Daniel Menzel

Remove this Banner Ad

I know Daniel Menzel personally I can tell you that certainly he will not be leaving Geelong at the end of 2012.

Troy Menzel on the other hand is someone that I would love to see in a Port guernsey, hes exactly what we need.

My GF's brother played with/is friends with Troy Menzel. Everyone I've spoken to (at Golden Grove and Centrals) rates Troy higher than Daniel which must say something about the quality of Troy. I would love for him to land at Port.

A family with dodgy knees? No thanks. Especially after his stellar season now is not the time to trade for him as you will be paying huge overs without any guarantees that he'll actually be right. Has an extreamly small sample size of game to choose from but they are from game in a premiership side dominating so can be misleading.

May develop into a champion if he stays at Geelong but what are his chances of doing that here without the quality players and mentors around him? At Geelong he also has the luxury of not having the onus of the number 1st, 2nd or ever 3rd more important player at the club in terms of winning games so can just focus on his on development. This is something I feel is holding Boak back, the fact that as a young midfielder he is expected to be our best player. Not just this year but for a while now.

Guys firstly let me say , I hope Menzel stays.

Dan is and will be a quality player. Whether its a mid or to my mind a DPP iis yet to be determined. As a forward mids I can see him being so valuable , in that he can spend time in the middle but can be used where his skill can be the most lethal , the forwardline. In that sense I see him as similar to Chapman and SJ. Can play mid but at there most dangerous around goals. He may well become a player a FF before he has finished , certainly has the finish to do do.

Having said that I can understand other clubs not rating him. Yes he has played in a good side etc. He had to work very hard to get his chance and then harder to maintain his spot. Now he has done his knee , he does look like damaged goods but hopefully he gets back before years end and shows he has lost nothing and proves to all he is worth a good rise in contract.
Certainly he is making the right noises about saying but have heard that before , so we will see.
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2012/05/10/325141_gfc.html

As to his brother being more talented. We that my be but from years before both played the word was Nathan was more talented than Gary Ablett , so I tend to wait and see on that.

Would I like Boak. Of course but I doubt he will come here but we will be in a unusual situation at years end to pay the right type of money to attract someone. If we did chase him I would suspect we we would probably offer picks unless someone wants to go and the same player appealed to Port

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2012/05/11/325431_gfc.html

Yeah thats not how you do it

so how are geelong going to get one of the first few draft picks in a superdraft

Don't they have the Ablett compensation picks. What did the end up being.. can we use them

We have one comp pick left.
The first one was used to allow us to draft Billie Smedts.
The one we have is a pick thats directly after our natural R1 pick , ie finish last it become p2 , finish 1st and have p18 , the comp pick becomes p19.

Id estimate us finishing closer to top than bottom this year. So although in a "super" draft it would be handy , its not a single figure draft pick.
Now if it was trade , could it be used? Nor sure. We have not decided to use it ourselves but if it was trade could it be activated?

So .. for Boak. Id suspect it would have to be the comp pick and something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which doesn't matter, because its not going to get us a midfielder that is particularly likely to be better than Boak, and would make our midfield even more s**t in the meantime.

Which is why `trade Boak to Geelong for early draft pick to improve midfield' is complete nonsense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back