Player Watch Daniel Curtin - Debut

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh ffs.

Everybody whinged when we didn't rush him in. "Why are we playing him in the sanfl and making him defend?"

Because when he plays in the AFL, he will have to defend. His offensive game is fine, needs some practise at the defensive aspects.

Yes, he coughed up 5 goals today. Needed to be subbed off.

But the kid will still be a champion. This is just what it looks like when you play the kids. Maybe give him 2 weeks in the sanfl on the best forward. Or maybe just back him in in the AFL. Either way, the kid will be fine long term.

Oh ffs.

Everybody whinged when we didn't rush him in. "Why are we playing him in the sanfl and making him defend?"

Because when he plays in the AFL, he will have to defend. His offensive game is fine, needs some practise at the defensive aspects.

But the kid will still be a champion. This is just what it looks like when you play the kids. Maybe give him 2 weeks in the sanfl on the best forward. Or maybe just back him in in the AFL. Either way, the kid will be fine long term.
Great summary

Draftees are not the finished product .....most have limited defensive skills, and the commentary around Curtin has been about honing his defensive skills, not just as a DEF, but in any role he plays in the future

Guy looks off the pace. Needs more time to develop. Can’t rush kids.
Exactly. It was right to debut him last week after the good game he had in the SANFL. He did ok in the Showdown. He got exposed playing on the 6th Brisbane forward.

Lets see what he's made of and how quickly he learns. With Worrell injured, he can play either as that 3rd tall or has shown he can play on a smaller player. Collingwood don't have a big forward line, so not a need to bring in Borlase.

He will need to learn how to defend and he will need to learn quickly. Give him a job this week and see how he responds.

Great summary

Draftees are not the finished product .....most have limited defensive skills, and the commentary around Curtin has been about honing his defensive skills, not just as a DEF, but in any role he plays in the future
Don’t good sides/coaches also look to play young players in roles that may be to their strengths, rather than just exposing their weaknesses?

Is Wilson at St kilda for example a great defensive midfielder ATM? Or is Ross putting him a role where he can grow and flourish at AFL level?

Oh ffs.

So 5/6 goals you reckon were on curtin?
Because he was never on Cameron and it was Keane on Hipwood.
Certainly gave up the morris goals but 5/6 is a severe exaggeration.

Don’t good sides/coaches also look to play young players in roles that may be to their strengths, rather than just exposing their weaknesses?

Is Wilson at St kilda for example a great defensive midfielder ATM? Or is Ross putting him a role where he can grow and flourish at AFL level?
Wilson is playing as a wide winger in the Langdon (MELB) role .....using his elite running
It's a bit different to a role for a 197cm player

McKercher, who is a Mid ....is being played off HB ...why?
Likewise Sheezel, who is also a mid ....not a defender, as he's been played up until 2 weeks ago

Because Clarko wants McKercher & Sheezel to get a lot of the ball ....he played him once in the midfield this year, and he got injured, because he couldn't protect himself against bigger midfielders

A lot of coaches now are introducing rookies via defensive roles

It is becoming really clear there are big gulfs in the beliefs of both Burns & VB when it comes to ideologies and players compared to Nicks.

Nicks is doing a bit of a Robinson Crusoe in the box, a bit like what Pyke was doing in his twilight.
I’d be playing him in the Tom Lynch type role

Re Nicks, I feel the squad has outgrown him

He looked off it but that's because he was on the last line of defence every time.

When he got the ball in his hands he was actually pretty good. In the first quarter had a fend off, a side step and nice disposal.

Why we didn't move Jones back to a lockdown role on Ah Chee or Cameron, and switch Curtin to a wing I have no idea.
Because we don’t have a real coach that makes decisions on the day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it's not an exaggeration, it's fact ! .....watch the replay, and you'll see Curtin's opponents kicked 5 of BRIS's first 6 goals .....apart from Morris, another 2 goals were whilst he was on Ah Chee

No it's not an exaggeration, it's fact ! .....watch the replay, and you'll see Curtin's opponents kicked 5 of BRIS's first 6 goals .....apart from Morris, another 2 goals were whilst he was on Ah Chee
You are wrong he was not on hipwood and he was not on Cameron, that leaves 4 goals Brisbane scored in the first half, unless you are attributing another goal to him while he was subbed.
So no it’s not fact at all Wayne, it’s blatantly wrong.
I know you won’t respond as it’s what you do when you get shown up.

You are wrong he was not on hipwood and he was not on Cameron, that leaves 4 goals Brisbane scored in the first half, unless you are attributing another goal to him while he was subbed.
So no it’s not fact at all Wayne, it’s blatantly wrong.
I know you won’t respond as it’s what you do when you get shown up.
As I said, whatch the replay ....that is what you're refusing to do

I only respond to genuine conversational posts, from people wishing to talk footy ...rather than people simply venting the same stuff infinitum

I only respond to genuine conversational posts, from people wishing to talk footy ...rather than people simply venting the same stuff infinitum
Max was on Cameron for the first goal!
Keane was on Hipwood for his goal!
It’s simple maths from there on out!
So I suggest you watch again!

Wilson is playing as a wide winger in the Langdon (MELB) role .....using his elite running
It's a bit different to a role for a 197cm player

McKercher, who is a Mid ....is being played off HB ...why?
Likewise Sheezel, who is also a mid ....not a defender, as he's been played up until 2 weeks ago

Because Clarko wants McKercher & Sheezel to get a lot of the ball ....he played him once in the midfield this year, and he got injured, because he couldn't protect himself against bigger midfielders

A lot of coaches now are introducing rookies via defensive roles
So they’re playing Wilson in a role that suits and works to his strengths instead of his weaknesses.

I imagine McKercher is playing HB because he’s well skilled and they have a huge glut of midfielders already, and wasn’t Sheezel drafted as a HF more than midfield.

I get what you’re saying about needing to improve his defence, but if we rate his talent surely we find a role that plays to what he can do - like on the wing.

I’m wanting genuine conversation wanting to talk footy, given that what do you think of the decision to play Nank as sub and our gameplan that didn’t switch the play at all and instead chose to go long to contests where the Brisbane defenders had a field day?

What about the ongoing selection of McHenry?

Or are you only interested in discussing Nicks decisions you agree with?

There's a huge difference between North playing Sheezel in an unaccountable half back role allowing him to easily find the ball, and playing Curtin deeper in defense and being told to mind players because we want him to improve his defense

One is about building confidence and adjusting to AFL in an easy position, the other is the opposite

I saw Curtin on Franklin at certain stages during the 2007 elimination final

Two important questions for Nicks:

1. Are we a chance to win the flag this year?

And 2. Considering your answer to Question 1, what are you going to do with Curtin this week?

If the coach was conducting a video review with Curtin there was only 1 goal that he would highlight for the lad to learn & improve. The second Ah Chee goal where at a bounce in their forward pocket Curtin let Ah Chee get goalside of him - classic rookie error.
Coaching blunder to go into the game with such a top heavy backline - 197cm Curtin on 182cm Ah Chee whose main strength is his lightning speed. In fact I suspect that it was an admission of fault that brought about the Curtin benching.

The real questions are:

Why play your biggest young talent if you don’t trust him?

if you do trust him, why drop him the moment he makes a couple of mistakes…

WHEN NED and JONES have a free pass.

Get lost, Nicks. You’re ruining this club.

Real coaches tell the young lad “go for it, son. Make a mistake, don’t worry, we’ve got you”.

Instead let’s sub him at every opportunity.

Nicks doesn’t rate him. Simple as that. Clearly was reluctant to debut him. That’s not the way you treat young players. You back them in.

Nicks would have been LOVING his game on the weekend. A few costly mistakes so Nicks can go "See! Told you he wasn't ready. Back to the twos to work on his game."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back