too many journos that are in it, not for the love of the game, but for the love of the sight of their own byline.

i hate the fact that these guys should now the rules they dont. barrett stated to day the cap min is 97.5%.

clampett.
I noticed he does say a lot of things that are incorrect. He was having a shot a GWS for not trying to get Tippett as a free agent but it was clear they couldn't as they had already taken Davis

Plenty worse. Wilson for starters.

He did win an industry media award this year for his sports journalism

Wow, they really are prestigious awards aren't they.:rolleyes:

He doesn't even rate when compared to Wilson, she's won more awards than he's had intercourse

Wow, they really are prestigious awards aren't they.:rolleyes:

He doesn't even rate when compared to Wilson.
Wilson isn't even a genuine sports writer. She recycles gossip.

I'd suggest that receiving an award from your peers is the best form of accolade. As I've said, I wouldn't put him amongst the best, but he's certainly not the worst. Hutchison, King, Brereton, Russell, to name a few, are more entitled to me in the 'worst' category.

Anyhoo, each to his/her own.

Wilson isn't even a genuine sports writer. She recycles gossip.

I'd suggest that receiving an award from your peers is the best form of accolade. As I've said, I wouldn't put him amongst the best, but he's certainly not the worst. Hutchison, King, Brereton, Russell, to name a few, are more entitled to me in the 'worst' category.

Anyhoo, each to his/her own.
Fair enough but I'm always a bit of a doubter when it comes to awards being judged by your peers, bit like the police investigating their own, and let's be honest they all recycle gossip including three of those you mentioned who aren't journo's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back