Past Daniel McStay (2013-2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely on a pretty good development curve in my opinion.

Will be interesting to see how he goes after a pre-season training with the forwards instead of learning on the fly. He's going to be a pretty powerful boy after two more years in the gym as well.

Definitely on a pretty good development curve in my opinion.

Will be interesting to see how he goes after a pre-season training with the forwards instead of learning on the fly. He's going to be a pretty powerful boy after two more years in the gym as well.
Incredibly similar to Gary Pert....which is fantastic.

Looked a completely different player when he had to take on the second defender rather than play out of square. Leading to wing, pack marks, it was awesome to watch against Doggies. Will be a monster when he fills out in the next year or two.

Player Reviews: Part Five

Second year player Daniel McStay’s season was characterised by steady development and a handful of standout performances: the 20-year-old had two 3 goal hauls and a career best four goals in Round Six against Carlton. McStay missed two matches with a finger injury, and struggled for consistency at times, as he shifted between playing forward and back as Coach Justin Leppitsch experimented as the Lions struggled with injuries. McStay holds plenty of promise for Lions fans, with his strong marking hands and big-bodied presence suggesting a strong future in the Club’s forward line.

Where will they line up in 2016?

At 195cm and 95kg, Daniel McStay is the perfect prototype for a back or a forward. With a strong marking ability and big bodied frame, the 20-year-old could play at both ends of the ground.

Drafted as a defender, during his years with the Eastern Ranges in the TAC Cup U18 competition, he showed an ability to shut down opposition forwards while providing good counter-attack. McStay’s second season at the Gabba was characterised by steady development and a handful of standout performances. He had two 3 goal hauls and a career best four goals in Round Six against Carlton, playing 20 games.

Training with the defensive group this pre-season, McStay has added plenty of bulk to his frame and looks to join the Club’s backs from 2016 and beyond.

NAB Challenge: 5 things we learned from GWS Giants win over Brisbane Lions

DANIEL McStay’s move to defence will be an asset for Brisbane. He played on Jeremy Cameron and although the Giants star booted 4 after a strong finish, he barely touched the ball in the first half where McStay took the honours. And he would rarely be called on to play on the opposition’s biggest forward. It was just that Daniel Merrett was called on to play on Giants ruckman Rory Lobb who was used as a forward for much of the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr Underrated: Who deserves more credit?

DAN McSTAY
Season so far:
Was monstered by Josh Kennedy in the opening round under an avalanche of inside 50s, but bounced back well in the past fortnight. Was swung forward against the Cats and kicked a goal.
Why you probably don't rate him: Most key position prospects take time to develop and McStay is no different. He's shown glimpses in his 32 games, but the 20-year-old hasn't done it consistently enough to grab headlines.
Why you should: He'll ultimately settle in defence, but McStay has already carried the attacking load last season and shown he can play both ends of the ground. He has excellent speed, is strong overhead, uses the ball well and will round out into an excellent key position package.

574caa58c4ff1ffdfc9d5db3bd27a034

Externally, Dan McStay seems like he is really taking ownership of his position within the club being a regular at various media events.

He came to my club's footy training tonight.

He's no future coach :D

Good bloke though, not overly outspoken though. Made a decent impression

Reserves Wrap - Aspley Hornets - 23/04/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Returned from a week of illness and played as a key back for us. He was probably best on ground – playing on one of Aspley’s keys. Again, like Sammy Mayes he had a terrific attitude was up and about early. A big goal of his was to take intercept marks, which he did. He took 14 marks on the day, seven of them from opposition kicks. He was able to set himself and position himself really well in the contest to be able to win the ball back for us. He probably let himself down a little by his ball use by foot in the back half. He probably wasn’t as composed in the back half and turned the ball over. That’s an area for him to be able to work on throughout the week.

Wow his past two weeks playing as a key defender have been borderline elite and if that seems like a big statement to you I implore you to go back and watch him intently against the Demons and Hawks and you'll realise that isn't that big of a statement to make. He has been magnificent winning I'd say 90% of his 1 on 1 contests(Someone could correct me on that using stats but it definitely seems that way).

He has taken some terrific contested marks and executed some really strong, timely spoils. On top of that he has shown a willingness to take the game on and contribute offensively. He seems to have gained a fair bit of confidence in his ability to compete physically as he has taken the opposition on and successfully broken free on many occasions the past two weeks. He definitely looks stronger now then he did in his first two seasons.

Late in the game he made a costly error and yet I was impressed. With 2 minutes left we were down by 8 goals and the game was done and dusted. He had the ball in congestion on the half back line and instead of booting the ball aimlessly down the wing to a pack of players he decided to analyse his options and pin point a pass to a player in the corridor. It was a risky kick as despite the fact that there was a Lions player free a Hawks player was lurking nearby. I liked the fact that he had the confidence to take the game on anyway and the kick had to be absolutely perfect for him to pull it off, and it pretty much was but the Hawks player was just able to get a spoil on it and it resulted in a Hawks goal. We were down by 7/8 odd goals late in the game so I liked the fact that he showed a willingness to try and pull something risky off that had the potential to pay dividends for us. I reckon the coaching staff would have liked that.

For the first time, I think that not only does McStay have a real future, that future might be better than most expected. He really does have some great skills that, as a defender might see him become A grade, perhaps even elite.

He has the opportunity to use his excellent leap and aerial skills, combined with very good attacking instincts to really become the type of defender that turns games. Full credit to him on his efforts. I hope he increasingly sees himself as the player he could become. My gut feeling is that he might have eventually turn into a useful 3rd medium/tall forward type without being a real star. However, far better that he could be an extraordinarily good intercepting counter-attacking defensive superstar who is also able to swing forward from time to time. That would be a real win for us.

Wow his past two weeks playing as a key defender have been borderline elite and if that seems like a big statement to you I implore you to go back and watch him intently against the Demons and Hawks and you'll realise that isn't that big of a statement to make. He has been magnificent winning I'd say 90% of his 1 on 1 contests(Someone could correct me on that using stats but it definitely seems that way).

He has taken some terrific contested marks and executed some really strong, timely spoils. On top of that he has shown a willingness to take the game on and contribute offensively. He seems to have gained a fair bit of confidence in his ability to compete physically as he has taken the opposition on and successfully broken free on many occasions the past two weeks. He definitely looks stronger now then he did in his first two seasons.

Late in the game he made a costly error and yet I was impressed. With 2 minutes left we were down by 8 goals and the game was done and dusted. He had the ball in congestion on the half back line and instead of booting the ball aimlessly down the wing to a pack of players he decided to analyse his options and pin point a pass to a player in the corridor. It was a risky kick as despite the fact that there was a Lions player free a Hawks player was lurking nearby. I liked the fact that he had the confidence to take the game on anyway and the kick had to be absolutely perfect for him to pull it off, and it pretty much was but the Hawks player was just able to get a spoil on it and it resulted in a Hawks goal. We were down by 7/8 odd goals late in the game so I liked the fact that he showed a willingness to try and pull something risky off that had the potential to pay dividends for us. I reckon the coaching staff would have liked that.

I agree. His last two weeks have been super down back.

His showed some real leadership down there too, instructing the younger and older ones where to go.

I think people are getting mildly carried away on McStay. Would not be describing anything he does as "elite" at this point.

Great potential but needs far more consistent application. Plays like he has ADHD.

I think people are getting mildly carried away on McStay. Would not be describing anything he does as "elite" at this point.

Great potential but needs far more consistent application. Plays like he has ADHD.
I have said for two years,he's the most skilful player we have,and for those educated in footy history, is very similar to Roos and Pert as youngsters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back